What would you do?

GBW

Hey all.

So today was clean up day by my place so we hit a river (well a BUNCH of us did) to clean up any garbage. After a few hours doing so my kids and I decided to hit up another river right by my house for a nature walk. This one was not on the clean up list (from the town) as there are no real paths there at all. It's just a forest with a river by my place.

So when we got home I was still out front having a smoke when 2 early teen boys were walking by. One with big rubber boots on and a fishing rod in hand and the other with nothing to use to fish with. I was quiet about them going fishing but when I heard the one say "If I catch a big one it's going home to show my dad" and that's when I said "trout is out of season right now guys so if you get one don't bring it home, you don't want to get in trouble".

What would you have done if anything?

Me, I'm all for letting the younger kids learn and have fun first and foremost but the parents should tell them the rules, right?

what I would do is hang up my hall monitor badge and let kids be kids! - thats like telling someone doing a roll through stop at a stop sign......."hey you didnt come to a full stop"

Kids are going to do what they want, telling them "you dont want to get in trouble" is like telling a fat kid not to eat smarties...............pointless

JMO

shawn

what I would do is hang up my hall monitor badge and let kids be kids! - thats like telling someone doing a roll through stop at a stop sign......."hey you didnt come to a full stop"

Kids are going to do what they want, telling them "you dont want to get in trouble" is like telling a fat kid not to eat smarties...............pointless

JMO

shawn

Why not give them slingshots and go hog wild at the local school, there's lots of windows, or maybe lets start a couple of forest fires... :wallbash: :wallbash:

Rules are to respected with fishing and hunting, otherwise you're encouraging POACHERS.

I would do the same. Educate the kids in a good way to let them know there is a season for trout and a reason why the season is there.

I was in the same situation today. I was fishing and same thing, these 2 youngsters came along and was trying to snag fish in a open season fishing area. I told them it was wrong what they were trying to do and then proceeded to set them up with some proper tackle. Showed them where to cast and wouldn't you know it, the one young lad hooked into and landed a nice bow around the 6lb mark. He fought it to the shore where they then took pictures and were tickled pink. They then asked me if it would be good to eat or should they "throw it back". I let them use my release tools and and once again taught them how to properly release the trout. They were very thankful. I was happy I took the time to teach these kids how to catch a fish and hopefully 2 more kids are off the streets not getting into other mischief. I am now out a few more spinners, but they are replaceable.

Cheers, Ron...

I go at them a slightly different way....I take it trout is closed but other things are open..

so I would have said

hey guys just a heads up, it sounds like you are fishing trout

well I found out the hard way they are closed till the(what ever date they open)....and I got caught by the COs..cost me $400.00 and I didn't even know they were closed....so if that's what you're fishing for you had better be careful or you will be paying big bucks too the COs seem to be everywhere, I wish someone had told me they are closed season

I feel they think you are trying to help them and not trying to tell them what not to do.......most cases they will leave thinking you did them a favour ..

There are idiots running around with a $1000 worth of float gear that say crap like this as well, lol.

Absolutely! There is a difference in a couple kids sharing a rod, and idiots with $1000 worth of gear, though!

Kids get a full catch limit!

S.

All it takes is a talk and some advice (like Ron).

Tell them exactly whats up and why.

Boys being boys = bullsh.... IMO.

Take the time out of your day to teach the kids about the resource, the seasons, different species, how/when/where why etc.

It'll make you feel good at the end of the day, plus you know your doing the right thing.

and nothing wrong with telling them how the regs are enforced either. Many young peoples first experience with the law or the things they hear about it leave them second guessing. Tell them exactly how it is, in a friendly manner of course.

I fish with kids from my reserve all the time, and it takes alot of talking to get them to understand, but it's totally worth it. Plus you get some new fishing buddies for your kids.

GBW, I think you did pretty good though for being caught off guard.

Edit... and tell them where they can get the regs, and if possible, how to read them

Edited by manitoubass2

for the record,

This is one situation where I'd prefer helping, rather then calling the tips line.

I think it's fairly safe to say they kids fishing OOS are doing so ignorantly, and not a deliberate act against the resource.

Obviously that might be up to the person viewing though, and subject to the circumstances

If they are under 18 they are allowed a full license quota,Other than muskie quota

Good to know. I take my nieces fishing from time to time (and hope to take my nephews a lot when they're older) and I'd hate to make them throw a good eating sized fish back if they didn't have to. So anyone under 18 can't keep a musky even if it's above the slot size? Interesting, can they even fish for them then?

I'm in my late teens, and back when I was 10 or 11 me and my friend used to go try to catch the bass OOS. If it hadent been for a man like yourself giving us some good constructive advice and telling us where to get the regs guide, we might still be doing it today so I think what you did was great and you approached it in a good way like you were trying to help them. thumbsup_anim.gif

Good to know. I take my nieces fishing from time to time (and hope to take my nephews a lot when they're older) and I'd hate to make them throw a good eating sized fish back if they didn't have to. So anyone under 18 can't keep a musky even if it's above the slot size? Interesting, can they even fish for them then?

