Battery charger opinion

Crappy tire has a charger on sale this weeks flyer....I have a single deep cycle battery used to crank my 20hp Yamaha and run a 30lbs thrust troll motor in my 16 alum.

will this charger be alright to recharge and maintain my bat. while boats in driveway?

charger

Looking for something so i don't have to lug battery in garage every time i come home to hook to my car charger.

This looks like a 'knock off' of the CTEK charger http://www.canadiant...r.jsp?locale=en

The CTEK is an awesome charger and they do go on sale @ CT throughout the year. If you're not in a hurry, you may want to wait for the next 40/50 % off deal. I'm not a big fan of 'MotoMaster' products anymore. They aint what they used to be dunno.gifdunno.gif

My nickels (since pennies are soon to be extinct) worth.

Edited by pikeslayer

This looks like a 'knock off' of the CTEK charger http://www.canadiant...r.jsp?locale=en

The CTEK is an awesome charger and they do go on sale @ CT throughout the year. If you're not in a hurry, you may want to wait for the next 40/50 % off deal. I'm not a big fan of 'MotoMaster' products anymore. They aint what they used to be dunno.gifdunno.gif

My nickels (since pennies are soon to be extinct) worth.

I agree, I would wait for the CTEK to go on sale. CTEK also carries a 5yr warranty vs the 3yr according to the CT site.

I wouldn't be running my trolling motor off the starter battery. Your starter battery is the only thing you have left to get you home.

And if you must buy your charger from Canadian Tire and you must use only one battery, throw an extra $20 in the pot and get yourself this unit and just bring it out to the boat when you get home. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryChargers/PRDOVR~0111567P/MotoMaster+Automatic+10%2B2A+Battery+Charger.jsp?locale=en

What size is the deep cycle battery you'll be charging?

Its capacity, in ampere-hours, will in part determine how to size the charger. My guess is that the CTC one you linked to might be too small. And as stated here already, it might not be the quality you hope for.

I'd want to see the literature for the charger. What CTC has posted in the ad is contradictory:

"- Built-in intelligent microprocessor makes charging faster, easier and safer

- 4A medium charge for charging large batteries or 2A trickle charge for charging small batteries and maintaining car and truck batteries"

These two statements don't go together. A true Smart charger varies voltage by cell type and varies current as the battery state of charge comes up. Trickle-charging a battery at a fixed 2A guarantees a shorter life.

If you look at the one Pike Slayer suggested, it tells you it uses a 4-stage charge and that it will provide adequate charge for deep cycles ranging from 1.2Ah to 120Ah. Much better choice...

Edited by whiskywizard

I wouldn't recommend that charger for deep cycles at all.

If you want your batteries to last, a good charger is key. Get a good charger, its worth it in the long run. I use the nautilus deep cycle smart charger. Has been working great for 5 or 5 years now, trouble free. I still have to pull batteries out every time I charge, but I don't mind that.

S.

I bought a Ctek when they were on sale.I also have a crapie tire deep cycle charger.My battery was left on and drained completely over 2 month period.I tried charging it with the deep cycle charger but could not get a full charge after 2 days.I heard about the Ctek and that week it came on sale.Within 2 hrs the battery was fully charged.I am still using the deep cycle battery after 2 years of fishing.

I bought a Ctek when they were on sale.I also have a crapie tire deep cycle charger.My battery was left on and drained completely over 2 month period.I tried charging it with the deep cycle charger but could not get a full charge after 2 days.I heard about the Ctek and that week it came on sale.Within 2 hrs the battery was fully charged.I am still using the deep cycle battery after 2 years of fishing.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: Buddy there's not a physical hope in hell that a 3 amp CTEK charger can fully charge a deep cycle battery from completely drained in 2 hours. Maybe if it's a deep cycle for Mickey Mouses boat.

Maybe if it was 95% charged.

Edited by Fisherman

Glad I asked....now i got alot more to digest.

and yes i run trolling motor off cranking battery...worst case i'd have to pull the cord to start her.

Great price and warranty. As long as your not in a hurry it will do the job. The most important thing these days is that the charger is logic controlled to prevent overcharging. Nothing wrong with using a deep cycle to start a twenty-horse as well as using it for lights, trolling motor and other equip. Your enging may even produce 5 amps and charge the battery on it's own. Usually recent engines over 9.9 have a battery charging circuit.

