Fishing Question for the pro's

Skipper D

Skipp

As The Bill Man said---way too many variables

not only with species---water temps in spring--spawning----cover----

One lake the bite is hot in the height of day---another it's in low light

every spot needs to be treated individually

One consistent I can say----Find the food source---you'll have your target nearby

That is a good question but I don't think there is any easy answer. I do find that walleye seem to bite best just before dark. If I fish walleye off my dock I won't get a bite until close to sunset. The bite will last for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour and a half but when it quite, that is it for the night. Under the right conditions I've hammered them at 2:00 in the afternoon when the sun was shining. I have seen times when crappie fishing that you wouldn't get a bite until the sun was high over head. Other times you wouldn't get a bite until the sun was setting.

As others have pointed out, too many variables!

As dey say in Kaybek ... its depennn on da situation of dat

What I like to call the "witching hour" can happen at almost any time of the day (although it does seem to happen both early in the morning and around sundown most often) ... the secret is to be there when it happens ... and when it does - you'll know ... everything will suddenly come alive ... the birds, the bugs and of course the fish ... it'll last anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour and just as suddenly as it turned on it will turn off again ... thats whay us die hards spend so many hours on the water ... those few magical minutes make the whole day worthwhile !

i have fished many tourneys..fish can be caught all day long... they are feeding different areas different time

mile high sky is my favourite this will usually position fish in shady areas...logs.weeds.rocks..this will usually narrow the areas to look..not unlike humans an umbrella and a cold drink on a hot day is where you find us

Depends on lots of things skip...

Fish with "night vision" like walleye and musky can be caught 24 hours a day... But for predators like this I've found in most cases they bite best from supper time (5pm) till a bit after dark...

Perch always seem to bite better in the morning... Like 1 hour after sunrise till 10 or 11 am...

And scent feeders like carp and catfish are also 24 hour feeders... But even with them I find evenings good for cats and mornings good for carp...

Hope this helps a bit...

Some really good answers have already been given. Another thing I think should be considered are the light conditions of the previous day. If it was overcast and dark all day the day before I would consider going out first thing in the morning the next day as the light transition may trigger fish to feed, however if the opposite were to occur I would not rush to the water.