merc 9.8 new impeller and still no water.

richyb

My 1982 merc 9.8 wont spit out water. I changed the impeller and I can blow air through all of the lines but it still wont pump. Before I take it to the shop does anyone have any sugestions?

Poke the outlet of the tell tale with a piece of wire or paper clip.

I have had bugs plug up the very end before and went through what you did only to find this out after. :wallbash: :wallbash:

A piece of mig welding wire works really good for this.

Did you put the impeller in your self.

This may seem stupid, but are you sure all the tubes are connected properly?

On my evenrude, you have to be very carefull to get the tubes to line up just right, or they will not connect properly, or kink a little.

i just came in from starting my 20 merc for the first time this year and i noticed that i didn't get any water out of the pee hole on top just a dribble, after the motor ran for a couple minutes the stream started. I agree with the previous poster, there must be a thermostat that has to heat up before the stream comes.

Poke the outlet of the tell tale with a piece of wire or paper clip.

I have had bugs plug up the very end before and went through what you did only to find this out after. :wallbash: :wallbash:

A piece of mig welding wire works really good for this.

A piece of weed trimmer line works great as well.

I can pull off the rubber output line on the top and blow into it and I can get bubbles in my barrel of water so I don't think its clogged up. The "fins" on the impeller come straight out and I had to bend them to put it in. When I move the prop back and forth the " fins" flop one way and the other so it cant be in backwards. With the engine running I can feel air blowing out of the rubber output hose.. Thanks guys