Good crappie fishing.

limeyangler

Hi all,

got out yesterday for a few hours with Scott(a.k.a Havtaflyfish) in search of crappie. The crappie fishing so far has been sporadic and slow so far, water tempswere still in the low 50s last week.

Yestarday started slow apart from the usual hammerhandle jackfish that inhabit some of the bays we fish and the odd OOS walleye.

The day was windy as hell, we got completely soaked on the way out, 40kmh winds. Whether or not this was why Scott went with regular tackle over his usual preferred fly outfit i dont know, but he is more than proficient using either and discovered the first successful pattern of the day.....a white twistertail under a slip bobber.

We had to fish long and hard for just a few fish (albeit it very decent 12"-14"ers) until we hit the penultimate bay we were to fish.....then it was a fish a cast for a good hour. The wind had dropped off considerably too. Not sure whether we just discovered a bay with more fish....or time of day or the wind dying down or a combination of all three things made the difference....but it was GAME ON.

Did not really matter what we threw at them....but we swapped between bobbers and straight jigs with micro tubes or a minnow. Fish were shallow....like 1' to 6'FOW.

We threw back more than we kept, and we kept a good stringer for a fry up when we got home and a few for the freezer for the week.

Good afternoon on the lake followed by a good feed of FRESH fish, with great company.....

not a bad way to spend an afternoon and evening really!

VIDEO OF THE AFTERNOON

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zcDKWj1_wR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

Wallleye opener next weekend....

Lac Seul here we come!

Great video as always Simon :thumbsup_anim: I especially enjoyed gruelling at the shore lunch :o Was just about to poke at my monitor with a fork and knife :lol: You hit the crappie mother load this time B):good:

Edited by TroutJunkie

:rofl2: Oops I honestly just typed that as it was in my head. Old habits die hard!!! My mates in the UK used to say I spoke Scanadian. I used to say stuff like "It wisnae me ehhh" never did lose the ehhh though :P I was suprised when you told me I was speaking a bit of Scottish in the boat cuz I "didnae" even realize I was doing it

:rofl2: Oops I honestly just typed that as it was in my head. Old habits die hard!!! My mates in the UK used to say I spoke Scanadian. I used to say stuff like "It wisnae me ehhh" never did lose the ehhh though :P I was suprised when you told me I was speaking a bit of Scottish in the boat cuz I "didnae" even realize I was doing it

You should change your screen name to "Rab C"