What's your Must Have Checklist When in Bush

mirogak

NAH, they'll know you're there from all the grunting and swearing and swatting of black flies!!! Heck they'll hear you 3 portages away!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Lol you are probably right. I know my parents were there this past weekend and the bugs weren't bad but probably going to be shortly.

Clean your fish on an island or several hundred yards away from camp.

Only keep enough for that day.

If cleaning on a small island you can leave the entrails on a rock by the shore.

If on the same shore as camp toss as fars as you can into the lake.

Just for safety you should probably post the exact campsite you are staying at and what lures you are using just incase we need to identify your body. :sarcasm:

hahahah ..... but hey man ... It don't hurt to ask.

Edited by letsgofishing

I've done a lot of canoe camping. I used to have bear spray but when it expired I bought a set of bear bangers instead. I think the bangers are more fool-proof. Spray can be a problem with blowback and accidental firing. If you Google it you can probably find some stories that are amusing if you weren't affected but painful if you were.(People tend to wear it on their belt, a bit too close for comfort to some areas you would not want sprayed! tongue.gif:eeksmile.gif

An air horn sold in the marine section of CTC, for e.g., might be another option.

If you keep a clean campsite and keep your food in a sealed container(dry bag or barrel) you are unlikely to have bears come around.

Just make some noise(some people carry a bear bell, others find them annoying) when you're walking the ports.

For what it's worth I'm headed up to the Algoma region next week for 5 days myself. Packing 12km into a brookie lake with no real trail to follow.

I don't see folks lining up for Sherpa duties on this one!!w00t.gif. You could probably post exact details of where you caught the fish and nobody else would go there!

Do you mean hiking 12 k or that the paddling plus hiking is 12k? I find it hard to imagine bushwhacking 12k. It's hard enough on a marked trail. How the heck do you get across creeks and rivers?(There must be some). If you make it back out we'd love to see pix!biggrin.gif

I agree with Knuguy , stay away from the bear spray . If you have to use it and you get a blow back you are screwed !I don't like my chances against a bear with a face full of bear spray :whistling:

As well as an accidental

firing could be a big problem .Our group always has those $2.00 bangers at the ready for a curious bear in camp but just have a clean camp

and make some noise when in the bush and you will be fine !

An air horn sold in the marine section of CTC, for e.g., might be another option.

We've got bears in this area and my wife and some of the neighbor ladies go for a 2 mile walk every day and they all carry those air horns on their belts.

I've had bears in the driveway and back yard several times so the wife is a bit nervous when she's out hiking.

I don't see folks lining up for Sherpa duties on this one!!w00t.gif. You could probably post exact details of where you caught the fish and nobody else would go there!

Do you mean hiking 12 k or that the paddling plus hiking is 12k? I find it hard to imagine bushwhacking 12k. It's hard enough on a marked trail. How the heck do you get across creeks and rivers?(There must be some). If you make it back out we'd love to see pix!biggrin.gif

No paddling at all to get to the lake Harold. It's a 12km hike almost entirely uphill to reach the destination lake. No trail per say, but there's definite landmarks for us to follow and with gps and maps we'll be fine.

We're packing in float tubes which weigh less than 10lb's rather than a canoe. Not ideal, but you live with the hand you're dealt.

Regardless of how difficult it is I won't be posting any specifics. The trout fishing is so good in there people would definitely take the plunge. :)

I agree with Knuguy , stay away from the bear spray . If you have to use it and you get a blow back you are screwed !I don't like my chances against a bear with a face full of bear spray :whistling:

As well as an accidental

firing could be a big problem .Our group always has those $2.00 bangers at the ready for a curious bear in camp but just have a clean camp

and make some noise when in the bush and you will be fine !

We've got bears in this area and my wife and some of the neighbor ladies go for a 2 mile walk every day and they all carry those air horns on their belts.

I've had bears in the driveway and back yard several times so the wife is a bit nervous when she's out hiking.

Didn't you guys read my report last year where I went face to face with a 400lb bear???

All you need to do is swing around a fillet knife and pretend your Jackie Chan! whistling.gif

I survived to fight bears another day....Thankfully

I have no idea where it is??? I could probably find the quick picture I snapped before I thought I was going to die though thumbsup_anim.gif

I found the link to manitoubass's bear story

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56005&st=0&p=610336&hl=bear&fromsearch=1entry610336

And yes, I got myself those bear bells and the air horn .. think I am set.

This is a great thread! Lots of great info! I've learned a couple great tricks!

Fire starting equipment is essential. We used to make our own fire starters and I plan to do it with my kids this year. You take an old cardboard egg carton. Fill the egg cups with burnable material like dryer lint, wood shavings, paper etc. You then fill the cups with melted paraffin wax. Once the wax hardens you can break the cups off and stack them together. They are very easy to light and once they get going they put off an amazing amount of heat! They can get any wood burning!

They might not be the best for long trips where space is a premium. You don't save any money and it takes a bit of time but it's satisfying starting a fire with something you've made.

wrt: bears and food.

There's not exactly consensus on hanging and all. I hang out of habit but there are some paddlers who throw their well sealed bags deep in the bush. Their belief, borne through experience, is that bears become habituated and learn where to go for food ie: trees close to campsites. Put the pack away from the campsite and bears will ignore it, unless they can sniff it out.

Only time I had a bear experience was in Algonquin paddling interior via main street. When I got back from my trip, I relayed my experience with a guide I knew who was at the put in and he knew pretty well which lake I was referring to as that's as far as many noobs go which=fresh pickings for bruin.

For hanging, I use two ropes. A long one gets strung between two trees with at least a 20' spread. In the middle of this rope I have a pulley through which the pack rope is threaded and this gets pulled to another tree and tied off. Make sure the main line is well off the ground (mine is around 20' or so) as a heavy pack will make it sag a few feet at least.

as usual, ymmv

Edited by woodenboater