Call the MNR and ask them.

Edited by manitoubass2

Always try to educate a youth if you see them doing wrong, good chance their parents don't fish & don't know the rules, I know lots of buddies that took their kids out & would be there casting, reeling & catching fish, when I asked them if they had a licence & they didn't, I told them if I was a CO you would be charged, there is nothing wrong with helping with casting, netting but don't stand there doing everything while the kids watch & they have went out & bought a licence so they could legally be fishing when the kids weren't, just a thought, good on all that educate

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

I've been fishing Suckers in the creek behind my house now for a couple weeks, and the other day... some ass-clown called the MNR thinking we were fishing OOS trout. The MNR guy was plain clothes with binoculars, at first I thought he was a bird watcher... then he started asking us questions about trout. I said "I've seen like 2 swim by in the last couple weeks, but we're fishing suckers" and that's when he stated he was with the MNR. Nothing bad happened, since we weren't fishing trout and knew the rules and where we are actually allowed to fish trout. But really, if you've been watching us through your window and saw us catching fish, you should at least be able to identify to VERY OBVIOUS differences between a trout and a sucker before you call the MNR. I really hope that ass was watching through his window as the MNR guy walked away and we remained there fishing.

You gave them good solid advice without being a jerk. Perfect.

They are just young, they will be fine. Maybe they will pay more attention to the regs now that you have made them think of it.

Thanks.

I would do the same. Educate the kids in a good way to let them know there is a season for trout and a reason why the season is there.

I was in the same situation today. I was fishing and same thing, these 2 youngsters came along and was trying to snag fish in a open season fishing area. I told them it was wrong what they were trying to do and then proceeded to set them up with some proper tackle. Showed them where to cast and wouldn't you know it, the one young lad hooked into and landed a nice bow around the 6lb mark. He fought it to the shore where they then took pictures and were tickled pink. They then asked me if it would be good to eat or should they "throw it back". I let them use my release tools and and once again taught them how to properly release the trout. They were very thankful. I was happy I took the time to teach these kids how to catch a fish and hopefully 2 more kids are off the streets not getting into other mischief. I am now out a few more spinners, but they are replaceable.

Cheers, Ron...

Wow Ron, good on ya!

I go at them a slightly different way....I take it trout is closed but other things are open..

so I would have said

hey guys just a heads up, it sounds like you are fishing trout

well I found out the hard way they are closed till the(what ever date they open)....and I got caught by the COs..cost me $400.00 and I didn't even know they were closed....so if that's what you're fishing for you had better be careful or you will be paying big bucks too the COs seem to be everywhere, I wish someone had told me they are closed season

I feel they think you are trying to help them and not trying to tell them what not to do.......most cases they will leave thinking you did them a favour ..

You are right Terry, I was trying to help (keep them out of trouble) and educate a bit. not be a jerk or hall monitor as mentioned in the second post.

All it takes is a talk and some advice (like Ron).

Tell them exactly whats up and why.

Boys being boys = bullsh.... IMO.

Take the time out of your day to teach the kids about the resource, the seasons, different species, how/when/where why etc.

It'll make you feel good at the end of the day, plus you know your doing the right thing.

and nothing wrong with telling them how the regs are enforced either. Many young peoples first experience with the law or the things they hear about it leave them second guessing. Tell them exactly how it is, in a friendly manner of course.

I fish with kids from my reserve all the time, and it takes alot of talking to get them to understand, but it's totally worth it. Plus you get some new fishing buddies for your kids.

GBW, I think you did pretty good though for being caught off guard.

Edit... and tell them where they can get the regs, and if possible, how to read them

Tks Man

I'm in my late teens, and back when I was 10 or 11 me and my friend used to go try to catch the bass OOS. If it hadent been for a man like yourself giving us some good constructive advice and telling us where to get the regs guide, we might still be doing it today so I think what you did was great and you approached it in a good way like you were trying to help them. thumbsup_anim.gif

Glad to see someone offered you some advise and you listened and I'm sure you are a much wiser angler today because of it. thanks for the support too.

So, today I printed off the zone 17 regs and have a copy in my garage so if I see them again while I'm out for a butt I can hand it to them. Thanks all.

I woulda told them trout season is closed, but suckers are open all year :thumbsup_anim:

S.

Suckers in cold water,yummy. :whistling:

Agreed, kids are just out to have some fun.

When I see a kid/young one,I dont get upset. I try to tell them they are doing something wrong. NOW when I see these guys that are straight lining on the notty,ahhhhhh,dont get me started. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: