Lake Onaping with the Kids

express168

Well booked a rustic cabin and boat for a week in August for the family and the dog on Lake Onaping north of Sudbury. I was supposed to stay at this place back in 2007 but a day before we were leaving the lodge was evacuated due to the forest fire around Halfway Provincial Park so we had to scramble and go to another location. From what I have been able to read the best fishing is in the north end of the lake but the lake is 48 miles long and with a 10 and 7 year old on board I am not to interested in making a 2 hour boat run to the north end of the lake. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the south end of Onaping and would be willing to give some tips for the lower end. I am just looking to keep the kids occupied with fish whether it is walleye, bass, hammer handles,perch, whatever comes we will take. PM me if you aren't interested in posting, it is a big body of water and I am pretty sure there is plenty of fishing to be done in the south end. Nothing would make me happier than pulling fish off the kids hooks for the week. Thanks.

Hey express168!

MY son, two friends, and myself are headed up there in august, and staying at the south end as well. I've combed the

internet and found zilch about the lake other than what a couple of lodges posted. It truly is amazing how a lake that size has so

little writtten about it?!?! I have no problem finding forage- base data on-line for many of the other lakes of similar size, but Onaping "0"? I'm really starting to have doubts about where we picked to fish this year. ohmy.gif Let's face it,,, fisherpeople like to talk (brag)! And when you only find a handful of posts about a lake that enormous..... it's scary! I like challenges, but not being able to gather any decent prefish data has me doubting the chances of success. I'm thinking I should have researched the lake more before shelling out the deposit????? huh.gif D'OH!!! wallbash.gif

Oh well, what's done is done... smile.gif if I do come accross some

useable info... I'll be sure to pass it on to you!!

Good luck to you and the kids! I hope you get good weather, and have a great time!

Glenn

Edited by love2fish

Hey guys, Know a buddy about half way up the lake on one of the islands, spent a weekend there fishing and alot of beverages.. but if you go in any of the back bays toss a spoon and youl find some little hammer handle pike, and the odd bass, also if you have a depth finder look for any pockets between structure, i found about 18'FOW we were catching walleye. /

as far as trout etc i am no luck ! but best of luck to you and the kids!

Hey express168!

MY son, two friends, and myself are headed up there in august, and staying at the south end as well. I've combed the

internet and found zilch about the lake other than what a couple of lodges posted. It truly is amazing how a lake that size has so

little writtten about it?!?! I have no problem finding forage- base data on-line for many of the other lakes of similar size, but Onaping "0"? I'm really starting to have doubts about where we picked to fish this year. ohmy.gif Let's face it,,, fisherpeople like to talk (brag)! And when you only find a handful of posts about a lake that enormous..... it's scary! I like challenges, but not being able to gather any decent prefish data has me doubting the chances of success. I'm thinking I should have researched the lake more before shelling out the deposit????? huh.gif D'OH!!! wallbash.gif

Oh well, what's done is done... smile.gif if I do come accross some

useable info... I'll be sure to pass it on to you!!

Good luck to you and the kids! I hope you get good weather, and have a great time!

Glenn

It is interesting how little info there is on this lake online. I went into a local baitshop looking for a map or anything on Onaping and actually ran into a relative of the owner of Onaping Lodge, he mentioned a couple tips and locations to try that I will PM you. We are staying at Northwoods Lodge are you staying there or Onaping Lodge? Best of luck as well and it will be a good time on the water with the kids either way.Thanks for the help fish-meister.

Sounds good express168! Yeah, usually you'll hit a link to some forage studies done by the ministry that can be of help. Or links to a bunch of people conversing about how their trip went?! I sorta figured a lake with the amount of feeder creeks that this one has, and with the stocking to boot.... there must be some people fishing it?! I'm sure they are,,, but maybe they're a bit embarrassed? lol Oh well, catching or not... I'll be posting how we do! We'll be staying at Onaping Lodge. When you pm me let me know when you're there. If we happen to be on the lake when you're there, or we're there before you go. And IF... we get into anything, I'll give you locations and setups. Good luck, and hope you all have a great trip.

Thanks again Fish-Meiester!! smile.gif

Sounds good express168! Yeah, usually you'll hit a link to some forage studies done by the ministry that can be of help. Or links to a bunch of people conversing about how their trip went?! I sorta figured a lake with the amount of feeder creeks that this one has, and with the stocking to boot.... there must be some people fishing it?! I'm sure they are,,, but maybe they're a bit embarrassed? lol Oh well, catching or not... I'll be posting how we do! We'll be staying at Onaping Lodge. When you pm me let me know when you're there. If we happen to be on the lake when you're there, or we're there before you go. And IF... we get into anything, I'll give you locations and setups. Good luck, and hope you all have a great trip.

Thanks again Fish-Meiester!! smile.gif

We will be up there Aug. 11 to Aug. 18, PM sent and it should be a good time.