Mouse in the cold room

well unsuccessful first night in the hunt for THE mouse :wallbash:

Found one of the two traps on the triggered and on floor under a bag of old cloths with no bait in it...maybe the mouse was caught in it jumped and pulled it under the bag and somehow escaped....

The second one also with no bait but in its place and NOT triggered at all....

Score so far is 2:0 for the mouse in my cold room and it is well fed now.....brrrrrrr.....

Not impressed with those traps...just re baited again and if no success again tonight may fix the problem the good old way...i.e. take everything out of the cold room and kill the damn mouse with my own shoe...those Micki Mouse traps (pun intended) are not worth anything... :unsure: but then what do I expect from $1.59 traps :mellow:

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Emil, try this...

As I know you have kids, you probably have some of those fruit roll ups that kids like as a snack. Take a piece of the roll up and roll it in your fingers until it gets soft. Jam it onto the business end of the trap and set the trap.

Mice love this stuff and it will harden soon after the heat of your fingers is gone. They will actually tug on the fruit rollup to get it off the trap. It also emits a pungent fruit odor that they can't resist... and it can be used over and over as the little buggers can't get it off the trap.

HH

Don't give up yet. It's a bit like fishing---you can't 'land' them all. I get mice often in the spring and fall. I just use the cheap traps with p. butter. Some of those traps are a bit harder to trip than others---some are so sensitive that they are hard to set. I guess the quality control on such cheap items is not the best

well unsuccessful first night in the hunt for THE mouse wallbash.gif

Found one of the two traps on the triggered and on floor under a bag of old cloths with no bait in it...maybe the mouse was caught in it jumped and pulled it under the bag and somehow escaped....

The second one also with no bait but in its place and NOT triggered at all....

Score so far is 2:0 for the mouse in my cold room and it is well fed now.....brrrrrrr.....

Not impressed with those traps...just re baited again and if no success again tonight may fix the problem the good old way...i.e. take everything out of the cold room and kill the damn mouse with my own shoe...those Micki Mouse traps (pun intended) are not worth anything... unsure.gif but then what do I expect from $1.59 traps mellow.gif

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Its my experience that you have to slightly bend the trip lever most of the time on these traps, to make them more sensitve.sometimes they get bent in packing or shipping.They are still the best and cheapest way to trap the little guys.

If the mice are clearing the bait without tripping the trap; go get some of those sheets or tray sticky traps. If a mouse even slightly touches the sticky surface it won’t be going anywhere. A couple of things I don’t like about the sticky traps are; they don’t kill the mouse you usually have the honor of doing that. Or when you find a mouse stuck to it they’ll have chewed through one of their appendages trying to get away; not the most humane thing; but these traps work when you have mice that have figured out the spring traps.

Dan.

If the mice are clearing the bait without tripping the trap; go get some of those sheets or tray sticky traps. If a mouse even slightly touches the sticky surface it won’t be going anywhere. A couple of things I don’t like about the sticky traps are; they don’t kill the mouse you usually have the honor of doing that. Or when you find a mouse stuck to it they’ll have chewed through one of their appendages trying to get away; not the most humane thing; but these traps work when you have mice that have figured out the spring traps.

Dan.

What you end up with is bass/pike/musky bait! :whistling:

HH

Mice in a cold room, pickup the Victor wooden snap traps preferably with the yellow plastic paddle, with the little hook to fasten your bait, mice are always looking for nesting material, and food, so take a piece of small cotton ball, and dab a very small amount of peanut butter on the cottonball, then hook the cottonball with peanut to the hook on the mouse trap, that way he or she has to work to get the bait, also mice can get through the opening the diameter of a pencil, so if you can see lite through it ie a door, mice can get through it, check all the lines coming into the house ie cable, gas, hydro etc, and make sure the caulking is still in place, mice are great climbers so dont be afraid to look up, etc where your hydro meter and line go through the soffit etc giving them access to your attick, any other questions pm me, and I will try to help you further as ive been an exterminator for 30 years

IF

Just put out a couple of traps and make sure your exterior vent is covered with some screen (metal not the chewable stuff used in windows and doors). The mice have found a way in and the only way to stop them from using it is to plug the leak. If you find a small hole or gap between the rim joist and foundation plug it with some steel wool (available at the hardware store), this will keep them from coming in.

Once in place, give the steel wool a good spraying of WD40...animals of all sorts don't like it...

I'm surprised no one has suggested this.

Bucket Mouse Trap

P1010025-486x369.jpg

I did already..... They work great. Just get a bucket, pout a dowel through it with a water bottle on the dowel. and smear peanut butter all the way around in ring in the middle of the bottle. then put a 2x4 ramp up to the rim of the bucket. If you want them dead, put about 6 inches of water in the bottom of the bucket. Or a bunch of your mouse traps... possibly some 4 inch nails, or even funnel into a garbage disposal....

I did already..... They work great. Just get a bucket, pout a dowel through it with a water bottle on the dowel. and smear peanut butter all the way around in ring in the middle of the bottle. then put a 2x4 ramp up to the rim of the bucket. If you want them dead, put about 6 inches of water in the bottom of the bucket. Or a bunch of your mouse traps... possibly some 4 inch nails, or even funnel into a garbage disposal....

Must have missed your post as I was looking through the thread. Gotta get my eye checked :lol:

If the mice are clearing the bait without tripping the trap; go get some of those sheets or tray sticky traps. If a mouse even slightly touches the sticky surface it won't be going anywhere. A couple of things I don't like about the sticky traps are; they don't kill the mouse you usually have the honor of doing that. Or when you find a mouse stuck to it they'll have chewed through one of their appendages trying to get away; not the most humane thing; but these traps work when you have mice that have figured out the spring traps.

Dan.

The ones i tried didnt work too well.The mice were gone and all that was left was little butt shaped tufts of hair where they sat for a minute to ask themselves if they had really fallen for that old trick againdry.gif

I've tried all sorts of mouse traps and the old style cheep wooden work the best. Make sure you get the peanut butter inside the little loop on the trigger so it has to work to get it all out, place them along a wall as suggested. You will get them (yes, there is likely more than one). Once you are sure there are no more mice in there, spray the whole area with a mixture of bleach and water (10:1 ratio seems to work well) to disinfect it.

Give everything a really good cleaning and disinfect again. Then always leave a trap set for the future just in case they ever find their way back again. Mice leave a scent trail that others can follow.

With 46 replies (a lot more than some fishing reports), if we all went down we could scare the whole colony, get some fishing in with the carcasses have a fish BBQ. :whistling:

I had one in my shed last year, with what I put down from CT in there, he was almost dust after a few days. That stuff drys them up. I wouldn't use it indoors, too many places to hide after a meal.

get all the apples out and supply them with a different menu.

Mix a little antifreeze into the water then they don't stink when they die. It'll last for months in the attic and it doesn't freeze over the winter. Antifreeze is also a poison.

Dan O.