Deep cycle battery back at Costco

bassfighter

Saw Deep cycle battery back at Costco, 650 amp for $80, while 750 amp for $90. They are decent for the price and warranty has always been the best in the industry.

They also have dual purpose battery. For trolling , I would suggest use single Deep cycle, my battery lasted me for 5 years with proper maintenance. I read on line the Dual purpose is not as powerful for trolling.

It was discontinued last year and now back on the shelves.

Autospot sells trolling motor battery for $85.

Edited by bassfighter

Deep cycle batteries usually have "Amp Hour" rating

Starting batteries usually have "Cold Cranking Amp" ratings

Are you sure the ones you mention are deep cycle?

Just wondering

I noticed them at Costco the other day as well. They had the Kirkland group 27 size deep cycle battery for $89.99.

Will check the amp hour next time I'm there.

Costco battery warranty are the best,no question ask policy even after 3 years.

make sure to check the manufacture date as well, to ensure you are getting one made this year not last year. Do not disregard the sticker that show the date 5/02, useful info when battery gets damage and need replacement warranty.

My car and boat has their battery for the past 15 years. only car battery got damage after 3 years and they prorated the cost of the battery , they have 48 months warranty on their batteries.

something to compare to, I use powersurge battery's made by east penn battery also deka and diehard lines i have been happy with them but i pulled the spec sheet out for you guys to compare.

12v deep cycle 27dc 575 cca 200 reserve min

12v dual purpose 27dp 650cca 175 reserve min

I have found the dual purpose batteries make GREAT main engine starting batteries (my outboard is only 50hp) and they run EVERYTHING from VHF radio, 2 LMS 520C graphs, etc.....everything EXCEPT my trolling motor...the last 1 lasted 9+ years......but I do have a onboard dual charger that is ALWAYS plugged in when the boat in not fishing or being trailered.

I was considering the costco ones, but than they disappeared. I went with a group 31 anyways. Have 3, paid 140 for the first two, 150 for the next. I think they were rated 810CA, 225 min and made by Trojan. Seem to work good soo far.

If your looking for a 27 costco or walmarts seem to be the cheapest.

Edited by danbob

Sort of related, but wanted to add if you're looking for an extreme marine battery, check out Odyssey Batteries

AutoLTVcutawaycopy.jpg

They are not the cheapest (in fact probably the most expensive!), but they're likely the best.

I picked up the group 31 marine and it is rated at 1150 Cold Cranking Amps! It also weighs nearly 80lbs hehe

Tony

I just went through a somewhat exhaustive study of batteries; specifically investigating AGM vs traditional wet cell deep cycle. I had 2 Group 27 Interstates in my boat and wasn't satisfied with my run time. From what I read I felt the best value for a deep cycle application was the Deka group 31 AGM battery sold by Sams Club. AGM's have some specific advantages over wet cell in marine applications, the most important being they are safer, but they also discharge more slowly when stored, recharge more fully over time, and last considerably longer than wet cell batteries. One can expect 6-7 years of service. The biggest disadvantage is weight (not a concern for me) and cost. The Deka's offered at Sam's Club, however, are made in the US, PA to be exact, have a 3 year full replacement warranty and cost only slightly more than a group 31 wet cell @$170 ea. I read many positve reviews on them. In comparison most other AGM batteries of this size and reserve capacity are around $250.00.

The Deka's offered at Sam's Club, however, are made in the US, PA to be exact, have a 3 year full replacement warranty and cost only slightly more than a group 31 wet cell @$170 ea. I read many positve reviews on them. In comparison most other AGM batteries of this size and reserve capacity are around $250.00.

That's a great deal! I paid around $500 for my 31 Odyssey.

The specs are better on the Odyssey, but wow, decent specs on the Deka Intimidator for that price!

Can you get them around here anywhere? Is there Sams Club in Ontario?

Deep cycle batteries usually have "Amp Hour" rating

Starting batteries usually have "Cold Cranking Amp" ratings

Are you sure the ones you mention are deep cycle?

Just wondering

I noticed them at Costco the other day as well. They had the Kirkland group 27 size deep cycle battery for $89.99.

Will check the amp hour next time I'm there.

These are the marine batteries available at Costco,

Group 24, deep cycle, 685 MCA, 95 AH, $77.99

photo8.jpg

Group 27, deep cycle, 750 MCA, 115 AH, $89.99

photo10.jpg

Group 27, starting/deep cycle, 845 MCA, 120 AH, $99.99

photo9.jpg

The specs are better on the Odyssey, but wow, decent specs on the Deka Intimidator for that price!

Pretty sure if you go on-line and select the Sams Club in your area you can determine if they are stocked in your store. If not, however, it might be worth a call to your Sams Club because AGM's can be shipped with less precautions than wet cell batteries. My understanding is the Sams Clubs in the eastern part of the US stock them but not out west so you have a decent chance to find them. I bought mine at the Lakewood NY store.

I think Sam's Club fled Ontario a few years ago.

I just went through a somewhat exhaustive study of batteries; specifically investigating AGM vs traditional wet cell deep cycle. I had 2 Group 27 Interstates in my boat and wasn't satisfied with my run time. From what I read I felt the best value for a deep cycle application was the Deka group 31 AGM battery sold by Sams Club. AGM's have some specific advantages over wet cell in marine applications, the most important being they are safer, but they also discharge more slowly when stored, recharge more fully over time, and last considerably longer than wet cell batteries. One can expect 6-7 years of service. The biggest disadvantage is weight (not a concern for me) and cost. The Deka's offered at Sam's Club, however, are made in the US, PA to be exact, have a 3 year full replacement warranty and cost only slightly more than a group 31 wet cell @$170 ea. I read many positve reviews on them. In comparison most other AGM batteries of this size and reserve capacity are around $250.00.

yes the agm are great, I sell em, made by east penn can be deks or powersurge but as good as even the regular batterys are cannot even begin to compete with costco pricing a 27 series deep cycle i add 10 bux to my cost still have to sell it for $125

yes the agm are great, I sell em, made by east penn can be deks or powersurge but as good as even the regular batterys are cannot even begin to compete with costco pricing a 27 series deep cycle i add 10 bux to my cost still have to sell it for $125

I totally agree if the group 27 will provide the needed performance, but unfortuantely I needed more in my heavy 20' boat. I probably should go to a 36 v system, but I'm hopeful the battery upgrade will significantly improve my battery life.

• 2 years later...