Herb Garden

Billy Bob

I want to plant from seed a herb garden this year......in the past I have grown parsley and dill......but this year I want to add the following....and the ground is already tilled and ready to go....so if you know when I can throw in the seed please let me know.....I'm only about 10-12 miles east of the Peace Bridge if that helps.....much warmer here then on the lake shoreline.

Basil

Oregano

Rosemary

Thyme

Cilantro

I want to plant from seed a herb garden this year......in the past I have grown parsley and dill......but this year I want to add the following....and the ground is already tilled and ready to go....so if you know when I can throw in the seed please let me know.....I'm only about 10-12 miles east of the Peace Bridge if that helps.....much warmer here then on the lake shoreline.

Basil

Oregano

Rosemary

Thyme

Cilantro

I see the prescribed medication is working really well Bob.mellow.gif

For rosemary I'd skip the ground and grow it in a large planter pot. It *should* be ok outside in the winter but we've had our potted Rosemary inside and out for somewhere around 5 or 6 years now. Had some growing outside but we always ended up killing it. As you can tell my thumbs aren't green.

You don't have sage listed there but that is one damned hardy herb. Grows like stink (watch it or it'll spread) but keeps coming back even after winters buried under feet of snow. Nothing beats a few sprigs of fresh sage on foil steamed trout ( along with proper amounts of unsalted butter and flaky kosher salt).

Edited by woodenboater

You guys are as useless as titts on a bull......but I love you anyway's...

How about you Farmer....and I mean the real oregano..... smile.gif

Somethin a little fluffy about guys discussing herbs, even at the best of times.whistling.gif

I would start your seed indoors now for best results, then transplant out at 2nd or 3rd leaf (appx 5")

As for thyme and rosemary, real slow growers. I would have started seed indoors last fall, you might want to consider buying starter plants. They also don't care for hard, cold winters.

Our annual herb plants for market (May 24) are already 1-2" out of soil. First of the tomato plants at 5". All in greenhouse.

If insisting on outdoor seeding, look up the appx last date for frost in your area, and plant after that.

Edited by bigugli

I would start your seed indoors now for best results, then transplant out at 2nd or 3rd leaf (appx 5")

As for thyme and rosemary, real slow growers. I would have started seed indoors last fall, you might want to consider buying starter plants. They also don't care for hard, cold winters.

Our annual herb plants for market (May 24) are already 1-2" out of soil. First of the tomato plants at 5". All in greenhouse.

If insisting on outdoor seeding, look up the appx last date for frost in your area, and plant after that.

Thank You Sir........

I don't have any good southern exposure windows so I have to do it outside......it sounds like it's too early right now......maybe I'll just put in some lettuce for now....what about the cilantro...any idea how early to get it going.....my parsley lasted the winter and is already 5" and that stuff spreads fast...

I've tried Basil from seed Bob and I don't recommend it. It always gets eaten by something. Bugs seem to really love tender little basil plants. You will have much better success buying plants in the 3-4 inch pots....trust me. If you are growing tomatoes spread them a little farther apart and stick a basil plant between each tomato plant. It is a form of companion planting that is supposed to actually make your tomatoes grow and taste better. I read it years ago and figured what the hell...and have been doing it that way ever since. Also basil plants are very sensitive to cold winds so don't try to jump the season too much. Stick the plants in around the time you would tomatoes in your area. I shoot for the middle of May here in Oshawa. I have had success earlier and failure too..so I stick with this time frame.

I do the same with oregano and Rosemary...get the 3-4 inch pots.

I also second Woodenboaters comment about sage. It is very easy to grow and we use it in lotsa stuff. I have started to use it in place of oregano in alot of things. If you ever do beer can chicken...or any whole chicken for that matter. Gently stick your hand under the skin of the bird without ripping it. Once this is done take fresh sage leaves chopped up into pea size bits and stick it between the skin and the meat before you cook the bird! It's awesome.

Any other gardening question and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Good luck with the green thumbing :thumbsup_anim:

I've tried Basil from seed Bob and I don't recommend it. It always gets eaten by something. Bugs seem to really love tender little basil plants. You will have much better success buying plants in the 3-4 inch pots....trust me. If you are growing tomatoes spread them a little farther apart and stick a basil plant between each tomato plant. It is a form of companion planting that is supposed to actually make your tomatoes grow and taste better. I read it years ago and figured what the hell...and have been doing it that way ever since. Also basil plants are very sensitive to cold winds so don't try to jump the season too much. Stick the plants in around the time you would tomatoes in your area. I shoot for the middle of May here in Oshawa. I have had success earlier and failure too..so I stick with this time frame.

