With all the bear posts lately...

That cinnamin is one monster bear!

That wasn't even the biggest one. I'm looking through alot of my old unorganized pics trying to find some others. I had one that had to be close to 600lbs, man it was hyyyuge.

I also have pics of a 700lb (ish) black bear that was hands down the largest living black bear I've ever encountered. I did see one dead on the 502 highway that was close to a 1000lbs, hit by and old lady in a small diesel car. I think it was in a local paper even? The bear wa almost bigger then the car, I think it was one of those old diesel rabbits????

I'm in NW Ontario, I've lived with bears, deer, moose, mountain lions etc... It's all pretty cool to see. Nothing really bothers me accept for wolfs, big wolfs in packs scare the hell outta me for some reason

So there are cinnamon bears in NW ontario? Is it the same species as a black bear, just different colors?

They are grizzly bears, not black bears.

Yes, lots of grizzlies, and lots of cinnamon grizzlies. Although, I grew up seeing grizzlies all the time, but I just started seeing cinnamon grizzlies about 6-7 years ago.

They started showing up around Ear Falls further up north, and in the past two years I've started seeing them around Emo area.

Some of them are super nice looking, others you can't really tell the difference between the two

Edited by manitoubass2

If those shots are from Ontario then they're 100% cinnamon phase black bears, not grizzlies. Grizzlies don't exist east of the Rockies. still cool to see cinnamon black bears though! nice shots!!

Brown bear, my bad.

These are not black bears. They have very different body type and structure.

Of course though, I'm just going off the MNR and have no idea how accurate they are with bear indentification.

And you work with bears, lol, so maybe I should just take your word for it

Edited by manitoubass2

Brown bear, my bad.

These are not black bears. They have very different body type and structure.

Of course though, I'm just going off the MNR and have no idea how accurate they are with bear indentification.

And you work with bears, lol, so maybe I should just take your word for it

ya, they look quite different! I was super suprised when you said Grizzly, but like you, I'm no expert, I just know not to eat bacon with a thick beard before going near bears.

Sorry guys, no pics. I've seen four in my life, all were in the last ten years.

One was dead on the weigh scale up in Ear Falls at the Weyerhaueser sawmill. It was pretty small, maybe 50lbs.

The next came while traveling through Eagle Lake backroads where there was literally thousands of deer. This one was big and healthy. If I had a camera or a cell phone at the time, I woulda got pics. It sat about 20 yards in front of me on the gravel road. He/she looked me over for 2-3 minutes, then bolted into an open field. I'm not sure on the weight, but this one looked super healthy and over 100lbs for sure.

The next one came on a trip down Cedar Narrows road off the 502, while me and my Dad were heading to Mainville lake to fish walleye. It was pretty early, just after sun up. We were seeing rabbits like crazy, like 30 or 40 in mere minutes. Then a cougar/mountain lion/whatever the heck there called bolted out onto the road from the treeline, hot in pursuit of a rabbit. This one was small but healthy looking, maybe 60-70lbs. We seen it for all of maybe 2 seconds.

The last one was two summers ago. Me, the girlfriend and our kids were heading to our shore fishing/camp spot. We were on the road a few minutes away from our spot, when I heard a faint sound in the bush. I told my kids/girlfriend to hold up, because we have run into bears and wolves in the past. We held up, the sound stopped. We waited a few seconds, then walked forwards just a few steps. Then the sound came again but it was louder, so I told them to stop again. I thought bear, so I told my girlfriend we were just gonna turn around and leave. Then, a big cat walked right out, maybe 30 feet away, possibly even less. It looked over its shoulder but kept walking into the other side of the bush. We cancelled all plans and headed home for the night.

But in all my experiences with them, there just impossible to get pics of, they are so fast, and they appear outta nowhere.

I'm sure Limeyangler has either seen some or heard of others seeing them around here, as a few I seen were pretty darn close to his area.

Oh, and they invoke fear, last thing you think when you see one is "wheres my camera?", lol.

And thanks to brandon and answering my questions on bears. Turn out me, and possibly the MNR are wrong.

Thanks brandon for taking the time to explain why I was wrong, I like to learn, and I'll be the first to admit I was totally wrong about my local bears, lol. Thanks dood, I always like learning and you taught me some great stuff!!!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Heh! Sounds like a war zone here lately. Bear bangers going off all over town the last few days. I don't have any pics yet this year but I'll likely get some. Tis the season.

Got a few of my own.

leapingbrownie.jpg

P9110011.jpg

We ran into this big girl on our way back to the car. She and I ended up about 15 feet apart by the time we both got stopped. :w00t:

I really wish I had a better pic as she was on my side of the downed tree in the foreground. But I had one hand on my fishing rod and the other ready to draw my bear spray out of the holster if needed. Plus I couldn't remember if I had the camera set to flash fill and I really didn't feel like ticking off a 1000# grizzly that was only a bound and a half away from ripping me to shreds!!! We paced it out and the distance was 15 feet!!!! :w00t:

She was an awesome beast with a huge round head the size of a 55 gallon drum and the good thing is she completely ignored us and stood there for almost a minute before heading back into the bush. We followed as that was the way to the car!!! :o

Brownie1.jpg

P9110021.jpg

P9110023.jpg

P9180078.jpg