Hwy. 11 Crash. 4 million dollars on road

Nipfisher

Story

moneytruck.jpg

Yep, that is all Toonies and Loonies on the road and shoulder.

A crash of a Brink's tractor-trailer in northeastern Ontario this morning

seriously injured the two occupants, and scattered millions of dollars in

Canadian coins on the highway and in the nearby bush.

The crash happened on Highway 11, south of Ramore, north of Kirkland Lake, when the tractor-trailer collided with a rock cut in Benoit Township around 4 a.m.

It also caused a series of chain-reaction collisions that involved a minivan and two other tractor-trailer units.

Ontario Provincial Police closed the highway from Matheson to Kenogami, and said it would remain that way for several hours.

One occupant of the Brink's vehicle was taken to Bingham Memorial Hospital in Matheson and the other was taken to a Kirkland Lake hospital.

Both men remain in hospital with life-threatening injuries.

South Porcupine OPP described the "debris field," made up of millions of dollars in Canadian coins, as "massive." The load consisted of loonies and toonies, but the exact value of the money strewn in the area of the crash wasn't immediately known.

The driver of the minivan was uninjured, but the drivers of the other tractor-trailer units sustained minor injuries. They have since been released from the hospital.

Magnetic cranes to be brought in

OPP officer Mark Andrews said Brink's is looking at bringing in a magnetic crane from a nearby scrap yard to pick up the millions in coins. They may use front-end loaders to scoop up dirt, which will be sifted through at another location later.

Andrews also said off-duty OPP officers have been hired to help Brink's staff ward off any potential coin scavenging in the area.

One of the tractor-trailer units was reportedly carrying candy, which was also strewn across the crash site.

Const. Marc Depatie from South Porcupine OPP said visibility could have been a factor in the collision.

"This is the first occurrence that I'm aware of where a collision has occurred where the actual load [of Canadian currency] has been compromised," he said.

Police said Highway 101 remains open to east-west traffic.

Police recommend southbound or cross-country traffic use Highway 655 to Timmins, and then continue south to Sudbury on Highway 144. The opposite route is recommended for northbound traffic or westbound, cross-country traffic.

Edited by Nipfisher

Obviously hopefully everyone recovers...but seriously who hasn't thought of a scenario similar to this...

But damn twonies?

Lets just say you drove by and noone was hurt and noone was around and you scooped up say 20k worth of toonies. What the heck would you do with them? You couldn't bank it duh. I guess you could spend it at the dollar store toonie at a time.

Crazy times I tell yah. I mean the sheer logistics of trying to spend 4 million dollars in toonies that you couldn't put in the bank. Its insane.Even if you safely spent 10 dollars a day in toonies. thats 1095 years to spend it all. This is crazy. Damn. I mean clearly noone wold take money from an accident, but if you actually sit and think about it. Its just boggling my mind. Imagine being a millionaire and having to live off of toonies. ROFL

Edited by jedimaster

Obviously hopefully everyone recovers...but seriously who hasn't thought of a scenario similar to this...

But damn twonies?

Lets just say you drove by and noone was hurt and noone was around and you scooped up say 20k worth of toonies. What the heck would you do with them? You couldn't bank it duh. I guess you could spend it at the dollar store toonie at a time.

Crazy times I tell yah. I mean the sheer logistics of trying to spend 4 million dollars in toonies that you couldn't put in the bank. Its insane.Even if you safely spent 10 dollars a day in toonies. thats 1095 years to spend it all. This is crazy. Damn. I mean clearly noone wold take money from an accident, but if you actually sit and think about it. Its just boggling my mind. Imagine being a millionaire and having to live off of toonies. ROFL

A few years ago a truck full of loonies and toonies was stolen in TO @ 2 mill worth if I recall its never turned up Im sure they found some way to spend it.

So lets say you have your 1500 and you can put in what 2k pounds in the bed? Maybe stretch it out to 2500 pounds....

So lets see here a toonie weigh 7.2 grams,

2500 pound converted to grams 1133980 grams, divided by 7.2 grams, thats 157497 toonies Thats 6300 rolls of toonies

Over 20 years.... 315 per year. So less than a roll per day....

Ok I think a pickup truck full of toonies would be ok.

hmm so at 7.99per pack plus tac for senko's that 34921 packs of senkos.

Edited by jedimaster