What's your Must Have Checklist When in Bush

mirogak

I've spent literally months and months travelling in the bush and I've never carried either a saw or a hatchet.

The tree huggers may not like this but...when I'm tripping through a lake looking for a campsite I keep an eye out for beaver lodges.

Once camp is set up I paddle back and raid the lodge. Those wrist thick bleached white pieces of wood burn fantastically.

Alternatively there's always driftwood along the shoreline.

Dead cedar branches...completely orange will burn even when wet. They're great firestarters. As are pine cones.

A small mesh bag that cinches up and a length of light rope serves two very important purposes. First a small round rock inside the bag makes a great anchor for fishing.

Second, when it's hot out and surface temps are warm, fill your nalgene with whatever you're drinking and put it in the bag with a rock or two and sink it down below the thermocline. Wait an hour or two and even in the dead of summer you can enjoy an ice cold drink.

Speaking of drinks I'm partial to Crystal Light drink crystals especially the ice tea. Yes, there's no sugar or calories, but I get my calories elsewhere. The stuff weighs absolutely nothing. Pretty important when you're carrying everything on your back.

A lightweight thermarest sleeping pad is worth carrying in if you want to be comfortable.

On my long trips I used a thermarest Ridgerest pad. It's a super lightweight closed cell foam pad. A tad bit bulkier than an inflatable thermarest...but waaaay lighter and just as comfortable imo.

I always bungied it to the stern seat of my canoe when portaging. The tiny bit of weight helps keep the nose of the boat up when carrying.

An LED headlamp is now essential as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing better for cooking or putzing around at night.

For what it's worth I'm headed up to the Algoma region next week for 5 days myself. Packing 12km into a brookie lake with no real trail to follow.

Obviously weight will be an extreme factor so it'll be a float tube less than 7lb's rather than a canoe, and a lightweight tarp and ground sheet instead of a tent.

As far as I'm concerned Wayne was bang on with the Scotch idea too. Although I'm partial to dark rum. There's plenty of lightweight flasks on the market made for just this purpose.

Personally after a killer hard day it's pretty damn nice to have sitting around the fire.

There's plenty more things I can add about cutting weight, but I need to get the kids in bed. I'll come back to this post later.

Edited by solopaddler

I'm not feeling the love for lighters anymore so for me it's a good supply of Red Bird matches and lately, my year round kit includes a steel fire starter/sparker and good stash of char cloth. Warm clothes are a must no matter how gorgeous the weather may look. UCO candle lantern (don't hang from eve or else wax will get super soft and make a mess) is always welcome on miserable nights.

and a good book.

Ya, some sorta powder mix drink is essential, when I was younger we went on a canoe trip and there was a spawn happening, the damn water tasted of fish, without the Tang it was hard to drink.

Also, keep your car keys in something that floats ( or in a zippered pocket on you ), would hate trying to retreive your car keys from the bottom of a lake if your canoe tipped.

This was from last weeekend, happy hunting!

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00577.jpg

I've spent literally months and months travelling in the bush and I've never carried either a saw or a hatchet.

The tree huggers may not like this but...when I'm tripping through a lake looking for a campsite I keep an eye out for beaver lodges.

Once camp is set up I paddle back and raid the lodge. Those wrist thick bleached white pieces of wood burn fantastically.

Alternatively there's always driftwood along the shoreline.

Dead cedar branches...completely orange will burn even when wet. They're great firestarters. As are pine cones.

A small mesh bag that cinches up and a length of light rope serves two very important purposes. First a small round rock inside the bag makes a great anchor for fishing.

Second, when it's hot out and surface temps are warm, fill your nalgene with whatever you're drinking and put it in the bag with a rock or two and sink it down below the thermocline. Wait an hour or two and even in the dead of summer you can enjoy an ice cold drink.

Speaking of drinks I'm partial to Crystal Light drink crystals especially the ice tea. Yes, there's no sugar or calories, but I get my calories elsewhere. The stuff weighs absolutely nothing. Pretty important when you're carrying everything on your back.

A lightweight thermarest sleeping pad is worth carrying in if you want to be comfortable.

On my long trips I used a thermarest Ridgerest pad. It's a super lightweight closed cell foam pad. A tad bit bulkier than an inflatable thermarest...but waaaay lighter and just as comfortable imo.

