Boat won't turn over//

fisher

The annual spring ritual of hoping my boat starts after the winter is upon me

and this year, it won't. It cranks but just won't start.

So, now of course that is all I have been consumed with since yesterday and now I have given up and need to hand it over to the pros. Has anyone used BassPro mechanical services? Do you drive up an drop off, or do you need an appointment? I am waiting until 10am to give them a call but thought I would ask here first.

Edited by fisher

Hi Roy, it ran great until I winterized it last fall. So, yesterday after a few hours of not being able to get it to start, I decided to change the spark plugs. A minute later, it fired right up and I let it run afor a few minutes and thought great, it worked. But then when I shut it off and took off the plugs to see if they were dirty (which they really were not, I put them back in). It hasn't started again since. i fiddled with the plugs on and off but still nothing. Could it be I put them in too tight or too loose?

It is a 1992 merc 40 hp, manual choke, just above the electronic ket starter (sorry I am not mechanically versed). The choke is a lever that is above the key.

Some other notes: I hear a click when I push the key in to start, so I know that works (I think it is the enricher). The fuel is new, I ran stabilizer and fogged the engine last fall). The ball is hard when I pump it on the fuel line.

Couple checks

Fuelfilter??--they're cheap and need replacing regularily

You changed plugs

Have you been burning reg-unleaded ethanol added gas?

2 yrs ago I had a similiar prob---that rubber deterioriates with ethanol---little chunk in one carb--getting sucked in??

Just a thought---did you use fuel treatment??

It is a 1992 merc 40 hp, manual choke, just above the electronic ket starter (sorry I am not mechanically versed). The choke is a lever that is above the key.

Some other notes: I hear a click when I push the key in to start, so I know that works (I think it is the enricher). The fuel is new, I ran stabilizer and fogged the engine last fall). The ball is hard when I pump it on the fuel line.

Actually that lever is the fast idle.

To choke it push in the key and it will send a shot of fuel into the cylinders.

check your kill switch, common enough issue when they sit.

where you located there are much better service centres than bps, if anything try top gun marine only another 30 min north and you get a real expert to look at the boat.

if your near lindsay i would look at it for free for an OFC a 40 hp isn't to bad to work on, though it does sound like you flooded it, have you tried cranking it over with the choke off anf wot to clear it

Just wanted to thank Tybo for his help today. While we didn't get the boat started, he did diagnose a bad/cracked stator (spelling?). Anyway, I plan to call Top Gun Marine tomorrow to see when I could bring it up for them to repair it. Thanks to everyone for their input and especially Tybo for taking the time to help out a fellow member.

I have heard that some engines require that the plugs are lined up in a certain direction for the engine to fire. In other words, the electrode has to be pointed in a certain direction. I would think that the engine would have to be marked at the plugs with an arrow, then it would be a matter of marking the plugs so that they line up in the right direction. Just a suggestion, that based on the facts might be the cause.

Check your owner's manual or download one from the manufacturer's website.

I have heard that some engines require that the plugs are lined up in a certain direction for the engine to fire. In other words, the electrode has to be pointed in a certain direction. I would think that the engine would have to be marked at the plugs with an arrow, then it would be a matter of marking the plugs so that they line up in the right direction. Just a suggestion, that based on the facts might be the cause.

Check your owner's manual or download one from the manufacturer's website.

Be really careful taking any advice from the the guy who told you this....

Edited by whiskywizard