Another baitcast reel question

Ok, gonna pull the trigger and get a baitcast setup this spring.

Previously was looking at a Shimano Curado (older version) or newer Chronarch. Other option is Abu Garcia Revo SX. So for bass, pike and maybe walleye, is it splitting hairs or does one reel have an edge over the other. The extra ounce doesn't seem like it should make a diff, even on a long day throwing cranks, I hope.

I've handled both in the shop and for some reason, like the offset Abu handles but is this enough ? There's no rush since I probably won't be able to hit the water till post 2/4 weekend. Sad, I know ;)

tia

WB

I'm a abu fan.

had the SX went back to upgrade to the STX ..... not worth the extra money in the end I just use my thumb.

If you need the best latest cast control gizmo then the Abu may not be the best but if you can thumb it then he SX/STX are nice as they don't have much plastic on them to disintegrate

Both nice reels indeed but not everyone that make the transition to baitcasters stay with baitcasters... some just can't get used to it so just something you may want to consider before investing in a $200 reel...

as far as the extra ounce.. imo lighter is better, especially if you're crankin all day. you may also want to consider the winch over the sx

if you like the curado, i have a BNIB 50e.

I have been using bait casters for almost 30 years now and can tell you that pretty much any of the newer ones are better than any I have previously owned.

While on vacation I stopped in at BPS Orlando to purchase a new bait caster as my favorite old Shimano broke a gear this winter and replacements are unavailable. I'm a lefty and their stock was quite low so I ended up with a different model than I really wanted but it is still better than any of my old reels.

I ended up with an Abu (can't remember the model but it was one of their inexpensive ones and I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it this summer.

The one I wanted but they had no lefty stock on I really liked and ended up ordering one because I was so impressed with it in the store. It also helped that it was onlly $100 for a reel that I figure is worth more because of the quality. Gets good reviews as well. Might be worth checking it out.

Bass Pro Shops® Pro Qualifier Reel

If there is not much of a difference in terms of feel or price, and you like both reels, I would go with a shimano product. I have found it very difficult to get parts for reels made by Pure Fishing (the company that owns abu and a bunch of other brands). Shimano reels, especially those that are less than 5 years old, are much easier to get parts for. If you are looking to spend $200 plus on a reel than I would go with a shimano. I've had 2 reels made by pure fishing, a revo winch, and a pflueger patriarch that have needed parts, and have found it hard to get the parts. With a shimano reel I could drive up to the service center in Peterborough and get the parts that I need. Another consideration would be a rapala reel. My first baitcaster was a rapala r-type, and I have been to the rapala factory in Oshawa a few times. They also have excellent customer service.

I have been using bait casters for almost 30 years now and can tell you that pretty much any of the newer ones are better than any I have previously owned.

While on vacation I stopped in at BPS Orlando to purchase a new bait caster as my favorite old Shimano broke a gear this winter and replacements are unavailable. I'm a lefty and their stock was quite low so I ended up with a different model than I really wanted but it is still better than any of my old reels.

I ended up with an Abu (can't remember the model but it was one of their inexpensive ones and I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it this summer.

The one I wanted but they had no lefty stock on I really liked and ended up ordering one because I was so impressed with it in the store. It also helped that it was onlly $100 for a reel that I figure is worth more because of the quality. Gets good reviews as well. Might be worth checking it out.

Bass Pro Shops® Pro Qualifier Reel

I agree with you. I bought a Pro Qualifier at the spring sale and with the reel exchange got it for $69.00. Worth every penny and then some. I wanted to try bait casting but was a little reluctant and didn't want to spend a lot of money until I tried them. This was the first bait caster I've used in over 40 years. It took me about an hour to learn how to use it and have used it at least 10 times since and I'm impressed.

+1 on the BPS Pro Qualifier... it was my first baitcaster too and a very good quality all around reel from cranking to pitching. for less than $100... good starter baitcaster before expanding your arsenal with more expensive tactic/ratio specific reels.

seen too many try and fail to adapt to baitcasters.

make sure you figure out if you're a left or right hand retrieve first..

I would suggest buying Shimano just for the resale value alone.. if you don't like BC reels, you can sell it.