• 5 months later...

The battery charger should be matched to the size of the battery, measured in ampere hour capacity. A general rule of thumb is to size the charger capacity at 25 percent of the total amp. hour capacity of the battery (s). Choose a micro processor controlled unit that will provide all 4 charging modes, bulk, absorption, float and equalization. You want to be able to plug it in and forget it, the charger will neither undercharge or over charge the batteries.

The small maintenance chargers are not intended for completely recharging large batteries that have been deeply discharged, they are really intended for automobiles that sit for long periods of time. The idea is that after the car has been driven the battery should be at or near full charge, the small charger will take care of the battery self discharge and any key off electrical loads in the car. The simple battery chargers are also suitable, only they need to be monitored. They typically have an ammeter on them, and once the ammeter stops dropping charging should be discontinued. They can also be used to maintain a battery while not being used, but again only periodically and they must be monitored. Almost all chargers now have settings for flooded or gel cells.

If using a manual or simple battery charger, connect a volt meter to the battery terminals and monitor the voltage.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: Buddy there's not a physical hope in hell that a 3 amp CTEK charger can fully charge a deep cycle battery from completely drained in 2 hours. Maybe if it's a deep cycle for Mickey Mouses boat.

Maybe if it was 95% charged.

Agreed.

The CTEK has revived a couple batteries for me but it took closer to 12-14 hours to do so.

I use the CTEK in the garage for tending to the batteries over the winter and I use a Minn Kota 3 bank 5 amp charger for my trolling motor. My starting battery never sees a charger throughout the summer.

Funny this popped up just to let you know i did get one of the CTEK chargers at crappy on sale 40-50% and have never looked back. fastened it to a battery box and plug it in after each outing and its ready to rock next time.

A great lil unit so far!

Thanks for the follow-up. I didn't realize this was an old thread lol.

I can't think of a better charger to get you from week to week for a single battery. It's not a quick charger nor is it good for multi battery setups but when you have time to charge a single battery, it can't be beat.

Crappy tire has a charger on sale this weeks flyer....I have a single deep cycle battery used to crank my 20hp Yamaha and run a 30lbs thrust troll motor in my 16 alum.

will this charger be alright to recharge and maintain my bat. while boats in driveway?

charger

Looking for something so i don't have to lug battery in garage every time i come home to hook to my car charger.

First of all....I doubt very much that you have a real deep cycle battery. If you did, you would not use it as a starting battery. What you probably have is a "nautical battery" which is in reality a hybrid between a deep cycle and a starting battery. I used those sold by CT for many years but they did not last very long. Maximum of 3 years. Just enough for the garantee to run out.

Normally, a deep cycle battery has caps on the cells that open and allow you to add liquid to each cell.

Secondly.....Canadian Tire does not sell battery chargers for deep cycle batteries. Well....not the ones we normally see on sale. Those small CTEK chargers....I do not trust. The battery charger that is on sale is not a deep cycle charger.

But since you seem to have a nautical battery (hybrid), I guess the battery charger will work.

I tried a couple before somebody with a lot of experience who worked at one of the Canadian Tire stores told me that Motormaster does not sell chargers for deep cycle batteries. If you read the instruction manual for the Motormaster charger, you will even read that it is not recommended for deep cycle batteries.

2 years ago, I almost ruined a deep cycle battery with my Motormaster charger. I spent some time looking for more info.

Anyway, for the past 2 years, I have been using a Schumacher battery charger sold at Walmart's. There are 3 or 4 different models (depending on charge rate) and they do say that they charge deep cycle batteries. I got the 15 amp size charger. So far, I have been impressed and they cost about the same as a Motormaster.

From what I have gathered here over the years, opinions constantly change on the best way to charge a battery. I have an Interstate warehouse near my house, and I asked the question to one of the employees who has worked with batteries for over 20 years. He advised me that the CTEK is the best battery charger you could use to charge a deep cycle. I have had my Interstate deep cycle now for 4-5 years and only run one battery for motor, trolling motor and fish finder and the battery has held up fine. I have not had to add any distilled water, it does not lose its charge over the winter and I do take the time to charge it promptly after every use.