A good Walleye trolling rod

mercman

Heading to Sail tonite to look into getting a new Rod for trolling walleye.I want to be versatile so if i can get away from a Trolling ''Specfic'' rod, then thats what i will do. What should i be looking at as far as length, action,strength etc.

I will be holding the rod while trolling, so its not a down rigger or anything like that.

Thanks as always for the tips.thumbsup_anim.gif

The St Croix Eyecon trolling rods are great. I've got the 8' models. They are perfect for trolling cranks and bouncers. Actually quite light for an 8' rod.

I prefer longer rods for trolling for 2 reasons, first being spreading the baits out, and making it easier for folks to keep the line out of the motor. Also when landing fish with bouncers and longer leaders it is easier to get the fish to the net with a longer rod.

I like to just use whatever rod I use for jigging, which is usually a med lite fast action. I like the sensitivity because it lets me know if my lure is caught up on something or not as the action on the tip of the rod will stop or change if its caught up on weeds, etc. It also helps me to differentiate if my crankbait is bouncing the bottom or if I am getting a strike. Bouncing bottom on sand flats has worked in triggering strikes for me when trolling.

We have a trailer on the BOQ and troll all the time. A 7ft with a soft tip and stong backbone. The soft tip to tell you if you have picked up weeds or a silver bass, and a stong backbone for when you get the fish to the boat.

I am not one to buy any particular brand as long as it feels good to me, then I will buy it.

Regards

BPS Walleye Angler Special are great all round rods, very light and sensitive, I have a 7' version wich is a bouncer rod but also excellent for casting and trolling (my favourite) they come in various sizes and you don't have to break the bank to buy one.

well... i guess im the odd man out....

i just got a 7'11" heavy power med fast st croix legend extreme for trolling walleye...

on the system we fish paul there are always floating weeds being pushed all over the place through the whole water column by current... its impossible to keep em off your line.... so the heavier stiffer rod makes it easier to "snap" the weeds off without reeling in...it also makes it easier to add the extra action i showed you... a softer rod would just bend and flop....

and if you do run into an unexpected catch(got about 20 musky all the way to 50 inches while fishing walleye last year as well as a 13 pound sheephead and a 25 pound carp...on the troll...)...you have the backbone to land it...

i know most guys will say you rip hooks out with these bigger rods... but last time out me and zack got 17 walleye and only missed one that just bumped it... you just gotta set your drag right....

i know one really good angler that uses a musky rod for rod in hand trolling for walleye here...

anyways... thats just me and a bunch of guys that troll the larry...

i use my shimano 6ft compre jigging rod for the little troling i do, this beeing said i troll maybe 10% out of my 120 day guiding season,the other 90% is jigging with my 5"4 gloomis...but my compre does the job for trolling thin fins,husky jerks,deep tails dancers etc

thanks for the tip mike il have to try out my musky rods for walleyes when i get the bigger lures out in august

I like something a tad longer in the medium power class specifically for trolling walleye. I splurged earlier this spring on a st croix eyecon 7'6" medium extra fast action. Haven't caught anything on it yet but it sure feels sweet. My friend bought a 7' medium heavy clarus for walleye trolling the same day. It also seems like a nice rod. Good luck with your purchase.

Save your money. Use your 7' med Quantum with either the Accudepth or the 5000 and you'll have fun.

Oh ya ? Hummm. Then where do i put my Citica LOL !!!!! My dilema is rodless reel i want/need to pair up. So i figure getting another rod, and playing some rod roulette.whistling.gif

Oh ya ? Hummm. Then where do i put my Citica LOL !!!!! My dilema is rodless reel i want/need to pair up. So i figure getting another rod, and playing some rod roulette.whistling.gif

easy get yourself a good jigging rod :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

where do you plan on trolling? doing boq or st.lawrence is different set of conditions then kawarthas and what you want to tow? cranks bottom bouncers long line harness? to me each of these techniques requires i different set up

for bottom bounching i use a 6.6 to 72 mh extra fast just enough to get the top 6-8 inches of rod bouncing

small medium crank rod 6.6 7.0 moderate action use same rod to drag a harness with a rubber core

large crank trolling 8-9 ft rigger style rod with a countdown reel

planer board 8 ft rod like a bps signature series rod with a sc27 counter reel

just to much choice at the end i prefer St croix for overall weight and sensitivity

Well, after reading all the incredible info here, and speaking with the walleye guy at Sail, i chose a 7' H Medium fast action Compre. Sensitive enough for Walleye, with backbone when i need it. I can also double duty the rod as a Musky rod when necessary.

Thanks all clapping.gif My arsenal is now complete.

Well, after reading all the incredible info here, and speaking with the walleye guy at Sail, i chose a 7' H Medium fast action Compre. Sensitive enough for Walleye, with backbone when i need it. I can also double duty the rod as a Musky rod when necessary.

Thanks all clapping.gif My arsenal is now complete.

nice rod i have the same rod i use for bottom bouncing with a flippin switch reel

I too am looking at the St.Croix Eyecon 7' MH casting rod as well!!! Looks sweet for 120$ compared to the 240$ 7' MH Legend Tournament. Put on a older Curado or Chronarch, with 20lb braid and use it for bottom bouncing or casting/trolling crank baits. Bring a 6'3 rod for jigging, a 6'6" rod for jigs/cranks/drop shot, and a few other stiffer rods for pike, and I'm good for most of my pike/walleye trips(Nip/Bisco/Quebec/Lady E/etc).

Edited by Sconceptor