Repair Question/Opinion

Millhouse2020

Just want to pose a question to the members regarding a repair/maintenance issue.

You go to a local dealer and ask, I would like a steering friction kit installed on my tiller motor like the one you have on your shop floor over there, and they say sure, the parts are $267 plus taxes and 1.5 hours labour to install. You say, geese thats a few bucks but I really want the steering friction kit to help control the motor, OK go ahead. Dealer proceeds to install the kit. I pick up the boat, take it home and lo and behold, the kit is not what i asked for. Do some research and its the only model available for my motor. No one explained this before install but as long as it works I will make do. Turns out the kit that was installed rubs on the transom and scratches it. Furthermore, with the motor trimmed up, it does not allow me to turn right at all because the bar on the friction kit digs directly into the transom. Dealer says, they cant make it work, its my boats transom thats the problem. They say they will take it off and will refund me the cost of the parts but not the labour to install, total cost breaks down as follows;

Parts $267.63

Labour @$95/hr 142.50

Sub-total 410.13

HST 13% 53.32

TOTAL $463.45

I feel they should refund the labour as well. They are the platinum certified dealer so I expected them to know how to install the kit. Further, I would have expected the technician to test the unit after installation, if he did, he would have seen it clearly scratched the transom and that it did not operate properly with the motor trimmed up. Im glad I didnt take the rig out on the water and find out the hard way I could not turn right while in shallow drive.

This was my first dealer experience on my first rig I bought used last year. The engine is a 2006 60HP Evinrude E-Tec. I researched dealers before hand and the one I went to was the only Platinum certified dealer in my area, this is the highest rating BRP gives to its dealers.

In my work as well as my experience with my own vehicles, contractors and other stuff, I dont typically pay for someone elses mistakes. Thoughts are welcome, including your experiences with BRP customer service related issues.

Millhouse

I had a similar experience with a 'certified' dealer (somewhere in Oakville/Burlington whistling.gifwhistling.gif ) approx 5 yrs ago. I tried to resolve it as civily as possible and they chose not too. Explained that I would post my experience (on another well known site). That didn't phase them, so I posted. Members are still constantly reminded to avoid this particular dealer when looking for advice/recommendations. I asked one more time for a resolution. They basically told me to 'screw off'.

So I took them to small claims court.

They were so arrogant, they didn't even show up.

I was awarded just under $5000.00 for a disputed service bill of 1700.00

Then they tried to negotiate after they recieved their court notice/order. I told them to 'screw off' and recieved my $5K within 6 weeks of the court date.

It was very rewarding and worth the time and effort.

Slayer

Nice work Slayer! Thanks for sharing. There is more to this story as well. I did have a servicing done to the engine along with the install of this kit and i did have a problem with a fuel injector which they replaced under warranty. Too many issues to discuss fairly and thoroughly here though. My concern right now was this issue of the labour. For the record, i did get refunded, but i had to stand there and debate/argue the issue with them for a half hour or so. I was told many things, like I asked for the kit, the issue is my motor, the issue is I dont understand what i want etc etc etc. They also did not answer my calls and emails about the issue until I contacted BRP customer service. They were piiiiiissed off I did that but they werent responding to me so I saw no other option to get things resolved.

I really hate complaining and having to fight for this stuff but I am of the firm belief that with many, if you dont, you get the short end of the stick. My fiance and I are in the process of planning our wedding and doing home renos and its just one after another after another. I just wanted to make sure I was on point with this since I have never quite had an expereicne like this with a dealer/repair shop before in the past. I get the feeling recreational vehicles are just a different ball of wax compared to cars and trucks.

Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers,

Millhouse

Question

Is your motor a tiller or console steering?

If you have console steering I would suggest replacing the helm to one of the (NFB) no feed back units. I did this on my boat as I was tired of always readjusting the steering while trying to set downriggers etc.

The NFB units actually have a clutch mechanism that locks the steering until you yurn the wheel. No more watching your wheel slowly turn to the right while trolling. ;)

They are easy to install but before ordering you need to remove the original steering cable from the boat in order to get an accurate measurement of it's length.

If you are semi handy and can read instructions it's an easy install.

It took me about 2 hours from start to finish.

NFB Steering Kit

Thanks Drifter,

My motor is a tiller model. It has an upgraded tiller handle with gear shift and trim control on the handle. It sounds like the system you mention may not be an option for me but I will look into it. I have the same issue wherebye, when trolling or helping others with lines or landing fish and i let go of the tiller handle the boat veres left or right. There is a nut on the shaft that I can tighten to adjust the tension but its not prescise and it loosens quickly.

This issue with the dealer started last year and long story short we agreed to resolve in the spring so I just got resolution now. I still feel the dealer was pretty neglegent in this case with the friction kit in that they obviously didn`t test it once it was installed. All in all its a learning experience for me and I will be sure to ask a lot more questions in the future and inspect everything a lot more closely.

I would still like to see if I can find something that will solve my problem. BRP does not seem to have anything but the kit that was installed for these older model engines. Newer models have a completely different and more effective set-up it seems. When I originally asked for the kit I asked for the same set-up on their show room tillers. No one told me I was getting something different until I picked it up. I`m not sure if there are other after-market type options for this outside of BRP but I will have to do some homework and check it out.

