Summer Fishing Vacation - Where to go?

MSBruno

Looking for the week which encompasses the civic holiday in August (Aug 6th) to head out of Toronto (max 4-6 hr drive) with the the family (8 people, ages 25 to 55). Looking for a nicer resort to fish and have some fun. I'll be bringing my 1994 16' bass-boat with 40 HP, so big water is a no-go.

I'm leaning towards http://www.wolseleylodge.com/ simply because I know people who fish there, but I've heard the French fishery has been on a steady decline. Looking for a place where my in-laws won't mind spending a week and where I can fill my boat with fish. I am primarily a bass fisherman.

Any other suggestions on location (Kawarthas vs french vs other location) or lodge?

All the info I've found online is promotional material speaking how great their places are and not real-world experiences.

Moonlight Bay Cottages on the French is a nice place. You've got a decent set of water to explore going upstream and down. Not that far from Sudbury if the family needs a break or you need to refresh supplies. Nice beach to spread out and soak up the sun if people are into that.

If you go to Wolseley, beware the rocks there in low water, real prop busters if you don't know the water.

Moonlight Bay Cottages on the French is a nice place. You've got a decent set of water to explore going upstream and down. Not that far from Sudbury if the family needs a break or you need to refresh supplies. Nice beach to spread out and soak up the sun if people are into that.

If you go to Wolseley, beware the rocks there in low water, real prop busters if you don't know the water.

Called Moonlight Bay and they are all booked.

not sure if my smaller bass boat can take the large body of water of Nipissing.

West Arm is sheltered enough for an 8' dory being rowed.

Temagami, generally always somewhere that is sheltered enough to fish no matter the wind.. unless it's a SW'r at 60K. I did 8MPH with my 22'r, in those 9 foot swells, on "Canoe Day". :wallbash:

Either lake is perfectly fine for that boat.

I would just hit somewhere in the Kawarthas. I know Rice Lake has plenty of nice places and the fishing can be good. I prefer to fish on Pigeon Lake though, but there aren't as many places my wife would actually stay at so I've been to Rice more often ;)

http://www.ricelakecanada.com/resort_finder.htm

French River is a beautiful system though, but I'd consider Bryer Lodge over Wolesley. Just a bit nicer place IMO. I am hoping to do a fall trip to Flat Rapids Camp on the Lower French this year. If I were to go longer than a weekend, I'd probably hit one of the boat-in camps.

http://www.frenchriverresorts.com/

not sure if my smaller bass boat can take the large body of water of Nipissing.

No problem. I used a 15' Fibreglass bowrider with a 40hp Mariner for 3 years on this lake. The some of the Natives that net run 14' - 16' aluminums with 15hp - 15hp and they cross the lake. :w00t:

Temagami is a little too far.

looking towards the Kawartha's now .... much closer to home and some of the people in may party aren't keen on driving 4+hrs.

Which is exactly why the Kawartha's are a zoo till after labour day. It a week long trip driving a little bit further gets you away from most of the azzclowns and better fishing to boot.

Steady decline?

I have worked on different sections of the French river for 8 years and the fishery is incredible! Take a look at the map and you will see there is much more water that just wolsley bay. Dry pine bay and the main channel (right under highway 69) has a ridiculous amount of water and endless new water to explore. I am bias as this is where I have worked the past 5 years for a fishing lodge and I get to spend about 80 days a season on this water. I would encourage anyone to try all species at most times of the year and you will be pleasantly suprised. From limits of walleye to jaw dropping Smallies I am not sure what this river doesn't offer. I mainly fish musky and use very basic tactics for walleye, pike, and bass and have very little issue keeping the bite going. The area has not been charted yet and the Dry Pine section is by far the easiest to navigate with very few spots to leave your lower unit. Take a moment to check out what our French River Resorts Association has to offer on all areas of the river and it will be worth spending a few days up here. Some of my top pics will include Sand Beach Lodge, Presquille Cottages, Dry Pine Camp, Cranes Lochhaven, Wolsley Lodge, Bears Den. The upper part has some incredible action as well with Chaudierre and West arm lodge. I can provide pics to back it all up too and have no problem answering basic questions with a pm.

Hope to see some of you up here this season.

Pigeon Lake has a lot of rental cottages available, but I wouldn't wait too long. Fished a week twice out of a place called Camp Fisherman ( http://www.campfisherman.com/ ) near Peterborough, excellent place.. boat launch, mooring and choice of cottages.

It was a number of years ago so I'm not sure of it's ratings now. But Pigeon and Buckhorn are right there and I caught the only two muskies I had caught in Pigeon. Pike, Bass and Walleye were abundant then too. There are just-beneath surface shoals there so I'd grab and check a hydrographic chart before planing off the beaten paths.

Steady decline?

I have worked on different sections of the French river for 8 years and the fishery is incredible! Take a look at the map and you will see there is much more water that just wolsley bay. Dry pine bay and the main channel (right under highway 69) has a ridiculous amount of water and endless new water to explore. I am bias as this is where I have worked the past 5 years for a fishing lodge and I get to spend about 80 days a season on this water. I would encourage anyone to try all species at most times of the year and you will be pleasantly suprised. From limits of walleye to jaw dropping Smallies I am not sure what this river doesn't offer. I mainly fish musky and use very basic tactics for walleye, pike, and bass and have very little issue keeping the bite going. The area has not been charted yet and the Dry Pine section is by far the easiest to navigate with very few spots to leave your lower unit. Take a moment to check out what our French River Resorts Association has to offer on all areas of the river and it will be worth spending a few days up here. Some of my top pics will include Sand Beach Lodge, Presquille Cottages, Dry Pine Camp, Cranes Lochhaven, Wolsley Lodge, Bears Den. The upper part has some incredible action as well with Chaudierre and West arm lodge. I can provide pics to back it all up too and have no problem answering basic questions with a pm.

Hope to see some of you up here this season.

Been fishing Dry Pine Bay since I was a little kid.. Great water and zero pressure. I doubt they'll be charting that water anytime soon :) I love that run out to the power lines and further! Even if the fish aren't flying into the boat, you cannot beat the scenery...