shimano rods

workwear

any one know of where i can get an exchange on my crucial....snapped it on the weekend playing with a little laker

would hate to ship it

thanks in avance

I'd like to see the responses for this as well since I'm new to the Shimano flock

The stories I've heard lately Indictate that there is no more over-the-counter exchanges happening, unless of course your dealer does you a favor. All rods are being sent back to shimano (at your expense) so they can determine whether it's a defect (warranty, free replacement/repair) or user error (cost of repair/replacement forwarded to customer)

G.Loomis has also instituted a $20 fee for ANY warranty service, although people with NRX reel seat issues seem to be excluded.

Edit: spelling. Damn iPhone!

Edited by bdox

The days of replacement no questions asked onshimano rods is long over. I have a compre I broke while fishing about 6 inches from the end and they say its not covered. I also broke a vrod last year and they didn't replace that either. Netiher got fixed and both are still sitting here. I figure the Compre I'll eventually buy an end guide on it, but I just haven't got around to it. I have not bought a single shimano product since. Bought a few other reels of different mfg's and a few rods as well. Mostly St.Croix and Ardent. I did buy a G.Loomis GL2 though.

Anyone know if they discontinued the Cumara 7'1" xfast medium action spinning rod?? I bought one at BPS and turns out one of the guides was damaged; took it back to BPS and they said they don't offer that model anymore and I can either get a refund or choose a different model Cumara. Oh yeah, they also suggested I keep the damaged rod they sold me, ship it to Peterborough myself and have them replace it, but I would have to assume any costs incurred. BPS Blows! Now I'm having a hard time finding the Cumara drop shot rod, anyone know what store has em in stock?

I have a compre I broke while fishing about 6 inches from the end and they say its not covered.

That surprises me. I broke the tip on an almost new Compre on the door of the boathouse fishing last year and Shimano replaced it, no questions asked. This was at the Shimano office in Peterborough.

The stories I've heard lately Indictate that there is no more over-the-counter exchanges happening, unless of course your dealer does you a favor. All rods are being sent back to shimano (at your expense) so they can determine whether it's a defect (warranty, free replacement/repair) or user error (cost of repair/replacement forwarded to customer)

G.Loomis has also instituted a $20 fee for ANY warranty service, although people with NRX reel seat issues seem to be excluded.

Edit: spelling. Damn iPhone!

I am a Shimano dealer and I havent heard this as of yet (they may be doing this but i havent heard anything from the ontario reps) as of right now we are still running over the counter replacement (if in stock) or having the replacement shipped in. no shipping costs are incurred either. I dont know how other shops handle their warranties but if a shimano product isn't purchased here i must have the original sales receipt showing what you bought, where and when.

I am a Shimano dealer and I havent heard this as of yet (they may be doing this but i havent heard anything from the ontario reps) as of right now we are still running over the counter replacement (if in stock) or having the replacement shipped in. no shipping costs are incurred either. I dont know how other shops handle their warranties but if a shimano product isn't purchased here i must have the original sales receipt showing what you bought, where and when.

Yes Shimano still has the best customer service as far as Im concerned.You do have to take it to where you bought it though. Why should some small shop here replace your rod that you saved money on by getting it at BPS or the states. That's why you should buy your stuff from a local shop.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Aikman's in Mississauga used to do replacements no questions asked but they were told not to anymore. He said that some shops will do it but they are under no obligation to do so. The only sure bet is to hit the Peterborough head office and its hit and miss if they will replace it. I know some guys that have had no issues, and other that have had lots of issues. I really liked the feel of that compre for drop shoting. I keep staring at it wishing I could get it replaced. maybe I'll try again in Peterborough and see what happens. I rarely get out there during the week though.

Dito on the go back to the store you got it from if you still have the receipt. I rarely buy anything from bass pro big ticket that may need warranty work because I know what there service is like. I like to buy my stuff from JB's. He has always been good to me and I have no complaints about that store other than I wish they sold more Bass Rod's, but I get that he specializes more in Musky and big water rigger type stuff. I can normally find what I am looking for there though.

Traded several emails with shimano about this last year when i tried to get two of my rods replaced. Turn me off of shimano,Only trouble is I have about a dozen shimano rods and a dozen shimano reels. They are slowly starting to get weeded out.

im in the same boat as you jedi.....12 shimano rods and 12 shimano reels...hope they dont give me a run around....overall im happy with their product...but if they dont wanna stand behind them...ill have to wait and see ....thanks all for your input!!

