What's your favourite kind of fishing and why?

Steelhead on hardware. Savage strike, line peeling runs, cartwheels three feet above the surface of the water. Just doesn't get any better.

That said, I love it all, jigging for walleye, trolling for salmon, tearing a buzzbait along the surface for bass/pike, musky any way possible...etc, etc.

Watching the float go down :thumbsup_anim: Doesn't matter if it's a nice trout or a perch or some type of panfish. That split second of anticipation while you are reacting to set the hook before you even know what is on the end of your line...that's what it's all about for me.

The scream of your baitrunner reel when a big carp takes off on it's first run...is right up there for me too.

I guess the reason Steve and I get along as well as we do is because we like fishing the same way...with one exception...due to being 25+ years older than him I have to be sitting...

I used to do all the other stuff but 10 minutes of standing and casting and my back starts saying "OUCH"...Now I can still go out in the boat and troll and drift or anchor and still fish...

I like the idea of carp fishing because once you get all set-up and casted out you just sit back and wait on a comfortable chair...we tend to repack our feeders with ground bait every half hour then it is back to waiting some more and telling each other tall tales...whistling.gif

I love to hear my alarm go off...my ears are not as good as Steve's ...I never hear his baitrunnerrolleyes.gif

Ice-fishing doesn't have much appeal for me anymore...sad.gif

Edited by Beans

I guess the reason Steve and I get along as well as we do is because we like fishing the same way...with one exception...due to being 25+ years older than him I have to be sitting...

I used to do all the other stuff but 10 minutes of standing and casting and my back starts saying "OUCH"...Now I can still go out in the boat and troll and drift or anchor and still fish...

I like the idea of carp fishing because once you get all set-up and casted out you just sit back and wait on a comfortable chair...we tend to repack our feeders with ground bait every half hour then it is back to waiting some more and telling each other tall tales...whistling.gif

I love to hear my alarm go off...my ears are not as good as Steve's ...I never hear his baitrunnerrolleyes.gif

Ice-fishing doesn't have much appeal for me anymore...sad.gif

We will all get there Norm my friend. You forgot to add,grilled cheese burgers on the bbq.LOL

My rejuvinated love, is the river. Trout

Still, there,s nothing like dragging a tube and setting a hook on a pig smallie.

Dont forget the flipp,n for largies.Thats another amazing thing.

I have to many favorites.

My favorite fish to target is musky, and love the violence of the strike. The few times I have seen them take to the air was exilerating and when you are trolling for them rod in hand, as I prefer to do in one lake that has a large amount of vegetation, the strike jars you. You feel it throughout your entire body, and the strongest one wins. A hungry musky commits hits a bait so hard, and you have to counter that strike with your own strength. I guess I love it because it takes me back to my football days, and the thrill of delivering a big hit, without the pain and aches after a game. I can still feel some of the violent strikes in my bones, just like I still feel some of my hardest hits.

I also love how hard a salmon fights, taking 20+ minutes to land a fish and feeling the burn in your arms from the runs. And just when you think the fish is spent, it peels off 100ft of line.

If I had to choose it would be musky, but Luckily I don't

Oh yeah...if I couldn't fish for musky or salmon I would be perfectly happy with topwater bass action, and could live with shore fishing for pike. Luckily I don't need to choose.

I love it all,

HOWEVER its a no brainer, offshore trolling for trout & salmon

gotta love when there's a double header of 20+ lb kings on and then a 3rd rod fires and its a 10lb+ steelhead doing surface cartwheels between the Kings

:thumbsup_anim:

Drifting nipissing with bottom bouncers for walleye with my brother. No running outboard to talk over. The water lapping the side of the cedar strip. Some spots we don't even bother with the depthfinder.

"There's the bottom change."

"Yep."

"There's the start of the ridge."

"Yep."

"Fish on!"

"Yep."

"They're down the other side of the ridge today."

"Yep."

Sometimes followed by a second "Fish on."

We'll often go for long stretches without saying a word, and other times we'll be busting a gut at a long forgotten family calamity or an embarrassing event (You puke on your shoes just once and it always get brought up, never mind the time our cousin flung a burning gas can across the yard... the hair grew back).

It's based in part on years of memories and that fact that now it is often only once or twice a year we get to sit in a boat together and not talk.

I've always been a trout guy mainly because of the environment that they live in. Oh yea. And how awesome they look. There's nothing like being in 4 feet of crystal clear, cold water, with a school of 18 to 24 inch natural Brook Trout right in front of you in plain view. Doesn't get any better than that for me.

We will all get there Norm my friend. You forgot to add,grilled cheese burgers on the bbq.LOL

My rejuvinated love, is the river. Trout

Still, there,s nothing like dragging a tube and setting a hook on a pig smallie.

Dont forget the flipp,n for largies.Thats another amazing thing.

I have to many favorites.

Brian wait till you hook into a salmon on the pin...i suppose that would be my all time top favourite you HAVE to work to win the battle...chucking harware for salmon would be a close second....but i love it ALL.....be it dropping a dry fly to rise a trout to sitting back in the dark of night with the surf rods waiting for movement of the glow sticks or as was mentioned...."the chess game" out on the lake

I love it all.. From the rod in the downrigger springing up, to the float ripping down on a cool fall morning with a big steelhead underneath it to spotting that resident trout and making the perfect presentation so it sips down your dry..

I really don't care, I'll do it all.

Ditto! clapping.gif

The 'tick' or of a deep water walleye or whitefish strike on a jig

The boil of a bass inhaling a topwater frog

The frothy explosion of a barracuda destroying a fast-retrieved topwater

A Blue Marlin appearing out of nowhere and slashing a skipjack with it's bill like an expert swordsman before devouring it evaporating line of a reel on the initial run

Panfish!....nuff said

The violent strike of a salmon hitting a wire diver

Trout smashing a spinner on the swing

There is satisfaction in all species and techniques for sure.

I have been thinking about this since yesterday.As long as the company is good, i like any kind of fishing there is.Not too fond of ice fishing though.

When alone, i like to drift fish along the many islands on the river close to my home. When trolling, i like the Run and Gun precision trolling,approach that Mike and i do when we fish together.You cover alot of water, and it gives you time to socialize as you fish.good.gif

I haven't been salmon fishing since I moved to Ontario (I'm originally from BC), but so far for me, nothing beats the mighty Chinook. :-) Never trolled for them though, always just cast from shore. Takes a bit of time but hugely rewarding when the line starts peeling off the bail. The one in my avatar was actually taken in Ketchikan, Alaska on a blue and white 1/4 oz. Buzz Bomb, and took me a good half hour to land...

Pinks are a lot of fun too, they're easily the most aggressive of the Pacific species. Throw a simple little pink or yellow feather jig in front of them and you can spend a whole afternoon getting strike after strike after strike.

As far as Ontario goes, though, I've really enjoyed just fishing for bass and panfish. There's a few places around London that are easily accessible and give pretty good sport. I really do want to get after some lake salmon/steelhead sometime...