Spinner Baits

mercman

I have done it! It was a whopping 25" bwahahahahaha

Just an update Paul, went casting with the kids again for an hour tonight and caught 12 more bass on the same black/silver tandem SB.

I have a mind to sell all my other lures,and buy more SB, and have fun experimenting with them.I bet with the right presentation,you could catch anything that swims, on a SB.clapping.gif

The beetlespin will be used a lot more out of my t-box this year. I'll peg a few walleye with it, for sure.

Like Rick was saying, one of my biggest walleye was caught by a spinnerbait. Super murky river water.... You can't beat the flash and brightness of a chartreuse SB.

The beetlespin will be used a lot more out of my t-box this year. I'll peg a few walleye with it, for sure.

Like Rick was saying, one of my biggest walleye was caught by a spinnerbait. Super murky river water.... You can't beat the flash and brightness of a chartreuse SB.

Another oldtime jig and spinner combo, that has produced when a little flash helps is the Blakemore Road Runner. A crappie lure par excellance in the white maribou and great for walleye in the larger sizes.

Mercman, as you so correctly highlited, the knowledge so willingly shared on this site is invaluable. You're getting honest opinions/tips from fishermen with no commercial interest or specifc product to promote, fishing the same geographical area you fish. I would humbly add just the fact that the classification "spinner baits" is a broad one, and that spinner baits yield the best results when tailored to species, time of year, body of water, and current conditions. Also, certain designs are better suited for ceratin types of presentations. All these things together is why many fisherman elect to build their own, whether it be a simple walleye harness on line of choice or a double cowgirl on a wireform. First, it's rather inexpensive to get into (even wire form tools are rather inexpensive), 2nd you can build them cheaper than you can buy them, and 3rd, you'll have the ability to experiment with designs and talor designs based on results. Good luck.

Thanks DHgood.gif

I have been looking at buying some kits from LureMaking.com.

These beetle spinners everyone is talking about.Are they what we used to call June Bug Spinners?A 6''long s/s rigid wire with a June Bug like spinner and a few red beads on it? I remember them as being deadly on Bass and Pike.

Thanks DHgood.gif

These beetle spinners everyone is talking about.Are they what we used to call June Bug Spinners?A 6''long s/s rigid wire with a June Bug like spinner and a few red beads on it? I remember them as being deadly on Bass and Pike.

The "Beetle spins" I'm talking about Paul are a little different then that. I'm not too sure about others though. I'll take a quick pic of one my sons used yesterday with a Kalins Bluegill grub.

I think there also referred to as "close pin spinners"? Something like that anyhow.

baits2012009.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

I def. tie all my own harnesses, way way better then pre made IMO. And once you use quick change clevises you'll never go back.

Paul, I forgot my boy got snagged up and lost the bait I was going to post a pic of. It was the same grub/beetlespin but it was attached to a black round head jig.

For the sake of the pic, I rigged it onto a Strike King Bitsy jig(which also happens to be a deadly combo) thumbsup_anim.gif

On this jig (or my sons rig) you can fish 2FOW on one cast, 20FOW on the next cast, super versatile lure.

Thanks DHgood.gif

I believe so. I remember one time when i was young and derparately trying to catch more than catching walleyes, I was at Lakair Lodge and this fella in a tiny little tin boat was backtrolling June Bug spinners tipped with pork rine (probably so the perch couldn't clean him every 5 seconds) with wire line to get it on the bottom, every day I'd hang at the fish house just to be amazed at the size of walleyes he was bringing in. He must have got a kick out of me, standing there, too dumbfounded to even speak, just jones'n those big eyes. Yeah Luremaking.com is a place as well as Mudhole.

X2 for luremaking.com

I got all my stuff there, they are great people to deal with. The fact that you can customize colours and blade sizes etc. is fun. I poured myself 20 new spinnerbait heads last night that are now waiting for me to put my own colours and combos on it. Its definately a good way to kill the winter blues away (although it is spring now!)

Anyone ever try komanchi spinnerbaits? I want to try them. 18 bucks a piece is stopping me lol

I just got a bunch after they went on sale at tackle warehouse late last year for around 8 dollars each. can't wait to try them. I've only heard good things.

also here's youtube vid on SB fishing from the master KVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mkcfXH77k

Edited by goteeboy

I think he was referring to bass style SB MM, maybe not???

That safety pin/beetle spin and muskie would not mix too well I would think, there not heavy duty thats for sure. If you could get bit, you'd have to change the pin after each bite, lol.

i mean the "V" shaped spinners... as apposed to straight in line spinners...

theres loads of large musky ones on the market...