I always bungied it to the stern seat of my canoe when portaging. The tiny bit of weight helps keep the nose of the boat up when carrying.

An LED headlamp is now essential as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing better for cooking or putzing around at night.

For what it's worth I'm headed up to the Algoma region next week for 5 days myself. Packing 12km into a brookie lake with no real trail to follow.

Obviously weight will be an extreme factor so it'll be a float tube less than 7lb's rather than a canoe, and a lightweight tarp and ground sheet instead of a tent.

As far as I'm concerned Wayne was bang on with the Scotch idea too. Although I'm partial to dark rum. There's plenty of lightweight flasks on the market made for just this purpose.

Personally after a killer hard day it's pretty damn nice to have sitting around the fire.

There's plenty more things I can add about cutting weight, but I need to get the kids in bed. I'll come back to this post later.

Wow ... I am bookmarking this. Thanks Mike. Will need to research some of what you have mentioned. And Algoma! ... I assume, most or some of you have subscribed to the WFN channel and I keep seeing the ad for the Algoma region ... and here we have Mr. Solopaddler going there. Good to be part of this site .. its more addictive than Facebook.

thanks for the tips guys.

Miro

Your on the right track. I would right down a few problematic scenarios that could occur, then brain storm and write them on the back of your list. In a bad situation, you can easily get dehydrated or suffer sun stroke, and having the written instructions might save your life. As its nearly impossible to think when sun stroked or very dehydrated. I spent 10 days on small secluded island on the north arm of rainy lake, and it was a gnarly situation. Spent 4 days in the hospital for severe dehydration/sunstroke. And have a good safe trip, good on you for posting this before hand!!!!!

This thread can go viral. Jokes are fine but there can, and will be, a goldmine of truly useful information in this one. Thanks to everyone who contributes.

Roy is bang on here, there is\will be a goldmine of useful information here. That is why I am copying and pasting into a Word document for future reference. Works much better than searching for threads when you need it. So far this is great stuff from experienced guys.

Many of the essentials are listed already

This may sound obvious---when trekking or on larger bodies of water----turn around once in a while and familiarize yourself with the landscape

Hard to believe how many people who just keep pushing forward get turned around when it's time to head back and everything looks different

Unless of course your compass reading constantly

I think it bears repeating that a proper first aid kit is a MUST. It should be able to cover most incidents you'll encounter. Anti-histamines, alcohol swabs, surgical/ medical tape etc.. LED headlamp is also a must on my trips as is a tarp. While mine is on the heavy side, the Chlorophylle tarp is worth it's weight in gold when you have an inevitable rainy spring days/downpours. and yes, it will rain on you, always has for me ;)

At least one spare paddle. Lining ropes bow and stern (can be used to bring your canoe to shore if you upset out on the lake). Water filter/purifier and or tablets.

and your fishing license...just in case

Orange flagging tape can save you a lot of time and energy if you get turned around ....crank flashlight/radio....

Benedryl , Tylenol , immodium ,

If you're going up 400N / 11N pop into the Concorde candle factory and pick up a tray of fire starter 2$ can't go wrong ....pack whatever you can in XXL Ziplok bags .... Don't forget a WHISTLE.

Don't forget to pack some common sense , leave the weekend warrior risk taking mentality at home ..

Have Fun , pack light and be safe.

Randy

:)

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I think it bears repeating that a proper first aid kit is a MUST. It should be able to cover most incidents you'll encounter. Anti-histamines, alcohol swabs, surgical/ medical tape etc.. LED headlamp is also a must on my trips as is a tarp. While mine is on the heavy side, the Chlorophylle tarp is worth it's weight in gold when you have an inevitable rainy spring days/downpours. and yes, it will rain on you, always has for me ;)

At least one spare paddle. Lining ropes bow and stern (can be used to bring your canoe to shore if you upset out on the lake). Water filter/purifier and or tablets.

and your fishing license...just in case

To this point, needle and thread as well. Stitches are often required.

Also speaking of "bears", my dad used to bring a mini-aluminum bat and keep it under his pillow, a punch won't scare off a nosey bear when he's sniffing in your tent.

Lots of great info here, a waterproof portage type pack is a good thing to have:

boundary_pack_med.jpg

Keeps your gear dry, they normally float and make life easy. Mountaineering type packs that are tall and skinny with stuff tied on the outside are a pain, fumbling with several items like paddles, fishing rods, sleeping bags in garbage bags and so on looses its appeal after the first portage.

