Marian Hossa leaves ice on stretcher

woodenboater

Wow, after Jonathan Toews criticized the fact that Shea Weber escaped a suspension, Raffi Torres nails Marian Hossa. Leaves his skates for the hit. and this is only the first round. If Shanahan doesn't show some backbone, someone is going to get seriously hurt before they hand over the Lord's cup.

Doesn't anyone throw old school mid ice hip checks anymore ? Torres should be tossed for the rest of the playoffs and well into next season as well. Repeat offender who obviously hasn't learned anything.

NHL needs to drop four or five teams and thin the pool, put some emphasis back on exciting (ie-no dirty hits) end to end play.

Get rid of the instigator penalty, let the players enforce themselves, problem reduced considerably.

Exactly!! Torres will get 6 games. IF he stays on the ice, its a clean hit. Injury or not. But he left his feet, making it a charge.

Torres is a joke of an NHL player.... the ONLY way he gets any attention is to pull stunts like that.

I hope he gets what's coming to him... and more!

Good ole case of "small man's syndrome".

Enjoy watching the rest of the playoffs from the sidelines!!

I agree with Sinclair 100%. Scott Stevens had done this countless times in his career. Where did it change from big hits to dirty hits? This hit was a bit late but whatever happened to "keep your head up"? Be Aware of who is on the ice There is a lot of admiring passes and skating with your head down going on in the NHL today. Being a defenseman that played a hitting game its tough to watch every "big hit" get looked at by shanny. This one was called right during the game. 5 min charge and a game. But 6 games for hitting a guy that is fine the next day. Come on. Looked bad at the time though and glad he's fine.

Difference between Stevens and this hit was Stevens lined you up as you were cutting across or accepting/admiring a pass in open ice coming at him and he took you out of the play, not when you were peeling back into your own zone.

Not too long ago when cheapies like this happened you expected knuckles to the nose, now you just get a pile on.

Edited by Harrison

While the Stevens locomotive was of the time, I think it's now part of the bigger picture re: injuries and marketability for the NHL. Too many players seem to be injured and some is the result of advanced equipment materials. Are they ever going to bring back softer padded elbow pads ?

I think we're all for good clean hits but this wasn't. Hossa wasn't admiring anything and was out of play and Torres launching himself was just wrong and imo, premeditated. He had enough time to contemplate his course of action and chose to leave his skates.

I'd hate to see us go back to the days when Shore, Bailey and Horner ( yes, no helmets back then) lit it up.

That Steven's hit on Ron Francis was not pretty at the time

Guys are bigger and stronger now and according to Cherry forever and a day---the eqpt has zero give to it

I'm sayin Torres has a trend in headshots---and cause somebody's not lookin at the time---does not make it ok

Gonna hit---that's fine----keep the dirty sneak attacks out

Be a man hit hard but the victim should be able to brace himself

Bad hit from a bad hockey player. He should get a lengthy suspension. He could have let up since Hossa no longer had the puck.

There was 0.8 seconds between the time he lost the puck and got hit. Good luck changing ur mind on hitting someone that quick, the game on the ice happens a lot faster then u see on tv. That timeline is acceptable to finish a check, wasn't a late hit. He left his feet, making it illegal. If he stayed on the ice, its a good hard clean hit. Torres is no saint, and for that reason, he's gonna get nailed. Hossa wasn't turning to the bench, so I don't know where that came from, from whoever mentioned that.

And the difference between scott stevens and a lot of the hits we see now, was all of stevens hits were good clean hockey hits, that due to the force and the position of the other player, sometimes have devestating results.

See>>> Eric lindross, when u skate with ur head down, ur gonna get drilled.

The best way to stop guys like Torres is to ban him from hockey for a year or two. Losing all that income, the message will get through. Might be severe, but how many guys have to get hurt by him and others like him. Cooke on Pittsburg is an example. His career was being threatened because of his on ice behaviour. He changed his ways this year and made a positive contribution to the team. Don't get me wrong, I love hard hitting hockey, just not the cheap head shots.

There was 0.8 seconds between the time he lost the puck and got hit. Good luck changing ur mind on hitting someone that quick, the game on the ice happens a lot faster then u see on tv. That timeline is acceptable to finish a check

not for nothin but .8 seconds is LOADS of time to lay off....

watch Stevens hits.

Almost all of them are shoulder to head. That was a legal hit then however.

But yeah, Stevens hit on Lindros today and thats a big suspension

Here is a good body check, lol

no, some were shoulder to head, most were shoulder to chest, and the ones that did contact the head, as u mentioned, were legal hits then... but, also were not what stevens was targetting it, they were usually due to the size difference in players he hit, of the result of players skaing while looking down, putting themselves in that vulnerable position.

and even now, with the head shot rules... u can still contact a players head with a check, AS LONG AS, it it not targeted intentionally, and is not the main point of contact on the hit.

u've clearly never played hockey before....

I love those assumptions. I'd have to ask you the same question then. have you??

if you cant make a stop (i dont care how fast your goin) or change directions in less than a second you may be playin, but you aint palyin well...

men's league dont count bud

no, some were shoulder to head, most were shoulder to chest, and the ones that did contact the head, as u mentioned, were legal hits then... but, also were not what stevens was targetting it, they were usually due to the size difference in players he hit, of the result of players skaing while looking down, putting themselves in that vulnerable position.

and even now, with the head shot rules... u can still contact a players head with a check, AS LONG AS, it it not targeted intentionally, and is not the main point of contact on the hit.

Yeah, I forgot about the intent to hit the head aspects.

For Stevens hits I should have mentioned also that I'm referring to some of the more memorable hits, but yeah, I don't see intent to hit the head.

I know he had TONS of clean, hard hits in his day as well.

Whenever him or Rob Blake were on the ice, I was always watching closely for that big hit to come.