Princecraft vs Lund

cityfisher

I can't find a princecraft 164ws anywhere. Is that a type o?

A buddy of mine has a 164 princecraft. Great boat, but it fishes like a 14footer. Always seem cramped in his boat. Its a bit longer, and a bit wider than mine, but really tight for space IMO. He's got a 90 2 stroke and the boat doesn't run any faster than my 16ft tiller with a 40hp. He's just burning gas for nothing IMO.

I'm a tiller guy though. Ya can't beat a wide open boat!! I can fish 4 out of my boat no problem, lots of room, while his bigger boat with more power is tight with 3. Best suited to 2 once you throw all your gear/rods in it.

Just sayin....if your going with a 16 footer, i would stay away from a full windshield. I'm assuming it has one of course, because i can't find that model anywhere.

S.

Good topic. I've been searching as well. I'm looking for a 14' for the smaller lakes I fish. Tracker only has 3 keel strips & no splash rails, Lund has 5 keel strips & splash rails, Naden has 5 keel strips. Not too sure how many keel strips on the Princecraft or the Aluma craft, but I will find out. Keel strips give the boat more stability, & tracks straighter. Lund 14' new is $2600.00, Tracker is $2000.00. I am favouring Lund. If U feel U can guide me to a better boat please advise. Now how about motors. I was quoted for a 20 hp 4 stroke Yammy $4250.00, Honda $3500.00, Merc $3000.00. I can't believe a Yammy is $750.00 more than a Honda. Why is Merc so much cheaper? Thanx for your help.

I really love Naden utility boats. They have a unique hull design compared to any other small aluminum...the sides kind of flare out. Anyhow, they're incredibly seaworthy and you rarely get wet in one of them. On top of that they're indestructable.

Got a Princecraft 164 WS, with a 60 Merc on it. Nice boat, good ride on smoothe water but a rough ride on anything more than about a 1' chop. A little under powered for 4 adults, but an excellent package for fishing/taking the wife for a ride.

The walk through windshield with the optional raised platform for the forward casting deck is a nice option. Even with the 60 on it, I have to use a drift sock to slow myself down to trolling speed for walleye, the option would be to add a kicker but there isn't a lot of room on the transom to do that.

It is a very stable boat and two people can fish it very comfortably, three people comfortably, 4 people can fish it. I do love mine because it is perfect for what I want but that is the key, make sure that what ever package you select is the one that is going to accomodate 90% of your fishing needs. Getting a package that is over kill is just going to cost you money.

I really love Naden utility boats. They have a unique hull design compared to any other small aluminum...the sides kind of flare out. Anyhow, they're incredibly seaworthy and you rarely get wet in one of them. On top of that they're indestructable.

yup

at the fly-ins and drive-in fishing trips I have been on, when they have a Naden boat or two, they are always the most requested boat..so people request the other boats like crestliner or lund but when they see the naden in action they want to use one of them

we try to get one every time..just so much more stable and drier then any of the other boats

Thanks Roy, that is pretty much the newer version of my buddies boat. I find it tight for space for the size of boat. It does handle big water well, and its been tough so far. His is an early 2000 model, not sure exactly what year, with a 90 Evinrude on the back.

Its just really cramped compared to fishing in my boat. If we're fishing anything but lake O, we take mine just for the added space, and savings on fuel.

S.

Well since I just ordered a new Lund Alaskan this week, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I struggled with the decision I was bouncing between a 20' Polarcraft Outlander and a 18' Lund Alaskan.

The outlander is actually a really good deal. You can get into a 20' Outlander with a 90 yammie for the same price as the 18' Alaskan with a 75 yammie.

I would have jumped at it but I felt it was to much boat for my needs.

I need a boat I can hunt & fish with I did pay the lund premium but the Alaskan was a much better match for my application.

I looked at all manufactures of aluminum boats for 1.5 yrs and tried to pick the one with the most check marks on my list.

All major manufactures make good boats and all make lemons at some point! Decide on a price and make a list of features you want and go through each manufacture, check the items in your list off.

And pick the one that matches the best.

PS. I loved that new princecraft tiller if it only came in camo!

