Marine Wire

Dan668

12 gauge sounds a bit large....what are you wiring.... :dunno:

16 and 18 gauge should do it depending on what you are doing....are you running a main line from the battery to a fuse panel where multiple components will run off of it....if so then I could see 16 gauge or maybe 14......but not 12.

12 gauge sounds a bit large....what are you wiring.... :dunno:

16 and 18 gauge should do it depending on what you are doing....are you running a main line from the battery to a fuse panel where multiple components will run off of it....if so then I could see 16 gauge or maybe 14......but not 12.

Just a mainline from the battery to the fuse panel.

Just a mainline from the battery to the fuse panel.

I did this 27 years ago on my boat....I did not use marine wire though....I used 16 gauge wire to the fuse panel....off that panel I have a compass light, dome light, horn, cigar lighter, VFH radio and two Lowrance LMS 520C units running off of it...everything has been on at the same time, except maybe the cigar lighter which is used to light my cigars and power my Minno-Mizer aerator.

Make sure you make good connections and you should be fine.

Bob

I did this 27 years ago on my boat....I did not use marine wire though....I used 16 gauge wire to the fuse panel....off that panel I have a compass light, dome light, horn, cigar lighter, VFH radio and two Lowrance LMS 520C units running off of it...everything has been on at the same time, except maybe the cigar lighter which is used to light my cigars and power my Minno-Mizer aerator.

Make sure you make good connections and you should be fine.

Bob

Ok thanks for the input, its a friend of mine whos rewiring his older boat. He just put in new batteries and wanted to rewire because hes revamping it this year.

Just a word of caution if you have an electrical claim on insurance and it is not stranded marine wire they will not pay the claim. Solid wire is a big no no it is not flexible enough and will break before stranded wire will.

Art

12 guage is fine for your main bus wiring from the battery to helm.

Don't forget to use a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker within 12" of the battery on the positive lead. ;)

I suggest running 12g power and ground and using terminal blocks for distribution at the helm.

12 guage is fine for your main bus wiring from the battery to helm.

Don't forget to use a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker within 12" of the battery on the positive lead. ;)

I suggest running 12g power and ground and using terminal blocks for distribution at the helm.

Same here.

Keep in mind, some insurance companies require a marine survey after the boat is of a certain age. If you don't have the proper wiring, you won't get insurance. Besides, if your going to do something, do it right the first time. usually is a lot cheaper this way.

12 gauge is what you want from the battery to your main fuse panel,

12 gauge is good for 20 amps so use a 20 amp fuse as close to battery as possible, You can use an automotive style(ATO) fuse. Never use a fuse higher then the wire it is supposed to protect.

The Rigging Shoppe in Scarborough has proper marine wire.

West Marine on Queens quay and Oakville also carry it.

Edited by stonefish