I do the same with oregano and Rosemary...get the 3-4 inch pots.

I also second Woodenboaters comment about sage. It is very easy to grow and we use it in lotsa stuff. I have started to use it in place of oregano in alot of things. If you ever do beer can chicken...or any whole chicken for that matter. Gently stick your hand under the skin of the bird without ripping it. Once this is done take fresh sage leaves chopped up into pea size bits and stick it between the skin and the meat before you cook the bird! It's awesome.

Any other gardening question and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Good luck with the green thumbing :thumbsup_anim:

LOTS of great info here......THANK YOU.....I printed it out for future references....my dad had a green thumb....but back then I was too busy chasing skirts and fish to learn gardening....

For rosemary I'd skip the ground and grow it in a large planter pot. It *should* be ok outside in the winter but we've had our potted Rosemary inside and out for somewhere around 5 or 6 years now. Had some growing outside but we always ended up killing it. As you can tell my thumbs aren't green.

You don't have sage listed there but that is one damned hardy herb. Grows like stink (watch it or it'll spread) but keeps coming back even after winters buried under feet of snow. Nothing beats a few sprigs of fresh sage on foil steamed trout ( along with proper amounts of unsalted butter and flaky kosher salt).

Sage you say, huh......OK will try to get some seeds....the wife doesn't like it but I do.......when every I hear sage I keep thinking about all the silver sage that we seen when we went out west in '06....is this the same stuff.....if it is is should be free and that is all that is growing out there now after the great drought they encountered.

And THANK YOU for your time responding....

Bob

Same advice, only I am useless, and he's a Sir, huh? blahblah1.gif

I was being serious Bob!!! laugh.gif

Sinclair......I didn't forget about you.....so I have to ask you something I know your qualified doing....and I don't mean what kind of pocket pal do you like.... :whistling::sarcasm:

So.....how do you do these multiple quote things.... :dunno:

LOTS of great info here......THANK YOU.....I printed it out for future references....my dad had a green thumb....but back then I was too busy chasing skirts and fish to learn gardening....

I used to have a green thumb, but now i wear gloveswhistling.gif

Hey Bob, I keep 2, 30" pots on the closest deck to the BBQ and the kitchen. Herbs are always handy when I need them. I don't grow them from seed, it's just not worth it with the amount of stuff we have. Buy them already started, put them in your pots or barrels and just keep them watered. You can bring them indoors in mid-October and have fresh herbs till Easter when you start all over again. Some plants will be salvageable. Throw in a bay laurel in each pot, they come in handy for soups, stews and some sauces and they keep the rest of the herbs partly shaded.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/Bassigan/11-07%20garden/

Hey Bob, I keep 2, 30" pots on the closest deck to the BBQ and the kitchen. Herbs are always handy when I need them. I don't grow them from seed, it's just not worth it with the amount of stuff we have. Buy them already started, put them in your pots or barrels and just keep them watered. You can bring them indoors in mid-October and have fresh herbs till Easter when you start all over again. Some plants will be salvageable. Throw in a bay laurel in each pot, they come in handy for soups, stews and some sauces and they keep the rest of the herbs partly shaded.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/Bassigan/11-07%20garden/

OH MY Roy....I'm impressed... :worthy: ....how do you find time to fish..... :dunno:

I'm already pinching the tops from my green onion.

A few mint plants that are just starting; mojitos all summer long.

I also like fresh dill for fish

I chop it up and freeze it when they gets out of control. Summer herbs last me well into the winter

At this time of the year I just keep them in the kitchen on the window ledge. Over the next few weeks I'll throw them out on the balcony.

Edited by krixxer

Bob I cant offer any other info that hasnt already been given as far as herbs go. However if you are looking for things to stick in the ground now there are a few thinks you can. Peas love cold soil and cool weather..They generally go in easter weekend for me. you can also put in turnip radish beats swiss chard and some lettuces.. I even took a chance and put in a row of spinnich. If your garden is small enough it is very easy to cover up with plastic if we get a frost warning..Anyway take from that what you will and I wish ya well in the upcomming garden season.