Edited by RangerGuy

• 2 years later...

I've have a Tracker 17'5 ft fish/ski combo for 3 years now. 115 Opti. Not one issue at all. Gets up on the water in a flash, and handles the big waves of Lake O without a problem. I know they have a bad rep. and i took that into account when i was looking. I know the nickname "cracker" because of the welded seams cracking, but they have solved that issue. 24k out the door and I'm glad I made that choice.

Edited by dracokaos

I personally dont think lunds are as good as they used to be. They have a great ride, but fit/finish is lacking in the last few years IMO.

Id be looking hard at the starcrafts and alumacrafts if I was in the market for a new aluminum fishing boat.

S.

GRUMMAN...... smile.gif

Only kidding......don't even know what they make any more.....but I always wanted a Lund....but never wanted to pay for one....of course the newer Lunds don't turn me on like the ones they made 20 years ago.

Kickingfrog gave you good advice....go with the outboard you want most as many of these are now packaged together.

Happy Boat Shopping,

Bob

LUND, as good as they might be has become like Apple. Everybody wants one even though there are other devices as good or better out there. Branding is king I guess. Good luck whatever you choose.

Think Lund still has a great line-up. The Pro Guide catches my eye of late, Pro-V always as well. Other boat companies are surely making some great rides too, and most here would agree that PrinceCraft and AlumaCraft are two of the top options to Lund. I'd look at all three of these rides first if picking a new boat... now or even two years ago. So far in it's first 4-years my Lund has served really well, the Yamaha motor just as much. Shopping again down the road and sticking with what's already known, correcting any little things I didn't like should be easily negotiable.

The op mentioned getting a kicker motor. I don't really see the need for one anymore seeing as you could use your 24 or 36v electric which will last a long time and can really move you along when fully charged and your more stealth. The thousands you spend on a kicker could be spent on one with i-pilot or the like.

How many still go to the kicker when they have the option of electric? I guess it would still be viable when down rigging...

Sorry for going a little astray!

I have owned my Lund Tyee for 10 yrs now and it has taken a beating in the northern lakes but still keeps on going and has always gotten me home safely in really bad weather. No leaks and runs like a charm ans smooth as glass on the water. I will stack any boat against a Lund and the Lund will always come out on top.

The op mentioned getting a kicker motor. I don't really see the need for one anymore seeing as you could use your 24 or 36v electric which will last a long time and can really move you along when fully charged and your more stealth. The thousands you spend on a kicker could be spent on one with i-pilot or the like.

How many still go to the kicker when they have the option of electric? I guess it would still be viable when down rigging...

Sorry but I disagrree. If your main motor fails ( Happened to me, fire onboard) the troll motor will only get you so far, especially if you are trying to get back home against the wind. Nowadays my kicker is with me 100% of the time for safety. No matter how new your motor is or how good you feel about the reliability, the kicker will always save your behind.

Edited by Squid

Check out the Motors. The Yahama's are getting 4X the hours til rebuild. The new Mercs are getting 650 to 800 hrs and the Yahama's are getting 3000 hrs.

Would this be all Yamaha motors? 2hp to 300hp? Two stroke and four stroke? Regardless of whether you troll 8 hours a day or red line it spot to spot?

Blanket statements like this don't help anyone looking to buy something.

New buyers should talk to people that fish the way they will and preferably run a similar boat with the motor size you're in the market for. Then go to the local dealer and talk to them about sales and service.

If you troll, you want a kicker... Trying to troll with a Minn Kota would be hilarious, especially with a bigger boat. I use my Yamah T8 High Thrust for everything, even pulling harnesses at 1mph. Works great.

I troll with my electric A LOT, but a kicker is the way to go for any big water trolling.

Pulling harnesses can't be beat with the electric though. Its way easier to control the boat from the bow than from the stern.

S.

I troll with my electric A LOT, but a kicker is the way to go for any big water trolling.

Pulling harnesses can't be beat with the electric though. Its way easier to control the boat from the bow than from the stern.

S.

I usually have my electric down for steering purposes... Set the kicker and control everything with the I-Pilot.