Ostrom Packs

brkygetr

My link

Anyone have any experience with these packs? Buying a new tripping pack that will last me till I can not do it anymore...

This is where I have got to...

I've always wanted one but could never justify the price. They are without a doubt the cadilac of canoe packs. The internal frame on these packs is amazing, it's the most comfortable canoe pack I've ever carried (a buddy has had one for years).

I have two 110L Woods canoe packs with removable waterproof liners that I've had for almost 20 years.

They've been with me on numerous lengthy expeditions over the years and are still going strong. Way back when I paid about $100 each for them.

Most canoe packs are pretty durable. They are a very simple design after all.

Not sure if you need to spend that much, but if you have the dough you won't be sorry.

Yep, got a custom canoe pack for SWMBO. First one was 'lost' by UPS, second one as well. Needed one for a trip so he sent one down till he had ANOTHER one sewn up which he then brought down for us at a canoe show. Best pack imo. We had custom colours done so if we ever see the twins, we'll know they were fingered by someone in the chain of delivery.

If you get one, consider asking for side pockets as an option, if he still does this.

Cookes and Granite Gear are good but Ostrom gets my nod.

I'd been using a Black Feather canoe pack (Trailhead) and it had a couple of nice features that we wanted on the Ostrom. Basically a couple of extra external pockets that makes life a bit easier ;) Also wanted something other than the trad pack colours.

Often times I'll use a North Face expedition pack myself when carrying the canoe. Used to tump my packs but that got old fast unless I needed to haul loads.

Edited by woodenboater

I've always wanted one but could never justify the price. They are without a doubt the cadilac of canoe packs. The internal frame on these packs is amazing, it's the most comfortable canoe pack I've ever carried (a buddy has had one for years).

I have two 110L Woods canoe packs with removable waterproof liners that I've had for almost 20 years.

They've been with me on numerous lengthy expeditions over the years and are still going strong. Way back when I paid about $100 each for them.

Most canoe packs are pretty durable. They are a very simple design after all.

Not sure if you need to spend that much, but if you have the dough you won't be sorry.

I was considering buying a Eureka 110L. I got to researching and found the these. By no means am I a serious tripper BUT I hate buying something that I will have to buy again in 5 years because it broke. I was also considering a Frost River or Duluth pack but I am not convinced they have an advantage. Besides these are MADE IN CANADA!

Yes, Bill and Annie make excellent packs. I have never had the need to get one done custom.

tjsa...

Your thoughts compared to FR and Duluth?

I'm not tjsa nor do I stay at Holiday Inn Express but Frost River and Duluth are fundamentally different in how they're meant to be carried.

While Ostroms can be used with a tump, they're really meant to be used with the shoulder straps and waist belt in conjunction with the internal frame set up. Frost and Duluth are imo, not going to be the most comfortable with heavy loads unless you use a tump as the main weight bearing point. You can carry a ridiculous amount of weight with a tump but some people just can't used to them. I use tumplines if I need to haul a couple of heavy packs over the carry.

All will last a loong time and canvas and leather will get better with age, esp the leather shoulder straps.

I believe the enduring popularity of the canvas packs is due in part to the tradition of their use in the BWCA/ Quetico PP. That and the fact that they just look so damn nice.

My money would be spent on Ostroms, try and catch him at a canoe show to try them out and have a chat with them.

I'm not tjsa nor do I stay at Holiday Inn Express but Frost River and Duluth are fundamentally different in how they're meant to be carried.

While Ostroms can be used with a tump, they're really meant to be used with the shoulder straps and waist belt in conjunction with the internal frame set up. Frost and Duluth are imo, not going to be the most comfortable with heavy loads unless you use a tump as the main weight bearing point. You can carry a ridiculous amount of weight with a tump but some people just can't used to them. I use tumplines if I need to haul a couple of heavy packs over the carry.

All will last a loong time and canvas and leather will get better with age, esp the leather shoulder straps.

I believe the enduring popularity of the canvas packs is due in part to the tradition of their use in the BWCA/ Quetico PP. That and the fact that they just look so damn nice.

My money would be spent on Ostroms, try and catch him at a canoe show to try them out and have a chat with them.

Thats my main stumbling point.."but Frost River and Duluth are fundamentally different in how they're meant to be carried."

I want a pack that I can carry on my back not with my head. I stand just under 6 ft and 165lbs..the adjustment features and orderable sizes of Ostrom seem to make sense. I can carry a 100 lb pack slow and easy but last year when I went into the park I borrowed a buddies pack and said 'never again!'. I made it it but it hurt. I want something comfy. I think they are getting a phone call. As long as I get it in 25 days all is going to be good!

Actually, once you get used to the tumpline, it's quite a decent way to carry heavy loads. By pulling on the tumpline , you can take some pressure off your forehead every now and then if needed. Once does tend to march along a bit bent over however ;)

Happy trails, you're going to like your Ostrom !

I've had the Eureka and the Sealine - both are ok, but not as durable. The Eureka is a thinner material and got chewed up on rocks pretty easily. They replaced it no problem but I never have used it again - its sitting in the basement with the tags one it. The Sealine I picked up also from Canadian Outback when they shut down and its gotten a bit of use - seems more sturdy than the Eureka. Around that time we started doing longer, more remote trips and also cut our gear back considerably. We now only use the Ostrom and a barrel and harness. Food, stove, water treatment etc goes in the barrel, and clothes, sleeping bags (in dry packs) and the exped sleeping pads go in the Ostrom pack. I carry the Ostrom and the canoe, and my girlfriend carries the barrel. Fishing rods, lifejackets and paddles get strapped into the canoe thwarts with mini bunji cords, and using this setup we can do any portage in one trip without having to go back for anything.