Deep cycle battery back at Costco

bassfighter

Deep cycle is best for trolling motor only. Get the one with the highest Ah (amp hours) and you will get the longest run. Deep cycle need to be kept charged, you can't let them go or they will never charge back fully. On board charger is a good thing to have with them so you can just plug in when done fishing.

I guess my question really was:

Is a marine battery that says just "deep cycle" better than a battery that says "deep cycle/starting" if it is only being used for a trolling motor?

Even if the "deep cycle" battery has say 115 Amp hours. And the "deep cycle/starting" has 120 amp hours? As the Costco batteries earlier in this thread show.

I recall reading somewhere that this is the case but wanted to be sure.

Matt, the so called dual purpose batteries deep cycle/starting are not real deep cycle batteries. They would not be my first choice for a trolling motor battery. They do not work as well with the depletion and recharge cycles. Get the biggest one you can afford or fit in your boat. As mentioned above, Costco is a great place to buy them.

Costco is a great place to buy them.

As I mentioned in another thread, I just picked up a pair of Group 27 deep cycle Kirklands from Costco for $95 each.

Never tried them before but lotsa guys around here like them so I figured I'd give em a go.

Edited by lew

man, running 12 months a year, and using my batteries through December, January, and February, I wish I could get 5-7 years out of my batteries.

If I can get 3, I'm lucky (that's with keeping them at 100%).

Once they drop below 80% on a full charge, I sell them off (or most recently, given them away).

these are group 29 batteries.

• 2 weeks later...