Thanks for the feedback,

Millhouse

Im running a 2006 Evinrude E-tec 60hp. It ran great at first after I bought it however toward the end of the season last year it started to stall frequently. On my last outing it almost left me and my bro stranded on lake Nippissing in November. Not fun... When I took it in for service I was told it had a blown fuel injector and fortunately for me, I bought the motor with warranty coverage still on it til 2013 so the repair was covered, despite some hardships in getting the warranty transferred to me. The motor has not seen much use, the diagnostic test showed only about 250 hours or so of running time so less than 3 seasons of standard use as BRP considers a season to be 100hrs of run time according to the manual. Otherwise, the motor has plenty of power and being a 2 stroke great throttle response. Good fuel mileage too. I made sure to buy the highest grade of oil from BRP to ensure it runs as efficiently as possible.

I just took it out of storage and am hoping to have it on the water soon. Will probably spend some time this weekend cleaning her up and getting things set back up for the season.

You may be able to fix or reduce trolling oversteer by adjusting the vertical trim tab on bottom side of the anticavitation plate. Go easy though, as a little adjust means alot of adjust when on plane. Mark (etch) the original position, losen the trim tab (usually a 5/16" Allen wrench depending on motor OEM). If motors' swivelling to right (Starboard) and boat go's left, adjust tab 1/8-1/4" to right (Port). Tryit, fixit, tes-twit until it's going straight and also acceptable once on plane as well.

not sure but if someone asks me to install something don't matter if it works or not they pay pretty simple, after all you initiated the the replacement of parts doesn't sound like you asked if it worked.

Maybe i am getting stupid to, but if you ob was stalling why would you take it out on nipissing in the first place? dum ass move you ask me

not sure but if someone asks me to install something don't matter if it works or not they pay pretty simple, after all you initiated the the replacement of parts doesn't sound like you asked if it worked.

So if I went to a car dealer to put on 13" rims on my car that has 16" rims then according to you it would be fine if the only way they could make them fit is to weld them to the rotors & that would be OK because I asked for them. :rolleyes:

Note to self. Only deal with professionals who have a clue what their doing & are not afraid to say "that won't work" instead of "let's see the money".

Edited by Woodsman

So if I went to a car dealer to put on 13" rims on my car that has 16" rims then according to you it would be fine if the only way they could make them fit is to weld them to the rotors & that would be OK because I asked for them. :rolleyes:

Note to self. Only deal with professionals who have a clue what their doing & are not afraid to say "that won't work" instead of "let's see the money".

No but if bring your car in and check it for fitment at yuor request your paying pretty simple, my time is money.

Pretty sure I know What Iam doing and it isn't for free

You may be able to fix or reduce trolling oversteer by adjusting the vertical trim tab on bottom side of the anticavitation plate. Go easy though, as a little adjust means alot of adjust when on plane. Mark (etch) the original position, losen the trim tab (usually a 5/16" Allen wrench depending on motor OEM). If motors' swivelling to right (Starboard) and boat go's left, adjust tab 1/8-1/4" to right (Port). Tryit, fixit, tes-twit until it's going straight and also acceptable once on plane as well.

Thanks nightfisher. I will have to look into this option closer. I have not attempted any adjustments/repairs myself except to adjust the nut on the shaft which is supposed to tighten steering friction. Unfortunately it only works temporarily and loosens again. I joined an e-tec webboard in the hopes of the getting more info from owners of similar motors. One person suggested a product called a titantiller which is a hydraulic attachment. It looks like a nice product but the price tag may be steeper than what i can reasonably afford to do at the moment.

For the record, I only took the boat out on Nip because I reported the problem to the same dealer earlier on when I started to experience it. They suggested I buy a number of different fuel treatment products since the likely cause of the stalling was carbon buildup. So after parting with my money and heading home with a handful of bottles of carbon cleaner, fuel system maximiser etc etc I used them according to the directions and it seemed to work, at first. So I continued to use the engine but it went back to stalling frequently in particular during my fall trip on Nip and thats when I took it in for a servicing and diagnostic test to the same dealership and they told me at that point one of the fuel injectors was done. The engine had only 226 hours on it at the time I believe so this was a surprise.

For me personally as a professional, I have to admit and correct my mistakes. I expect the same from other professionals I deal with whether they are accountants, lawyers, contractors or mechanics. Maybe I have been lucky so far but the odd time I have had issues, people came clean for it and resolved it once I brought it to their attention. I think I am going to write BRP a detailed letter to explain how this friction kit part of theirs functions so poorly. It is apparantly the only option they offer for engines from 2004-2009. What bothered me most was the dealers attitude on the whole thing, no admission of responsibility whatsoever. First it was my motor, then it was my transom, then it was me not knowing what I wanted etc etc etc. In the end they said, "...we can't get it to work, what do you want to do?" I thought it was a rehtorical question but they were serious so I had to explain that I usually don't want or keep things that don't work so I asked for a refund which I had to fight for quite hard. It didn't leave me with a very good feeling about their work and I just hope the fuel injector replacement was done properly or I'm in for a lot more problems. I have not had it on the water yet this year but hope to this weekend.

Millhouse