Upper French/Nipissing Conditions:

wjw

Pulled this off the Government webstite:

Lake Nipissing and French River

Recorded Water Level Forecast

The following is the water level forecast for Lake Nipissing and the French River as of Tuesday, May 22, 2012, as provided by Public Works and Government Services Canada. The precipitation at the French River Dams station for May, as of May 22, was 11% of the monthly average. The inflows into the lake are currently below the long-term average inflow.

Lake Nipissing

As of May 22, 2012, the water level elevation of Lake Nipissing was 195.86 metres. The lake level is 3 centimetres above the long-term average. The lake level is expected to decline during the next few days. Further change in the lake level is dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation.

French River

At Dry Pine Bay, the river level on May 22, 2012, was 180.70 metres, which corresponds to a flow of 81 cubic metres per second. The river level is 92 centimetres below the long-term average, which corresponds to a flow of 179 cubic metres per second below the long-term average. The river is expected to decline during the next few days. Further change in the river levels will be dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation.

I am heading up the week after. If you could report back on the conditions you mentioned I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Lots of water.. Temps are around 55-60 degrees and going up fast with this weather...

Many people swiming on opening weekend.

Very few black flies or mosquitoes at this time.. it is too dry for them.

Reports are cabbage weeds are already up good.

Fire ban in the area so no open fires allowed.

Walleyes and pike fishing is currenly good.

the capt.

Bushy, thanks for the info and the link. I will post the particulars from my trip but it sounds like you will be fishing by the time I arrive home.

Capt, good info. Do you know if the lilacs are in bloom in the area? I have for years used this as a gauge. Fishing really seems to take off when the purple flower shows it face.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back late last night from my annual trip to the Upper French. We fish strickly for pike and fishing was off. The pike I did catch were down deep in the weeds. I used a count down before starting my retrieve which allowed lure to get into the zone. There were very few weeds to be found near the surface. Our group of three did catch 5 accidental muskies. All coming off shoals or coastline rock. We talked to other groups that were fishing for walleye and they told us that fishing was better than normal.

The water level was just about normal for spring. The water temperature was 61 to 63 degrees in open water and around 67 in the bays. Black flys and mosquitoes were not an issue and only mildly aggressive one time near sunset.

We had windy conditions 4 of the 7 days but that is about par for the spring. Wednesday and Friday were two very tough days of fishing with steady afternoon rain and temps in the mid to upper 50's. Monday was the warmest at near 80 and my most productive fish day. The open fire ban was still in effect when we left on Saturday morning.

a word of caution for the night time commuters. Keep alert. In New York state I had two deer step out on the highway and then turn and bolt as I slammed on the breaks. If they had not changed direction, I would have surely hit them. Elsewhere in NY state, underneath a bridge, I hit about 3 or 4 inches of water on the road that fished tailed/hydoplaned my car. I just barely was able to keep control. The standing water was from a storm that had passed through just prior to my arrival.

Got back late last night from my annual trip to the Upper French. We fish strickly for pike and fishing was off. The pike I did catch were down deep in the weeds. I used a count down before starting my retrieve which allowed lure to get into the zone. There were very few weeds to be found near the surface. Our group of three did catch 5 accidental muskies. All coming off shoals or coastline rock. We talked to other groups that were fishing for walleye and they told us that fishing was better than normal.

The water level was just about normal for spring. The water temperature was 61 to 63 degrees in open water and around 67 in the bays. Black flys and mosquitoes were not an issue and only mildly aggressive one time near sunset.

We had windy conditions 4 of the 7 days but that is about par for the spring. Wednesday and Friday were two very tough days of fishing with steady afternoon rain and temps in the mid to upper 50's. Monday was the warmest at near 80 and my most productive fish day. The open fire ban was still in effect when we left on Saturday morning.

a word of caution for the night time commuters. Keep alert. In New York state I had two deer step out on the highway and then turn and bolt as I slammed on the breaks. If they had not changed direction, I would have surely hit them. Elsewhere in NY state, underneath a bridge, I hit about 3 or 4 inches of water on the road that fished tailed/hydoplaned my car. I just barely was able to keep control. The standing water was from a storm that had passed through just prior to my arrival.

You come all the way to the upper French to taget PIKE? Walleye fishing has been great so far this year.

You come all the way to the upper French to taget PIKE? Walleye fishing has been great so far this year.

Yes I do.

We have limited pike fishing in Ohio but have access to some of the best walleye anywhere. Pike is a true sport fish and in my opinion, as tasty as walleye or perch. My trip to the Upper French each year is as much about the beauty/history of the region as it is about the fishing. If you are a local, appreciate what you have because it is priceless.

My trip to the Upper French each year is as much about the beauty/history of the region as it is about the fishing.

My feelings exactly pick !!!!

That region is beautiful and I could fish all week and get skunked and still come away saying I had a fantastic trip.

Good to hear you boys had a great time.

I was lucky this weekend and gave my self the site seeing tour up there yesterday , what i noticed was , every peice of water was begging to be fished , After the morning rains were over it turned out to be a great afternoon , hope its still like that when i can get back up there with the boat , glad to hear every one had a good time fishing it this weekend .

Had a great week on the lower French. It was my 6th Annual Spring Fishing trip. Water levels were the lowest I have seen. We usually target pickerel and end up catching pike. This year was different. We caught several pickerel and only a dozen or so pike. Pickerel were caught trolling and jigging with minnows and worms.

Black flies were pretty much non existant and the mosquitoes were only out in the early morning and evening. Looking forward to next year already!

I agree with the above posts. Could have a fantastic trip without catching a thing.

My feelings exactly pick !!!!

That region is beautiful and I could fish all week and get skunked and still come away saying I had a fantastic trip.

Good to hear you boys had a great time.

I'll second that. Same reasons Patsy and I keep coming back to that area year after year. Trust me, I went through a six-year SKUNK without catching a musky - which I finally broke last year. Who knows, maybe it will start all over again this year. Just a beautiful part of Canada and only a days-drive for us. We'll keep coming back to that area as long as we are able - catching or not.

Oh yeah ... only 4 more days and I'll be back. Good night's sleep on Friday and then hitting the opener first thing Saturday am.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hey Rich, when are you heading back to the French this summer?

I arrive at Lakair this Friday afternoon (June 15) and staying the next week and heading home on the 23rd. I'll be back up on the French September 8th thru the 22nd. First Week at Wolseley Lodge and the second on the North Channel at Rainbow Camp.