Grits carp love'm

Grits has a reputation south of the border as a great carp bait. I attained a supply of them and I can tell you that they really are great.

I fished the north shore of Hamilton Harbour on Sunday and had a great time. I caught fish all afternoon and there were three in the twenties. On my very last cast with my last handful of grits pack bait I got a dandy . This guy weighed 38&1/2 lbs very close to a PB .

HPIM1320 (600x399).jpg

Corn or cornmeal. Americains call it Grits because of the texture.

Oh boy, if the southern boys heard you say that...

Grits is made from hominy. Hominy is made by treating certain varieties of corn with alkali to remove the seed hull. This is the tough indigestible outer part of a kernel of corn. Corn meal is just ground corn. The name grits does not come from the word grit meaning sand or gravel but is derived from the old english word

grytt meaning coarse meal. They did not have corn in he old world at that time so it referred to wheat or oats. Hominy is the traditional Native American way of preparing corn. It goes back to the Incas and Aztecs.

I can tell you that I have fished cornmeal dough's and pack baits and grits beats them hands down. It's ability to draw in and hold carp is incredible.

Nice one Lorne, I actually drove into the parking lot late (5:15 ish) in the day and saw you (recognize the hat!) Decided to check one other swim down the lake and head back if it looked empty but all parking spots were jammed solid. By the time I got back here looks like you had left. I wet a line for a bit and had a couple bumps but only had about 20 minutes before I had to leave

I can go to bed now I have learned something new!

Yes but southerners dont know what home fries are. Had a lady server look at me like had 3 heads when i asked once.

Now collared greens, those are just nasty, might have been that I orfered them at Atlanta Airport

Thanks1

Edited by bucktail