Land Access Question

NAW

So I've been trying to get access to a decent looking property for a while now.

I finally see the farmers out and about, so I go and talk to them. Turns out they rent to property from a Korean fella down in the City. They don’t know his phone number, just the contact info for the property manger.

The farmers (the tenants) give me verbal permission to hunt the property.

I call the property manager to ask him, and he tells me the Land Owner did not give him the authority to allow hunters on his property. But he knows the land owner doesn't want hunters on his properties.

So, I don’t have permission from the land owner. But I have verbal permission from the farmers who rent the property.

Would you hunt this property?

I am going to try to get the land owners phone number, and call him directly. But the property manager didn't seem to keen on giving me his number.

Edited by N.A.W

I know how you feel :wallbash:

alot of the properties we once hunted are now owned by people in the cities although the farmers/leasers/renters have said yes you took the extra step and went for the owner or his rep and they said no I cant say i wouldnt pursue the owner just to get the final say.

Its tough watching them run around. as it stands Id say your on a no go, farmers have no control and it seems we are moving toward a world where nobody wants the liability and most outsiders dont get hunting. All they can focus on is the fact you have a weapon on their site. Sorry man dont really know what to tell you, take it as a loss and move on it really is the right choice . The way I look at it is I have fought long and hard to get the rights to do it im not about to loose the right for a bad choice.

Cheers

Bitme

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Owner has the final say. It's his property. No offence, but I wouldn't let anyone hunt on my property, you don't know who the yahoos are so why take the chance. I've chased hunters off our farm years back and was threatened. So, I'd do target practice with my 300 WinMag every time I was up and that scared all the game off for a couple of kilometers around.

I'd say hunt it, unless the lease/rent agreement excluded hunting as a permitted activity. If I rented a piece of land to farm and I didn't feel secure with hunters on the property I feel I should have the right to post it no hunting as a renter, by the same token the opposite should be true.

I'd hunt it.

I'd also try to get in touch with the owner, and tell him you've talked to the tenants, and they are OK with you being out there. Its a tough call tho....

This is the one thing I hate about turkey hunting. Its all about scouting and securing permission. I'm in it for the hunt, not the begging. I hate it.

S.

I'd say hunt it, unless the lease/rent agreement excluded hunting as a permitted activity.

That's what got me thinking, and lead to me posting this.

I don't know what the farmers lease agreement says about hunting, and granting access.

But by the farmer giving me permission, I can only assume that he has the right to do that. If not, he is breaching his lease agreement.

I know that the land owner doesn't like hunters on his properties (blanket statement). The guy owns thousands, and thousands of acres. But I don't know if the farmers lease agreement gives him the authority to grant hunting permission. :wallbash:

Thanks for you opinions so far guys!

All my hunting buddies just tell me to go hunt the place, and don't think twice. You guys give good, un-biased options, and I appreciate that.

Edited by N.A.W

This is the one thing I hate about turkey hunting. Its all about scouting and securing permission. I'm in it for the hunt, not the begging. I hate it.

S.

I know. It's brutal.

I've got 450 acres of signed permission in writing from the owners.

No dam Turkeys in any of those properties..

I have properties that I hunt where the landowner tells me to talk to his tenants for permission. If the landowner is never on site, and doesn't work the land, he really doesn't need to know anything about it.

I also have properties where the land is leased, and the landowner has me clear permission with the guy who works the land. In this case, all the leasee asks is that I don't drive on his crops.

Whatever you do, don't piss anyone off. Work on building a relationship, even if it doesn't happen this season. Always let them know when your going to be there, and carry out more than you carried in (I'm talking garbage, not game!) Offer a hand around if you see something that needs done. Repair any fences you see that are in need. I bring my kids in the off season for hikes, and we always carry out a bag of garbage, and let the owner know of anything that is out of place etc.

I got permission this year on a property I have been asking for 4 years now. I still stop in and shoot the bull with the landowner any time I see him around the farm house. He's a great guy, but had given up on allowing hunters on his property. After getting to know him thru chatting here and there, he's finally agreed to allow me to hunt, but I have conditions that I must follow. The big one is no one else with me, which is fine by me. His biggest problem with hunters was that the guy he gave permission to in the past had a few of his buddies in there hunting without him being there, and didn't clear it with the landowner. So the landowner was out working the fields, with guys hunting it that he didn't know. It rubbed him the wrong way, and he stopped all hunting on his properties for years!

It always pays off to stop in and chat. In my case it paid off bigtime! Most times they will talk your ear off, and ya can't get out of there!

S.

Thanks for the advice Sinker. I opperate along the same lines as you do.

What sucks is. We've had permission on 3 great properties, and in the last year, 2 of the older farmers passed away, and their kids gated the properties, and put up no hunting signs. And the 3rd property was sold, and is going to be turned into some sort of commercial building lot.

I would have loved to go knocking on doors months ago, but I've been pre-occupied with other crap.

I was going to scrap this season, but figure I'll give it a shot.

I would try to get the tenants to give permission in writing and to hell with the owner, unless the owner has something in the lease. the tenant has sole use of the land and the landlord can not give permission for people to access the land

Edited by Terry

An important question in the original question is do the farmers actually live on the property?

If they do than they are the occupiers & have far more authority than if they just rent the field for farming.

Unless specifically prohibited by the rental contract the decision would be the occupiers.

If they do not live there, than they in most cases would only have the right to farm the land.

Well the good thing is. I saw a flock of birds in one of fields I just got written permission for earlier this week. Talked to the farmer. The other guy who hunts there is gone this weekend. GAME ON..!!!!