Clipping your PFD to the stern seat when you portage keeps the canoe nose up.

Don't bother with a saw or axe, you can always collect enough firewood from beaver dams or along the shore.

Double check when you are leaving a portage for gear, after a couple portages someone generally forgets a paddle leaned against a tree or sunglasses on a rock after a meal.

Water is heavy bring a filter/purifier system if the water is not safe. A can of beans weighs a pound, we figure a pound of food per person per day (three meals), but don't bother with the expensive dehydrated stuff you see at camping stores. There is a good selection of single pot meals at you local supermarket where you just add water and cook - noodles, rice, curries, scalloped potatoes and so on that are great for meals and are light to carry.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

Yes, they're called Nalgene bottles!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

You can't put hard liquor in a nalgene dumb dumb. :)

I wouldn't bring the rice, ways too much, if you stop by a camping or outdoors store like mountain co-op you can get dehydrated meals as a plan b if you don't get any brookies. The mesh bag idea really works well, and you don't have to portage an anchor then!

Huh? Well obviously nobody brings in regular rice. Beyond the fact it takes forever to cook, it's also too heavy.

Instant rice on the other hand weighs absolutely nothing. It's always been a staple for me even on my long trips.

If for example you have 1 cup of minute rice, boil 1 cup of water in a small pot, take it off the heat, throw in the rice, cover, and in 5 minutes it's done.

You can eat it like that but I'll generally throw it in the pan at that point with some chunked up fish, some seasoning and a bit of oil and fry it up.

Being a coffee freak I've tried every method under the sun. I like using a small lightweight french press at times, but when weight and space is of the utmost importance I use the Starbucks Via instant coffee.

Yeah, yeah, I know, instant. BUT this stuff is unlike anything you've ever tried before trust me. It's obscenely expensive but you honestly can't tell the difference from fresh perked. It's absolutely amazing.

A few more things I consider essential:

A tarp. And not the traditional heavy Canadian Tire variety. You can now buy ultalight nylon tarps at places like M.E.C. that weigh absolutely nothing.

Unless I'm on a seriously long expedition I always have a single burner camp stove.

The lightest are the MSR Whisperlite or anything else (there are many) of a similar design. That is, a separate fuel tank attached to a small collapsable burner via a hose of some type.

They are indeed light...but fact is I hate them all LOL!

Perhaps it's because of the amount of use I give them, I'm hard on equipment, but this style of stove has given me nothing but problems. You have to prime them, the jets constantly clog as does the pump.

They're a wee bit heavier, but if you can find one the old Coleman Peak 1 stoves are fantastic. They also make a multi fuel version of the same stove that's great...you can run unleaded gas in it.

They're a single burner stove with an integrated fuel tank all in one. No priming, and absolutely bombproof. These stoves will never let you down.

A couple other things I use is lexan cutlery and lightweight plastic dishes. That may be obvious to many, but maybe not. The cutlery especially weighs nothing compared to standard stainless steel and they're incrdibly durable.

Most every food item and practically anything else that needs to be packed gets repacked into appropriate sized freezer zip lock bags. Again that may seem obvious, but maybe not.

When you're in the bush you'll need some kind of navigational aid. First and foremost, no matter where I go, even Algonquin Park, I Always HAVE THE APPROPRIATE 1:50,000 series topo maps. They show every single detail and are a must imo.

You can either buy the actual maps online at a variety of sources, or buy map software for your computer such as the Ontario topo50 series from softmaptechnologies.com You can then pull up what you need and print it off at home.

A compass is still a useful back up, but these days a small handheld GPS with the according topo map software for your area added to it makes navigation a breeze.

Another thing to consider is water. Some guys will treat the lake water with chlorine tablets or iodine. Many times I'll simply scoop it from the middle of the lake (less chance of windblown bacteria) and drink it untreated.

A REALLY great idea though are the tiny compact water filters that screw right into the lid of a standard nalgene. You can literally throw the hose into a rancid swamp and in a couple of minutes you'll fill that 1 litre bottle with sparkling clean drinking water.

Here's the one I have:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/WaterTreatment/WaterFilters/PumpFilters/PRD~5001-239/msr-miniworks-ex-water-filter.jsp

There's lots more, but that's enough for now. :)