On An Average Day: Pigeon Lake - Kawarthas

T-Bone

Fished Pigeon Lake many times over the years, but not since 1999 (wow, a long time ago). Since then, the group of guys I fish with has greatly enhanced our skills in both locating and presentation techniques to catch walleye.

The subject came up that a visit back to Pigeon Lake may be in order next summer. So I present this question.

With all things equal...relatively stable weather, fishing key walleye periods (total 8-hours a day or so), and using proven walleye techniques, what would an average day on the water at Pigeon Lake produce? I know there are a lot of variables, but if one was to have a "good day", what does that amount to?

We're just trying to figure out if the opportunity to locate / fish / catch the 'eyes in Pigeon is worthy of the investment of an 8-hour car ride from Ohio and the cost of a week on that beautiful lake. And we get it...fishing is great everywhere, but catching is even better.

Thanks for the insights.

We're just trying to figure out if the opportunity to locate / fish / catch the 'eyes in Pigeon is worthy of the investment of an 8-hour car ride from Ohio and the cost of a week on that beautiful lake. And we get it...fishing is great everywhere, but catching is even better.

Thanks for the insights.

If you are worried about numbers and the drive , lets just say a good day on Erie would be an epic day on Pigeon. That said, the 2 experiences are very different.

If you come up after bass and muskie open you should be able to have fun every day. And you should be able to eat fresh fish every day as well. Weedline would be the ticket. Dropping into the holes or trolling with floating harnesses.

Good luck

Fished Pigeon Lake many times over the years, but not since 1999 (wow, a long time ago). Since then, the group of guys I fish with has greatly enhanced our skills in both locating and presentation techniques to catch walleye.

The subject came up that a visit back to Pigeon Lake may be in order next summer. So I present this question.

With all things equal...relatively stable weather, fishing key walleye periods (total 8-hours a day or so), and using proven walleye techniques, what would an average day on the water at Pigeon Lake produce? I know there are a lot of variables, but if one was to have a "good day", what does that amount to?

Thanks for the insights.

I live on Pigeon and let's just say it isn't like it was in 1999.

Hard to give you a number. You would have some good and some not so good days. I went to Quinte a couple springs ago and two of us caught over 100 walleye in 3 days. We thought we had them figured out, but have not come even close to those kind of numbers since, so that's fishing. Pigeon can be very busy at times throughout the summer and with the clearer water, the walleye fishing is a little tougher these days.

I don't fish Pigeon alot, but I do right next door on Buckhorn & Chemong.

I can honestly say I haven't had a 10 pickerel day since, ironically enough, about 1999.

There's still a healthy enough population I believe, I see them in all sizes (even the odd pig of 8 or 9 lbs), just not as easy to get to bite. I imagine you're a better walleye fisherman than I, so you still can have some success.

The regs have changed since '99, four fish allowed in a keep slot of 13.8" to 19.7".

for a trip you have planned there are lots better places to fish than pigeon lake !!!! i grew up on the lake and its sure not like it was,do some more homework and maybe add a few hours to your drive and you will do alot better,go to the st lawrance river,and fish for bass and muskies,or to lake erie,or go up to quebec instead !!!

When I was guiding on Pigeon it was a good day when we got into double digits of eaters. Throw in a couple fish over 4lbs it was a great day.

Do not expect a cast and catch fishery on any Kawartha lake, that being said, if the hunt is your thing you've pick a good lake for that.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone...that's what I thought / feared. Too bad.

I can remember way back (mid/late 70s) that we'd go out on Pigeon every evening and catch loads of walleyes. Through the 80s it got tougher...and in the 90s we started trying new waters north. We now fish Quebec every summer and love the rugged wilderness far north and east of North Bay, and the fishing is off the charts.

Pigeon Lake will always be a favorite of mine even if the walleye fishing isn't nearly what it used to be. It's what got me hooked on going to Canada fishing every year over 37-years ago...and the tradition is stronger than ever today.

It's what got me hooked on going to Canada fishing every year over 37-years ago...and the tradition is stronger than ever today.

That is good to hear! A lot of my past clients were American, almost everyone would comment on how amazing the resource is we have here. I think alot of us residents take it for granted.

Good Luck on your choice!

Phil

Edited by Harrison

If going early in the season, Pigeon might be a decent option, but later in the summer the walleye are much more difficult to locate.

I'd say go to Quinte or Erie for a walleye outing. If going for a bass catching trip, Pigeon would be a great destination.

If going early in the season, Pigeon might be a decent option, but later in the summer the walleye are much more difficult to locate.

I'd say go to Quinte or Erie for a walleye outing. If going for a bass catching trip, Pigeon would be a great destination.

I want to fish in an around Peterborough. In early may. Do you recommend a spot? PM me please.

Also how is the fishing on Pigeon River, I want to go next weekend. I am interested in fishing from the shore.

Thank you.

Quinte is a whole different monster than the Kawartha's.

Two totally different bodies of water, and totally different personalities of fish!

What works on Quinte, isn't necessarily what you'll do well with on the Kawartha's and visa versa.

But, if it's walleye you're after and are coming from Ohio, then I would highly recommend Quinte. Can't argue with the numbers and/or size when you get them figured out. If you choose Quinte and would like some pointers, shoot me a PM and I'll try and help you out!

Edited by Stoty

If he's coming all the way from Ohio he would be bypassing the best walleye fishery in the world...and that of course would be Lake Erie...both Erie and Quinte are mostly fished by trolling....maybe he doesn't want the boat to catch the fish and take turns reeling in a fish that sometime feels like a wet rag.

My point is it doesn't make any sense driving by the complete south shoreline of Lake Erie to do basically the exact same kind of fishing at the Bay of Quinte.

I know from my experience, I am tired of dragging around lures for Lake Erie walleyes....that's why I would rather fish for perch on Erie.....but jig fishing the small lakes in northern Canada for walleyes get's me arching.... :D

Edited by Billy Bob

I hardly troll at all for spring walleyes on quinte. I might drag around a worm harness, but I get the majority of mine jigging or on jerk baits.

The fall fishing is a different story, its all trolling!

Pigeon lake has gone down hill. There are many reasons, but IMO, I blame it on the guys running the locks. They have dropped the levels in there and left eggs out of water too many times, and now the lake can't catch up. It used to be my go to walleye lake, but i haven't fished there for eyes for years. Just not worth it, when there are several better lakes right in the same area. All the kawartha's are hurting from the water levels. There are several year classes missing in the whole chain of lakes that will never come back. It will take a few years with good spawning for them to recover.

Lots of musky in there though!!

S.