Wild Rock Bass and Crappie for sale

captpierre

Had a bit of time to kill today so dropped into a large, busy Chinese supermarket in Markham for a snoop.

They have a huge seafood department. Noticed "wild crappie and rock bass" for sale in a pile on ice. Not huge. 6 inches

or so.

How is this possible?

this frustrates me beyond belief. Would it be even better to call the local police? that pic above really ticks me off as well... look at the rainbow trout, chances are he was netted or something or at very least caught with a regular fishing license. It's one thing to see someone take an OOS bass or keep a few extra perch over their limit... but this kinda thing has to be just horrible on our fisheries... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

It is legal as they are farm raised and or caught by commercials. They even have "green Bass" ie largemouth for sale at some stores. When you see "Brown Bass" ie Smallmouth then make your call. Personally I buy the Silver Bass, White Bass and White Perch all the time. Yummy. The Green Bass are always live and in tanks. Not only are they much more expensive I have a hard time eating Green or Brown Bass since I love catching them so much and it irks me when I see them kept for trophy's or for food even by legal sport anglers.

I have seen largies for sale as well and always wondered if that's allowed. I would guess its likely farmed or something. I don't think these stores would be in business for long selling fish caught by rod and reel. Not enough to keep the shelves full. Not cost effective enough.

Perfectly legal and fairly closely monitored.

Some of the fish are legal commercially caught fish from Ontario waters, so I guess "wild" is from those fish or just for marketing purposes.

I personally don't agree with the sale of live panfish as some are considered invasive but it is legal and they are doing nothing wrong.

Before anyone starts pointing their fingers at asians because it's an "asian" supermarket... That sign is from T&T.... Owned and operated by loblaws... Ie: Galen Weston

Edited by soobnoob

Before anyone starts pointing their fingers at asians because it's an "asian" supermarket... That sign is from T&T.... Owned and operated by loblaws... Ie: Galen Weston

Is the owner of Loblaws first name actually Bob? as in Bob Loblaw? I have heard that joke so many times, never bothered to see if its real.