trailer tires

bassdreamer

Looking to buy new tires for boat and landscape trailers .Where is a good place to find them at good price !The tire size for both are ST 175 80R 13 . Thanks in advance kim.

im looking for 3 of the same tires...

I have had good luck with the ones from Princess Auto.

hows the prices there?

I paid $28 each 3 years ago for those tire sizes and that included mounting and balancing at Fox Tire on William Street in Buffalo....they are P175/80R/13 that are actually car tires.....if you don't have a heavy boat they work much better then trailer tires.....the last set lasted me about 10 years (from Sam's Club)....but hard to find unless you do the conversion now.

I went to several tire dealers here and they kept trying to sell me trailer tires...but I did that 3 times...they don't last very long....so I called around and Fox Tire gave the quote over the phone and I couldn't believe my ears....got the guy's name and did a B line down there....

Now if your boat is heavy the side walls might not be strong enough for the application....so do the math as the weight is marked on each tire....if you have clearance you could move up to a wider tire to gain more carrying weight per tire.......or pay the piper and get the over priced trailer tires.

Check with local tire shops. They will have to mount the new rubber anyways. Just make sure you get the correct load rating AND ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE BEFORE HEADING OUT and make sure your bearings have grease in them and you shouldn't have problems.

Don’t know if this helps or not with me being in London; but I can get you a Goodyear Marathon in a load range C for $115.00 each cash & carry; plus tax. Throw another $11.85 in for install and valve stems.

A load range C tire is a 6 ply tire, rated for 1360lbs @ 50psi.

The only thing about the Marathon tire is that they are pressure fussy. To get the best life out of them you must keep a close watch on their pressures; keeping them as close to max (50psi) when the tire is warm or about 48psi cold.

Don’t know if this is just a rumor or not; but the MTO are supposedly going to start checking trailers, making sure the tires are rated for the weight being carried?

Dan.

I have had good luck with the ones from Princess Auto.

Thanks i will check princess auto out !

I will also check tire stores in the gta ! But london is kind of out of the way ,but thanks guys for your suggestions !

Edited by bassdreamer

I paid $28 each 3 years ago for those tire sizes and that included mounting and balancing at Fox Tire on William Street in Buffalo....they are P175/80R/13 that are actually car tires.....if you don't have a heavy boat they work much better then trailer tires.....the last set lasted me about 10 years (from Sam's Club)....but hard to find unless you do the conversion now.

I went to several tire dealers here and they kept trying to sell me trailer tires...but I did that 3 times...they don't last very long....so I called around and Fox Tire gave the quote over the phone and I couldn't believe my ears....got the guy's name and did a B line down there....

Now if your boat is heavy the side walls might not be strong enough for the application....so do the math as the weight is marked on each tire....if you have clearance you could move up to a wider tire to gain more carrying weight per tire.......or pay the piper and get the over priced trailer tires.

many years ago I had my tires cut while at a bass turney, I couldn't get the right tires so I put on a pair of car tires so I could get home

the trailer never tracked so well, the trailer neve rpulled as nice as when I put the car tires in it, they never got hit they lasted for years and hat was a 19ft ranger bass boat..but when I said it here a few years ago everyone jumped on me for giving bad advise about trailer tires and that only trailer tires can be on a trailer..good to see someone else had a good experience with car tires

many years ago I had my tires cut while at a bass turney, I couldn't get the right tires so I put on a pair of car tires so I could get home

the trailer never tracked so well, the trailer neve rpulled as nice as when I put the car tires in it, they never got hit they lasted for years and hat was a 19ft ranger bass boat..but when I said it here a few years ago everyone jumped on me for giving bad advise about trailer tires and that only trailer tires can be on a trailer..good to see someone else had a good experience with car tires

Terry, I'm on my second set of car tires (got new ones 3 years ago) and I also have been jump on about it.....but I do hear their concerns "IF" the tires will not carry the weight.....each tire has it's weight capacity printed on the sidewall of the tire....so if one tire will take 1200 lbs then your rig must be under 2400 lbs unless you have a tandem axle. You may also be able to go slightly larger in width to gain carry capacity....most trailers have lots of room under the fenders.

When I used trailer tires it seemed about every 3 years I was replacing them....and they are EXPENSIVE compared to car tires. The last set of car tires lasted me no less then 10 years.

I also recommend when getting either tires, to have them balanced. That will help them last longer.

trailer tires have greater sidewall strength, are designed to run at greater pressures than car tires. are designed to run at a different camber than car tires. are more resistant to scrubbing and punctures than car tires.

trailer tires are what the MTO wants to see in a blitz on the 401. the fact they are more expensive might tell you they are a different product than the cheapy car tire at walmart.

marathon is a good trailer tire. alot of the discount tires will be branded 'carlisle'. tires on the rim are often not much more than the loose tire + mounting.

regardless of good/bad experiences i dont think it is good practice to 'advise' someone to use a product that wasn't designed for the application and is likely to end up with fines from the MTO or worse. i find this 'here is the cheapest/easiest/scabbiest answer to your question' attitude around here a little too often.

buy trailer tires because, well, they are designed for TRAILERS. if it isn't too far CERKA INDUSTRIES in milton has good prices.

marathon is a good trailer tire. alot of the discount tires will be branded 'carlisle'. tires on the rim are often not much more than the loose tire + mounting.

I read alot if different boating and fishing sites and the discussion on Marathon trailer tires comes up quite freqentely and I always find them interesting. There never seems to be a middle ground on them and guys are either very happy with them or think their nothing but garbage. Some guys say they've run them for years with zero problems and other guys are having them blow apart almost right away. They used to be made in the USA and are now from China but there's still alot of differing opinions.

My current boat came on an EZ Loader with Marathons made in China and I towed it for 2 years and never had an issue. I got a new tandem axle trailer last year and those tire are also Chinese made Marathons and after one season I'm happy with them....so far anyhoo.

Carliles are another tire that get mixed reviews and again guys either love them or hate them.

I had Carliles on a Yacht Club trailer I got new in '99 and was very happy with them. I never keep tires longer than 4 or 5 years and changed those ones for more Carliles and again was happy with them.

I'm very fussy with tire maintanance whether it's on my trailers or trucks and rotate them regularily, inspect them alot and check the air pressure before EVERY trip, even short ones which IMHO is the #1 thing for keeping tires safe.

Poorly maintained tires are probably the biggest reason for tire failier but far too many guys don't seem to realise that.

Of course thats just my opinion for what it's worth.

i dont have alot of experience with many other brands/models of trailer tires.

i bought THOUSANDS of goodyear marathons from 13"-16", and im sitting here trying to remember ever hearing a bad word about them, or about a failure. doesn't mean it didn't happen but i imagine people would have complained to us about tire problems.

god knows they complained about everything else.

i dont have alot of experience with many other brands/models of trailer tires.

i bought THOUSANDS of goodyear marathons from 13"-16", and im sitting here trying to remember ever hearing a bad word about them, or about a failure. doesn't mean it didn't happen but i imagine people would have complained to us about tire problems.

god knows they complained about everything else.

Time to change your hearing aid batteries then. Good for a year Marathons had to be replaced by the thousands from bad manufacturing a number of years back. They were replaced by the Marathon "S". Lots of blowouts, thread separations, etc.

it was before the change. i guess we just got lucky then. you have an interesting point about this tire brand to add to the conversation.

is/was your sarcastic comment at all necessary? did it make you feel better? i hope it did.

Edited by smally21