Worm Breeding Bin Setup

bassjnkie

I use alot of worms throughout the season and the $$$ is adding up. I have the property to put in an in ground earth worm bin. The only info on the web talks about compost worms and doesn't say if the set up is suitable for for other types of worm. I would like to use the Rubbermaid bins to start off.

So if some one has made one of these breeding box, please let me know how, if it worked for you and if it's worth it?

Thanks.

Daniel

A Compost set up should work just fine. Just make sure you put some holes in the bottom of the rubbermaid container and then mesh them over.. The moisture levels in with the soil can't be too high. The composting process will cause heat to build up in the bin if covered to tightly. You'll end up with a worm and dirt casarole If it's not ventalated properly.

I used to just go out at nite to baseball fields and pick them. I could easily have 200-300 of them in a few hours. Just cover a flash light with red foil and pick em! Then all you have to do is store them. Don't breed them.

So 2 post that mentioned the same thing. I will put in a mesh bottom. Do I have to put a vent on the top? I mention breeding box, that's what they call them online. I can get alot of worms where I am and need a storage box outside of the house. I can dig a spot for the box, which will be out of the way. Thanks.

I got the idea of making a few bucks this coming summer by trapping minnows and selling them to bait shops, do I need some sort of licence to do that? What about worms?

No license needed for worms, I fed my reptiles from homegrown worms (superworms) when they were around.

Not sure about minnows tho.

I got the idea of making a few bucks this coming summer by trapping minnows and selling them to bait shops, do I need some sort of licence to do that? What about worms?

yes, you need a baitfish harvesters license to sell minnows.

As long as what you intend to use for the worms will drain when it rains, they will live in any type of container you have. The key is keeping it deep enough that they can stay cool. I've tried it, and honestly, its easier to just go catch some worms on the rainy nights, and keep them in a pail in the spare fridge. They live forever in there.

S.

So 2 post that mentioned the same thing. I will put in a mesh bottom. Do I have to put a vent on the top? I mention breeding box, that's what they call them online. I can get alot of worms where I am and need a storage box outside of the house. I can dig a spot for the box, which will be out of the way. Thanks.

if its just for storage....

a friend of mine made a box from a rubbermaid bin... he cut some holes and lined it with screen...youll want hole in the lid as well for oxygen...

then he dug a hole almost as deep as the container... so about 2-3 inches were still above the ground...

put the bin in the hole and pack soil around it... buy proper worm bedding and worm food from walmart or canadian tire and mix it up... but dont fill the container or theyll find a way out..

make sure you make this worm hotel in a cool shaded area...

youll be able to keep a load of worms in this set up... and they will live a long time if you keep feeding em the worm food...

When I made the two different ones I had both times I just took 2X10's and cut them to the size I wanted for my box screened the bottom and put a plywood lid with a small latch to keep critters out. Dug a hole to fit the box in set it in place added dirt and worm bedding used coffee grinds and worm food for keeping them alive it worked out great make sure the box is in a shaded area I had one under a deck and the other behind a shed both were fine.

yes, you need a baitfish harvesters license to sell minnows.

As long as what you intend to use for the worms will drain when it rains, they will live in any type of container you have. The key is keeping it deep enough that they can stay cool. I've tried it, and honestly, its easier to just go catch some worms on the rainy nights, and keep them in a pail in the spare fridge. They live forever in there.

S.

if its just for storage....

a friend of mine made a box from a rubbermaid bin... he cut some holes and lined it with screen...youll want hole in the lid as well for oxygen...

then he dug a hole almost as deep as the container... so about 2-3 inches were still above the ground...

put the bin in the hole and pack soil around it... buy proper worm bedding and worm food from walmart or canadian tire and mix it up... but dont fill the container or theyll find a way out..

make sure you make this worm hotel in a cool shaded area...

youll be able to keep a load of worms in this set up... and they will live a long time if you keep feeding em the worm food...

When I made the two different ones I had both times I just took 2X10's and cut them to the size I wanted for my box screened the bottom and put a plywood lid with a small latch to keep critters out. Dug a hole to fit the box in set it in place added dirt and worm bedding used coffee grinds and worm food for keeping them alive it worked out great make sure the box is in a shaded area I had one under a deck and the other behind a shed both were fine.

Thanks for all the great tips. Theres woods in the back of my property with lots of shade. I know the perfect spot. I have some work to do tomorrow making the box and finding some worms. Now I have a use for all the coffee grounds. thanks again.

What does it take to get a bait harvesters licence? Worms are still fine without a licence thought right?

It will be expensive to get a bait harvesters license,you will need an area or territory to harvest have to get the area from the natural resources,you also have to pay for the areas. Most of them are already taken.You will have to take some coarses also,ministry will have to inspect your setup.Money Money Money before you even get started.