Princecraft vs Lund

cityfisher

Hey all,

Its time for a new boat:)

Had our trusty sea ray bowrider 1810 for 7 years. Has a 135 merc i/0. No problems in 7 years! . I know impresive!

Anyways, we are now looking at more of a fish/ski boat from either Lund or Princecraft. Both appear to have the top reviews from the alluminum boat market. We are looking at their 16-17ft models with full wrap around class. Paired up with a 90/115 4stroke merc.

Any recommendations/Thoughts between the two boat makers?

Both are good boats, and have their strengths, depending on what you want to do and what you want to spend.

Since there are so many compromises in every boat, I'm a big proponent of first establishing your budget then buying the best that you can afford. If you decide first how much you want to spend, and then get the most you can for that amount of money, you can't really be unhappy, 'cause anything better would cost more than you wanted to spend.

Have you definitely narrowed down your search to limit it to one of those two? I ask this because there are other better boats and other lesser boats available, all dependant on your budget.

i was planning on buying either a lund or princecraft this year and after recieving quotes from many marinas for both companies i settled with a princecraft. the price was much better, canadian made, nicer looking boat for the style i wanted, more features and quicker delivery date.

i know princecraft has the sport which is a fish/ski model and it looked pretty good at the boat show. i went with the princecraft xpedition 170 sc as i was looking for a full on fishing boat and didnt care for the ski part. paired it up with a 115 merc 4 stroke and a 9.9 pro kicker.

i get it in a week or so. i cant wait

Sorry but if it was my money unless I was getting dealer cost (or an offer I couldnt refuse) it would be neither.If you want good build quality Alumacraft all the way. Yes lunds are pretty well made too but not worth the $$$ and Princecraft which I used to sell,well beauty is only skin deep:).

GRUMMAN...... :)

Only kidding......don't even know what they make any more.....but I always wanted a Lund....but never wanted to pay for one....of course the newer Lunds don't turn me on like the ones they made 20 years ago.

Kickingfrog gave you good advice....go with the outboard you want most as many of these are now packaged together.

Happy Boat Shopping,

Bob

I'd really keep dealership/service in mind. Both are good boats. I own a Princecraft because I have a camp in Eastern Ontario which tends to have a good Princecraft dealer nearby. I've had the boat 5 years and no problems. I think they could have done a much better job on storage in this model. It's a Starfish DLX.

Dan O.

Just left a dealer in richmond hill.... Think i might go with the Princecraft 164ws with a 90 4 stroke( max hp for this boat)

Loved the 174ws BUT it wont fit in my garage and is 3500 more....(includes the same 90 or upgrade to the 115)

Good feedback guys!

I own lund boat, but I think Princecraft quality is even better.

Lund is top of line, no doubt about it. It has better re-sale market.

Definatly agree with that but used princecraft also hold a high resale from what ive seen online.

LUND has a lot of people that will ONLY buy a lund and if priced right sells quickly in ontario.

I think you should listen to Hirk - he obviously has some inside info.

Lunds are too pricey IMO, but their beauty is not skin deep and they hold their value better than any other aluminum boat.

The Alumacrafts have a great rep and some nice layouts - they look like a good choice/

I own a Crestliner and love it.

Bay City Marine has some Alumacrafts with 4 stroke yammmies - they are very nice.

Landry

Not that many boats are really bad nowadays. I run a Princecraft and I like it. In my case, there are no Lund dealers in my area. In fact, the closest boat dealer to me is the largest Princecraft dealer there is, so my choice was also based on after sales service. Princecraft has very good resale value. If you have a reputable dealer of any brand and layout you like, within a reasonable distance, run with it.

Check out the Motors. The Yahama's are getting 4X the hours til rebuild. The new Mercs are getting 650 to 800 hrs and the Yahama's are getting 3000 hrs. You do the math. If you can afford the upgrade and it is an upgrade for a reason.

I own an Alumacraft Trophy 17' and I love my boat. It is getting a little old now so I will be in the market for a new Boat in the next year @ the most and it will come down to Motor and fishability.

I have friends with every dif type of boat you can imagine and they all love their own boats (except my wife's uncle's Legend) he is not so happy LOL.

Good luck and happy Boat Hunting

Good topic. I've been searching as well. I'm looking for a 14' for the smaller lakes I fish. Tracker only has 3 keel strips & no splash rails, Lund has 5 keel strips & splash rails, Naden has 5 keel strips. Not too sure how many keel strips on the Princecraft or the Aluma craft, but I will find out. Keel strips give the boat more stability, & tracks straighter. Lund 14' new is $2600.00, Tracker is $2000.00. I am favouring Lund. If U feel U can guide me to a better boat please advise. Now how about motors. I was quoted for a 20 hp 4 stroke Yammy $4250.00, Honda $3500.00, Merc $3000.00. I can't believe a Yammy is $750.00 more than a Honda. Why is Merc so much cheaper? Thanx for your help.

When I bought my Lund Tyee 17.5 in 2007, was open to Lund and Princecraft. Would have preferred to buy Canadian. But after sitting in the driver seat, and putting my right arm on the gunnel, the Lund felt more comfortable in many respects. I had them put a Yammy on. Cost $1K extra. Ask me in 10 yrs. I think the Yammy will turn out to be a good move. So far the combo has been excellent.

peter