Navionics

Dan668

I have maps for my Hds. But I wanted to buy paper maps or navionics app for when I'm away from the boat to figure out areas that I'll fish on the next trip. I don't fish a big variety of lakes but plan to try out others which are all popular lakes and are on the app.

Does the app run well on an Android phone? Is it worth purchasing

I still don't understand if we can take the chip out of the GPS and run it on a computer or not. It would help a lot with re-naming/organising a lot of spots I have marked.

You can with Navionics $129 program :)

Sorry for dumbing up this thread, but I am still confused.

I downloaded the Navionics PC app. It was free since I already had the Gold edition for the plotter. So, the chart opens fine from my computer, but when I go to import data from the card, no files of the type it can import show up. It's a Hummingbird 788ci. Are the waypoints saved locally by default and not to the card with the Navionics chip?

Sorry for dumbing up this thread, but I am still confused.

I downloaded the Navionics PC app. It was free since I already had the Gold edition for the plotter. So, the chart opens fine from my computer, but when I go to import data from the card, no files of the type it can import show up. It's a Hummingbird 788ci. Are the waypoints saved locally by default and not to the card with the Navionics chip?

You shouldn't be writing to the Navionics card, your finder has 2 card slots, put an empty card in the slot and save it to that. Waypoints are saved on the unit itself, not the card. You'll have to export them from the menu.

You shouldn't be writing to the Navionics card, your finder has 2 card slots, put an empty card in the slot and save it to that. Waypoints are saved on the unit itself, not the card. You'll have to export them from the menu.

So once you export your data can you put in on the app so it looks the same as your unit in the boat...?

I'm gunna have to look into this... Cause I have a gold chip so I guess it's free If lota lota is saying what I think he is...

I believe to view your map chip on your PC you need the "Nav Planner" software and the navionics card reader. The maps wont work in a standard SD slot on a computer. Also, if you have the PC version as well as the mobile version, you can enable "sync my data". This mirrors all your routes/waypoints, etc on your PC and your phone, so when you add a new waypoint on either, it's automatically view-able on the other.

PC app is around the $30 I believe... which is a pretty darn good deal considering it has all of US/Canada on it, and the chips retail for about 6 times that and only cover 1/3 of the area...

Stoty is right, PC App allows you to DL maps to view on your computer, NavPlanner is required to view your Navionics card on the computer..

I can easily transfer waypoints/routes from my spare SD card into MapSource or similar. The 788ci will also import waypoints in GPX format as well.

HumminbirdPC is also another option for the guys with Humminbird units.

What kinda stuff can you do with this software...?

Other then look at maps on your PC...

Edit your waypoints?

Can you edit the map itself?Cause I know of some channels that aren't on navionics...or island names that are different and stuff...

Mike, you can't edit the maps but you could enter waypoints and transfer them over.. So if you found a channel, make a bunch of waypoints and drop it on a SD card and into the spare slot of your finder. It will automatically upload the waypoints on the SD card during boot up.

Nice. So it looks like the pc app is better than the mobile version to view maps.

No difference in the apps themselves, just viewing on a computer gives you a larger screen (I hope!)

Which is exactly why I love my new iPad3! The best of both worlds! :thumbsup_anim:

PC app is around the $30 I believe... which is a pretty darn good deal considering it has all of US/Canada on it, and the chips retail for about 6 times that and only cover 1/3 of the area...

Nope!!!

Does not.

It seems as though Navionics thinks the world ends at the 60th parallel. <_<

Unfortunately the only electronic mapping software available that covers my area is on CMap Cartridges. :wallbash:

Maybe one day they will have my area on their software but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

No difference in the apps themselves, just viewing on a computer gives you a larger screen (I hope!)

Which is exactly why I love my new iPad3! The best of both worlds! :thumbsup_anim:

Nice, i think ill just download it for my tablet than. Dont ever use it really, this will put it to good use. And easier than printing maps.

Nope!!!

Does not.

It seems as though Navionics thinks the world ends at the 60th parallel.

Unfortunately the only electronic mapping software available that covers my area is on CMap Cartridges.

Maybe one day they will have my area on their software but I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry... 99% of USA, and all of Canada, LOL