Abu just dropped it's prices on the Premier, STX, and SX, go check out tackle warehouse

Abu reels are nice, but their finish don't hold up as well as Shimano/Daiwas.. The gearing on the Shimano/Daiwa reels are better and more reliable as well

I agree with you. I bought a Pro Qualifier at the spring sale and with the reel exchange got it for $69.00. Worth every penny and then some. I wanted to try bait casting but was a little reluctant and didn't want to spend a lot of money until I tried them. This was the first bait caster I've used in over 40 years. It took me about an hour to learn how to use it and have used it at least 10 times since and I'm impressed.

X3 on the pro qualifier. I used the 4.7 on cranks in the 1 1/2 ounce weight class all last year, and the thing was better than I bargained for. Revo parts fit it, if you want to upgrade. I may buy another when I head north this weekend. Really solid value.

I bought the canean a couple of weeks ago as well as a abu 6600. The canean for the price of about $100 , plus ,is a 5 star for bass and pike and compares to reels a $100 bucks more plus, Maybe something you may want to look at. They claim there casting is as good as any.:thumbsup_anim:Not to mention not a whole lot of money.

Edited by davey buoy

It's heartening to hear members have good experience with the lower priced units. I've always been of the mind that you get what you pay for and thus have the bank balance to prove it ;) If one could get two reels for the price of a higher end model, that leaves me with a spare/backup.

I'll take a good look at the BPS Qualifiers since it's getting good reviews here and that counts for something imo. I think looking down the road re:service and parts needs to be part of the equation so will think carefully about going with an Abu.

I'm a lefty fwiw.

If anyone has opinions on a 2 piece stick for said fish, I'm all ears.

thanks again !

WB

It's heartening to hear members have good experience with the lower priced units. I've always been of the mind that you get what you pay for

i think its more that a 100 dollar reel now has the technology and parts of a 200 dollar reel 5-10 years ago...

the high end stuff is still better...in most cases

Edited by Musky Mike

It's heartening to hear members have good experience with the lower priced units. I've always been of the mind that you get what you pay for and thus have the bank balance to prove it ;) If one could get two reels for the price of a higher end model, that leaves me with a spare/backup.

I'll take a good look at the BPS Qualifiers since it's getting good reviews here and that counts for something imo. I think looking down the road re:service and parts needs to be part of the equation so will think carefully about going with an Abu.

I'm a lefty fwiw.

If anyone has opinions on a 2 piece stick for said fish, I'm all ears.

thanks again !

WB

Just saying, more expensive with out doing research,can be just overpaying?,but at the same time if your set on something and can afford it ,why not!!

If I can get the same quality in a lower sticker price, I'm all over that ! Extra funds for terminal or gas for the truck/boat lol or that cottage upgrade at Lakair or Memquisit :)

one thing i check on low budget reels is the material for the outer case... i prefer metal...doesnt warp... if its plastic i like a lot of screws to keep its shape...none of that twist off sides junk...thats fine for the high end stuff... all those hours in the sun are hard on plastic... had a diawa with plastice sides i got for 80-100 bucks... lasted one year...another diawa i got the same day with aluminum sides is still going strong 5 years later... and the price was about 20 dollars more for the aluminum reel...

If I can get the same quality in a lower sticker price, I'm all over that ! Extra funds for terminal or gas for the truck/boat lol or that cottage upgrade at Lakair or Memquisit :)

With the PQ, vs, say an STX, most of the components aren't quite as good, and the tolerances not as tight, but with the 4.7, you get a set of brass gears larger than the ones in a 6500, and end up with what seems to be a really good little reel for the money.

anyone wanna hazard a guess who makes the Pro Qualifier for BPS ?

good info Mike, aluminum would probably take rough handling a bit better than plastic and backbay has an important point about tolerances and what one can live with if the rest of the reel is solid.

I should probably print this thread out so I can keep it on file for future reference.

thanks guys/gals

i think its more that a 100 dollar reel now has the technology and parts of a 200 dollar reel 5-10 years ago...

the high end stuff is still better...in most cases

Agreed. Many of these $100 baitcasters are way ahead of the older models when it comes to the casting/spool technology. In some cases the durability might not be as good. But for just above base price it's a real good option to start. I have a low-profile shimano that was on clearance about 20 years ago that I paid $200 (don't know what it was regular retail and I don't know what $200 twenty years ago is equal to now) But these $100 reels are lighter and can cast farther/ easier.

I do prefer aluminum over "plastic" for baitcasters in general but when it's really cold and wet the composites don't suck the heat out of your hand as much.

btw I have Abus, Diawa and Shimanos.