Spring bass on the fly

limeyangler

Hi all,

kinda cool afternoon. Long story short...a month ago i get random message on youtube from a guy who seen my vids ....turns out he is re-locating to dryden from scotland. Last week a message he has arrived....this morning a message about going fishing...an hour later we are in the boat....no jokes about meeting men on the internet allowed!

Anyway....Scott turns out to be super nice guy, rarely meet folks into fishing that are not good folk.

Scott is an avid flyfisherman and was keen to give it a shot up here for bass and pike. He makes his own rods and christened his new one today with a few pike and bass(the cedar wood handle he crafted on his rod is a sight to be seen...KERWAAAALITEEEEEEY!

Anyhoo, we set off from my lawn and headed to some of my bass stomping grounds. Not long before we found some fish....most coming out of 2-8'FOW....and i dont think one was under 18".....real fat bass today. Was cool to see a fly rod in action...and although the little homemade topwater poppers did not get hit...the silvery fly/bucktail things were snapped up aggresively. I had just a plain 1/4 oz jig and minnow.

Anyway....Scott...if you read this....was a pleasure to meet ya...had a blast...you are welcome in my boat anytime dude :thumbsup_anim:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DhBgvel5KbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SCOTT TIES ALL HIS OWN FLIES TOO!

IMG_1684.jpg

WAS NOT LONG BEFORE THE NEWLY MADE ROD WAS CHRISTENED

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

ALL BIG FISH TODAY

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

Sounds like the perfect partner for you Simon :thumbsup_anim:

NWO blokes brother tag team B) The poor fishes don't stand a chance now :whistling::lol:

OOOOOOH....your such a bugger TJ....lol

And just for the record Scott is Canadian...just lived in Scotland for a while.

Convinced him to join....he is just waiting to be cleared or whatever and he will have a report of his own to post.

Convinced him to join....he is just waiting to be cleared or whatever and he will have a report of his own to post.

Good stuff Simon. thumbsup_anim.gif

I just approved Scott's (Havtaflyfish) account, he's good to go.

I really appreciate you getting me out on Sun Simon. I was happy enough just sitting in the boat, so getting a couple nice smallies was just a bonus. A great way to break in the new rod. After seeing how many hammer handles there are up here I will have to do OT on tying up clousers. I cant wait for it to warm up so the poppers will start producing, thats my favorite. I love it up here, loads of fishing opportunities and a lot of very nice people.

Thanks again Simon for going out of your way and getting me out on the water.

Ta the noo (bye for now)

Simon & Scott,thats is pretty cool,sm bass on a flyrod is something I have been wanting to try for years.

Fly fishermen are a very rare breed in this area of NWO.

My home lake holds lots of smallies,perhaps you 2 should head out this way & teach this "old dog" some new tricks this season.

I was amazed to find fly fishing wasnt that popular up here. Well I love it especially for warnwater species. Im also looking forward to fishing the dry fly for whitefish when the hex hatch starts up here. Im hoping once simon sees the poppers in action that he will give it a go. All this stuff about it being an art blah blah blah. Its just another kind of good old fishing. A few photos of the new rod you asked....

9' 4pc CTS 8wt. Casts perfectly with a 330 grain short head line. Grip is made from stabilized black ash burl, corian black and white trim rings and birchbark in the middle.

img3221wp.jpg

The winding check turned from the leftove grip material

img3219wh.jpg

Guides are finished with a very thin urethane coating to stay away from any bulk. Hopefully you can see how slim all the guide wraps are. I like that on a fly rod

img3220jq.jpg

So there ya go theres my new rod i broke in in NW Ontario. I think this rods in for a workout!!!

Wow, now that is cool! Very nice bass gentlemen, and welcome to the board Scott!

Nice rod as well, impressive work! The CTS steelhead rod blanks are very popular here in Ontario, I've often thought about trying one of the fly rods.

Cheers

Simon & Scott,thats is pretty cool,sm bass on a flyrod is something I have been wanting to try for years.

Fly fishermen are a very rare breed in this area of NWO.

My home lake holds lots of smallies,perhaps you 2 should head out this way & teach this "old dog" some new tricks this season.

I have not tried it yet Rick, but given that yer invitin' we will have to come up....trout in there too n'est pas?

Welcome aboard Scott, fellow rod builder, fly tier and fly fisherman, can't be all that bad me thinks. ;)

I think you 2 will have lots in common....lol

Ain't that the truth. Great report Simon and welcome aboard Scott.

Thanks man.

Welcome aboard Scott! Ya gotta love the size of those bass!

You saying my b ass looks big in that:P

Welcome aboard Scott!!!

Great fish guys, nice chunky bronze!!!!

Great report, but I must say I was looking forward to some close ups of the new rod whistling.gif

Its a work of art Rick.

I was amazed to find fly fishing wasnt that popular up here. Well I love it especially for warnwater species. Im also looking forward to fishing the dry fly for whitefish when the hex hatch starts up here. Im hoping once simon sees the poppers in action that he will give it a go. All this stuff about it being an art blah blah blah. Its just another kind of good old fishing. A few photos of the new rod you asked....

9' 4pc CTS 8wt. Casts perfectly with a 330 grain short head line. Grip is made from stabilized black ash burl, corian black and white trim rings and birchbark in the middle.

img3221wp.jpg

The winding check turned from the leftove grip material

img3219wh.jpg

Guides are finished with a very thin urethane coating to stay away from any bulk. Hopefully you can see how slim all the guide wraps are. I like that on a fly rod

img3220jq.jpg

So there ya go theres my new rod i broke in in NW Ontario. I think this rods in for a workout!!!

That rod will be working overtime.

Wow, now that is cool! Very nice bass gentlemen, and welcome to the board Scott!

Nice rod as well, impressive work! The CTS steelhead rod blanks are very popular here in Ontario, I've often thought about trying one of the fly rods.

Cheers

Thanks solo....those blanks are nice.

Now that looks like a helluva lotta fun! Gorgeous fly rod as well.

great fun for sure.....cool to watch a fly rod in action too.

My gosh thats a nice rod!!!

I bet money that you had a hard time paying attention to your own rod/line Simon, lol.

FYI I couldn't get out today, some pretty good storms rolled through. Hopefully tomorrow...

Edited by manitoubass2

My gosh thats a nice rod!!!

I bet money that you had a hard time paying attention to your own rod/line Simon, lol.

FYI I couldn't get out today, some pretty good storms rolled through. Hopefully tomorrow...

I got out for 2 hours and watched the skies carefully the whole time...lucked out in the end...no rain or thunder here all day.

Got a couple nice bass.

I got out for 2 hours and watched the skies carefully the whole time...lucked out in the end...no rain or thunder here all day.

Got a couple nice bass.

Lucky dood, calling for rain and thunderstorms here for the next 5 days. I'll get out here and there, just won't be for very long.

Bass are starting the year off bigger then usual, you noticing the same thing??? Gonna be some real tanks around here come fallthumbsup_anim.gif

Lucky dood, calling for rain and thunderstorms here for the next 5 days. I'll get out here and there, just won't be for very long.

Bass are starting the year off bigger then usual, you noticing the same thing??? Gonna be some real tanks around here come fallthumbsup_anim.gif

I can honestly say i've only caught 3 or 4 under 18"........so yeah...they are big this year.