Kermode Bear

brandon

Hey Guys,

I normally keep this stuff in the Photography forum so I hope this is fine to post here....anyways, as some of you know I now live in Terrace, British Columbia. I moved here in January to take a Pest Control job - more or less just a means of paying bills so I can afford to live in and photograph a new area. The scenery and wildlife is the main reason I chose this region to move to, but one species in particular was the real driving force behind the decision - The Kermode, or Spirit Bear. For those of you who aren't familiar with them, they're basically white black bears. The white coloring is due to a recessive gene making only about 1/10 bears look this way. It's the beauty combined with the rarity of these bears that made me want to get a photograph of one - and the other night, it happened.

My girlfriend and I got in my truck and went for a drive about 50kms east of Terrace to check out a spot where a Kermode had been seen a few days before. Sure enough when we got to the area, it was still there. It was just hanging out eating grass on the side of the highway...definitely a lucky night for me, and even luckier that I had all my camera equipment with me. So basically I just sat down in the grass off to the side in the direction he was heading and snapped shots as came and went. The bear was extremely calm and the whole experience was very peaceful. Just so amazing to have such a close encounter with a rare animal.

There's currently a proposal in the works to allow oil tankers to travel through the coastal islands that are home to the Kermode Bears. My goal with the photos wasn't to just show a rare animal, but to share a species of Canada that isn't as well known as it should be. And if a petition crosses your path about the oil tankers, hopefully this might give you a reason to sign it. Enjoy the photos and thanks for checking them out!

7192953032_024cfcb307_z.jpg

Kermode Bear by bbroderick86, on Flickr

7192996536_a3020b9237_z.jpg

7179514274_f0c5dc58ff_z.jpg

And here's a shot that my girlfriend took of me while I was shooting

7193071724_4077efeec8_z.jpg

IMG_1070 by bbroderick86, on Flickr

Cheers,

Brandon

Jesus Brandon.. at least your GF is smarter than you!! LOL Don't get turned into bear poop like the nut out of Cali did! Some great shots... but please don't press your luck my friend!

X2.....Beauty Pics, but that close bear scares me just looking at itw00t.gif

Jesus Brandon.. at least your GF is smarter than you!! LOL Don't get turned into bear poop like the nut out of Cali did! Some great shots... but please don't press your luck my friend!

Ditto. Incredible shots, though. Want to see more incredible shots for many years to come.

thanks for all the comments! In regards to the ones about me being too close, I agree that it looks bad in that shot, but also keep in mind my years of experience in the field with bears. That Kermode was the calmest bear I've ever been around and I didn't feel threatened at all. The only reason I got up and moved right after that last photo was taken was because the bear was too close to shoot with my big lens (Drifter - I'm shooting with a Canon 1D mk IV and a Canon 500mm f/4 L IS USM lens). And I always carry a can of bear spray with me in case things get bad....but haven't had to use it yet!

Dealing with wild life runs its risks...but the pursuit can be unique and rewarding...and Brandon ...you nailed both with this encounter...you are very fortunate to have this opportunity as well as the Kermode is to have the encounter with you and your talents to bring awareness....sometimes the stars just line up perfectly for such matters...Congrates on the awesome images

For those wanting to know more about the Spirit Bear these facts will tell you how rare this opportunity was...Bravo Brandon :clapping:

Spirit Bear Facts

The rare Spirit Bear is known locally by several names;

-Kermode Bear, named after Francis Kermodei, former director of the Royal B.C. Museum.

-White Bear or Ghost Bear is often used by local folks.

-Moksgm’ol by local First Nations.

-Ursus americanus kermodei by Scientists.

-Spirit Bear is a more recent name for the White Bear. Appropriate for a bear that is known for it’s elusive, ghostly yet sweet nature.

This rare White Bear is actually a Black Bear! Scientists are actively studying this rare genetic trait that is possibly due to a recessive gene, or could be due to a result of a concentration of gene in a given area. The Spirit Bear is not an albino.

Scientists estimate there are 1,200 black and white Kermode bears in the coast area that stretches from around the northern tip of Vancouver Island northwards to the Alaska panhandle. On Gribbell Island, up to 30 per cent of the bears can be white while on the larger Princess Royal Island, about 10 per cent have the white coat.

Many sightings are reported around the Terrace area, making the Spirit Bear it’s official mascot. They are often seen as far east as Hazelton, as far north as the Nass Valley up to Cranberry Junction and as far west as Prince Rupert.

Even though Kitimat is closest to the largely populated area of Princess Royal Island, there are almost no sightings in the area.

Check out the first ever map of Spirit Bear Sighting Map in the Great Bear Rainforest, which is a protected area for these rare, special bears.

Like most black bears, the Spirit Bear only weighs about half a pound at birth, growing to 150-300 pounds when fully grown. The Kermode’s size averages between 4 and 6 feet. Height measured from paw to shoulders averages between 2 ½ and 3 feet.

The beautiful Spirit Bear will eat almost anything. Including you!

However, there have been no reports of them eating people.

Being omnivores, they mostly live on fish and berries, but also eat deer and moose fawns, carrion, insects, plants, fruits, nuts, mushrooms and nuts. They depend on salmon runs in the fall to fatten themselves up for the long winter hibernation, where they can go without food for up to 7 months.

They are seen mostly alone, except sows with cubs. If you see a Mother sow bear with cubs, keep your distance, they’re rather ferocious towards any perceived threat.

When walking in the deep woods, chant or whistle to let them know of your presence so you don’t surprise them.

They are known to run up to 55 km an hour!

Females reach sexual maturity at three to four years of age. They mate during the late spring, early summer months, gestating about 220 days. Cubs are born in their mother’s winter den in January or February, and are weaned at about eight months, but may remain with their mother for up to a year-and-a-half, when she is ready to mate again.

Like black bears, their average life span is about 25 years.