Aikman's in Mississauga used to do replacements no questions asked but they were told not to anymore. He said that some shops will do it but they are under no obligation to do so. The only sure bet is to hit the Peterborough head office and its hit and miss if they will replace it. I know some guys that have had no issues, and other that have had lots of issues. I really liked the feel of that compre for drop shoting. I keep staring at it wishing I could get it replaced. maybe I'll try again in Peterborough and see what happens. I rarely get out there during the week though.

Dito on the go back to the store you got it from if you still have the receipt. I rarely buy anything from bass pro big ticket that may need warranty work because I know what there service is like. I like to buy my stuff from JB's. He has always been good to me and I have no complaints about that store other than I wish they sold more Bass Rod's, but I get that he specializes more in Musky and big water rigger type stuff. I can normally find what I am looking for there though.

Aikmans was a joke. They were dropped as a service center because shimano had too many complaints from customers trying to deal with them!

The new shimano rods, from crucial up, have the wild card warrenty, a one time, no questions asked free replacement on a broken rod, over the counter. After that, I believe its a $60 warrenty fee for a broken rod.

As far as I know Shimano is still doing their best to stand behind their products. the fact is if too many people abusing the warranty, the tighter the service will be. if the rod was broken because of abuse, miss use or accident, don't try to get it replace, sure they will take it back and give you a new one, but when it starting to hurt their bottom line, the next guy with a real "defects" rod may have a hard time to get service.

About retailer doing over the counter, it is up to the store, best is take it back to where you brought it since the retail should fulfills the after sells service. If the customer choose to use another retailer, a service charge should be apply but again it is up to the store. I was working in the store yesterday and a customer came in and mentioned his crucial rod broke and the store he purchase the rod from is no longer in business, he was not sure what to do, we took the rod and told him we will sent out the rod for replacement, no charge.

Aikmans was a joke. They were dropped as a service center because shimano had too many complaints from customers trying to deal with them!

The new shimano rods, from crucial up, have the wild card warrenty, a one time, no questions asked free replacement on a broken rod, over the counter. After that, I believe its a $60 warrenty fee for a broken rod.

they all carry the standard limited lifetime warranty plain and simple. the fees are for products out of warranty. 2jack2, that is how i was raised to take care of customers and that is how i take care of mine now.

"they all carry the standard limited lifetime warranty plain and simple."

DaveMC, unfortunately that is not correct.

Many of the new Shimano rods are moving to Wild Card program. It has been confirmed directly from Shimano that the standard warranty/expeditor program will be a thing of the past - all rods will have the wild card program.

Anyone know if they discontinued the Cumara 7'1" xfast medium action spinning rod?? I bought one at BPS and turns out one of the guides was damaged; took it back to BPS and they said they don't offer that model anymore and I can either get a refund or choose a different model Cumara. Oh yeah, they also suggested I keep the damaged rod they sold me, ship it to Peterborough myself and have them replace it, but I would have to assume any costs incurred. BPS Blows! Now I'm having a hard time finding the Cumara drop shot rod, anyone know what store has em in stock?

Forget the Cumara and spend a little more for a Cumulus or a G Loomis, a little more money for at least twice the rod

Shimano does lot's for the fishing industry and that's why I like them. They make great reels nice rods and have never been a issue with me. I send rods back and they are replaced with new models. So old Crucial's were replaced with the new generation Crucial's. Reels are now all a $25 repair fee from Shimano for the labor....9 times out of ten the parts to fix your reel are warranty covered also.

Being in Peterborough and being a fine product with little issues I like there gear, G.Loomis however is my finer choice when talking rods :P

So to answer your question workwear, bring it to a local store other than bps or mail it to Peterborough :)

"they all carry the standard limited lifetime warranty plain and simple."

DaveMC, unfortunately that is not correct.

Many of the new Shimano rods are moving to Wild Card program. It has been confirmed directly from Shimano that the standard warranty/expeditor program will be a thing of the past - all rods will have the wild card program.

if they are changing they are changing for next years stock (which will be released this fall), and they havent told their canadian sales reps. as of right now all 2012 the rods i have in stock from Clarus on up have the life time warranty on them, indicated by the limited lifetime warranty slip on the reel seat.