Making a combo Electric Planer Board & Dwn Rigger

RSF

Hi all,

Looking at fish307 for down rigger parts yesterday, I came across a Dual Planer Board system I had not seen before..see: http://www.fish307.com/bertscustomtackle3footdoublereelplanerboardmast-mf3073d3.aspx

After looking at the three big OEM planer systems, manual and electric, I asked myself why are they not offering a combo system: 1 Elect Down rigger and 1 mast type Planer system? Actually I thought about it quite a bit as in my thinking it would make great sense to have two (scissor-like) booms, one for each.

Unless someone can tell me why they are not offering a connected combo, I will be making a combo this Fall as a sort of winter project. I had planned on making another electric down rigger, but after seeing (see link above), I see no reason not to make a dual boom combo. What do think, is it a feasable project?

Thankswhistling.gif

From the pic it looks a lot like my Cannon Mast but without the clutch's built into the reels. And a 3' is not tall enough IMHO.

Now are you saying that you want a mast that converts to a downrigger.....if so you wouldn't be able to rig and board at the same time...not good.

Good Luck on you project,

Bob

ok

maybe I am not following the info right

downrigger goes on the back of the boat

has heavy steel cable

planerboard mast has string/vinyl rope and goes on the front of the boat in the middle of the front deck

many people will run a downrigger for deep fish and a planerboard for shallow, at the same time

how would all the function if it was one unit

or am I missing something

HI,

Billy Bob, What I might do or at least thinking of, is making a Mast for Planer System (12 oclock vertical) and a Boom for the Downrigger (10 oclock arch) and both side by side facing the port side and sharing the same swivel base. I'd like to use both at the same time though each would be powered individually. Any advice would be muchly appreciated. I think it's feasable? Thanks for your help.

Terry, It would be two separate systems sharing the same base. I do not have the space to run the d-rigger out the stern and think it may be easier to run both at the same time if they were mounted on the same base facing the port side? Hopefully, the design would allow to run both or either one at anytime? Thanks for the help.

Thanks Guys. Anything more, feel add your thoughts..

Scott

NO reason to have a powered planer board system...hand crank it in at the end of the day only takes about 1 minute on each side if even that...

It's best to have the mast mounted way up on the bow and out of your fishing area.....the higher it is the better.....mine sticks up about 8' above the water line. If the mast is mounted mid ship it will inhibit your fishing area big time.....you say port side mounted mast.... :dunno: is this only going to serve as a single line mast.... :dunno:

I can't imagine the headache you'd have with the planner line, your rigger line and the line from both rods going off one side of the boat... This is the reason why planner masts are mounted in the front of the boat.. Get the line away from the boat and out of the way from everything else.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments, though down riggers I'm familiar with, the planer system I'm not and am told it's an effective method perhaps cause it's much quieter out there?

Billy Bob: Yes, it would be a single line. Curious to learn why an eight foot vertical planer-mast is best? Could it be the keep the mast line out of water (reduced drag)?

BillM: Thanks for your insight on mounting near bow. That may be a bit of a problem as I believe I'll be somewhat limited on base mounting i the bow area cause of the boat type. Basically I feel I'll need transom support which is why I may need to keep it midship, perhaps the starboard side?; the d rigger on the port?

Stonefish: Yeah, I hear yah. My first thought was when using both the downrigger and planer at the same time, having the two Mounted close to each other might work best when I'm the only one i the boat. Perhaps that's not going to work, at least from the same side.

Skeeter: Yes I can understand that but the initial thought was never to have the d rigger line on the mast, it would have a boom of it's own mounted 90 degrees from the vertical planer-mast.

Well, you guys have certainly changed my thinking on the concept of running them off the same base on the same side of the boat. As for electrically operated, that's a given as I already have the two motors needed and the manual cannon lake stroll I just converted to electric's been tested and easily (drags) and lifts a fitteen pound weight so I know these low-cost 12v motors are up to the task.

My first concern, before all your great input was the two line torque-force that would be continually placed on the mount. I now see I have many other important things to consider. Thanks for all your thoughts, it's appreciated.

Scott