Fishing At Nite

FishHeadRic

Since moving here to New York a few years back I've had to (re)learn fishing from the surf. It was a far cry from going after the Pike, Bass and Steelies around the GTA. I almost strictly fish the salt now. Here on Long Island we have several species avalable to us that feed at nite. Bluefish, Weakfish, Stripers, Fluke, Squid... Striped bass being my prey of choice I find most of my designated fishing time concentrated around the nite tides. They're more sensitive to the lite but will come right into the shallows to feed.

I know when I lived up in Toronto the only fish I ever really targeted at nite was Salmon and walleye. The other day I was going thru some posts here and came across a pic of Lew with a Muskie, at nite. I know the muskies and walleye feed at nite but for those that are getting out there and fishing at nite are your approaches different then in the day time? Do you fish for specific fish strictly at nite. Are you using bigger baits, different patterns, darker colors, louder baits. Depts and Retrieve speeds? Does your equipment get changed up? And does all of this change with differing phases of the moon? I know these are all factors when targeting stripers down here but how much do the sharpies up there factor in to their approach?

FHR

I like fishing at night.

In terms of muskie, a great spot is a great spot no matter the time of year or day. I may fish that spot a little slower and be more apt to throw my lure on to shallower sections of that spot but I don't look for different places to fish day vs night. When it comes to lures, I do use topwater baits a lot more at night but I will not use Walk the Dog style baits, they miss them often enough in the day time. Whether on the surface or below I prefer baits that come in straight over very erratic retrieves & that make noise/move water a lot of water so the fish can hone in on them ie. big blades on spinnerbaits/bootails, prop style surface baits, or a believer crawled slowly on the surface. Colour, there is only one at night, black.

In some ways it's 'simpler' fishing - lures, technique, you're limited by what you can see so you have to rely on your other senses. A big part is having your boat well organized before it gets dark, put everything you don't need away to avoid accidents & clutter and have all your tools ready.

Hey Raf!

Do you find that the muskies will move up into the shallower waters at nite. Do their holding patterns change at all. Or do you think the dark allows them to roam more freely?

Ric

Edited by FishHeadRic

Musky

straight retrieve baits...

noise and vibration to help them zero in on your bait...

retrieve the baits at a steady pace...and slower then you would during the day...

some fish will move shallower...and some will rise in the water column... so fish high up...

Walleye

on structure like rock they move really shallow at night....

on weedbeds... i find i catch em the exact same way as during the day... just different colors...

as for technique... same speed....depth...lure... for me... but i change to bright colors at dark..

EDIT

Carp... will move into shallow CLEAR water bays at night that they avoid during the day....

Edited by Musky Mike

Not really Ric, they *may* move onto a shallower section/higher up in the water column of the same structure where you'd find them in the day but I don't believe they will move or seek out shallower water that is in an area they would not otherwise frequent.

Edited by Raf

Do you guy think the moon effects the feeding pattens of Muskies at all?

FHR

It does, and you will see a lot of guys book their holidays around moon phases (new/full). However, it takes a back seat to environmental conditions (ie. the weather) in my opinion.

It does, and you will see a lot of guys book their holidays around moon phases (new/full). However, it takes a back seat to environmental conditions (ie. the weather) in my opinion.

X2

as for changing colors on a clear night with a bright moon as apposed to a darker cloudy night...

not really... still using the same colors and baits... in both conditions...

The other day I was going thru some posts here and came across a pic of Lew with a Muskie, at nite. I know the muskies and walleye feed at nite but for those that are getting out there and fishing at nite are your approaches different then in the day time?

One tactic we change for night time muskies Ric is fishing very shallow for them, infact sometimes in as little a 1-2 FOW.

As I mentioned in the other thread alot of our old time spots are no longer available because of the weed growth but anywhere you can find shallow water with a sand bottom with some weeds mixed in you have a good shot at them. If there's deep water close by it's even better.

Like Mike & Raf both said, a slow steady retrieve works best.

Interestingly, we also get alot of nice incidental bass on large musky sized baits late at night, both large & smallmouth depending on the location.

I no longer take pictures of bass but here's a couple old ones that show that their also feeding and aggressive after dark for any bass guys that may be wondering and might want to try them at night.

Cnv2181.jpg

sun017.jpg

So Muskies do roam a little after dark. So do you strictly cast at nite then Lew? Or is Trolling Baits still effective for them? Also what's your view with regards to weather paterns. Down here cold fronts shut down fishing but with one approaching it's usually really good right up until. Do you change paterns or your approach if the the winds have been blowing all day as well?

Ric

Edited by FishHeadRic

One tactic we change for night time muskies Ric is fishing very shallow for them, infact sometimes in as little a 1-2 FOW.

I no longer take pictures of bass but here's a couple old ones that show that their also feeding and aggressive after dark for any bass guys that may be wondering and might want to try them at night.

I've caught many river bass in less than 2 fow at night... they would come right up the rocks and you could here them splashing. They'd hit anything. Great fun!

I often fish for walleye from shore at night. In fact, I'd say 95% of my walleye fishing is done at night. Last year, I did a little exploring and found a bunch of new spots that produced well. Once you know what to look for and what types of lures to use, you can pretty much arrive at a new spot and slay them on your 1st try. The key (for numbers) is to fish on a clear night during a full moon (up to 3 days before and 3 days after). I also use long slender lures that vibrate in the water and usually add some sort of scent to really call them in. In 2011, I caught over 100 eyes from shore (in approximately 20 trips) and hope to break the 3 digit mark once again this year.thumbsup_anim.gif

I often fish for walleye from shore at night. In fact, I'd say 95% of my walleye fishing is done at night. Last year, I did a little exploring and found a bunch of new spots that produced well. Once you know what to look for and what types of lures to use, you can pretty much arrive at a new spot and slay them on your 1st try. The key (for numbers) is to fish on a clear night during a full moon (up to 3 days before and 3 days after). I also use long slender lures that vibrate in the water and usually add some sort of scent to really call them in. In 2011, I caught over 100 eyes from shore (in approximately 20 trips) and hope to break the 3 digit mark once again this year.thumbsup_anim.gif

thats awesome... a lot of guys couldnt get those numbers in a boat...

good for you

For those who catch walleye at night....what time at night? I just can't seem to catch anything once it gets real dark.

I can catch a bunch from my boat or canoe in 8 to 4 feet of water until sunset and then....nothing....as if somebody turned off the switch.

Edited by Dabluz

For those who catch walleye at night....what time at night? I just can't seem to catch anything once it gets real dark.

I can catch a bunch from my boat or canoe in 8 to 4 feet of water until sunset and then....nothing....as if somebody turned off the switch.

most nights i might fish till 1-2 hours after sunset... thats the best time in my opinion...2 hours before to 2 hours after sunset...i can get more in those 4 hours then a 8-4 8 hour day trip...

but ive started fishing at midnight and done well also...did that on walleye opener last year... 12 walleye in about an hour of fishing...

if you figure out where they hold for the night and stay on em... youll figure out the feeding times...

from what ive seen... areas with access to deep water... are best... at dark the walleye will slide up the bank to feed in the shallows..

Walleye fishing is always great an hour or so before dusk and right up to dusk. Once it gets dark, the walleye need about an hour or so for their eyes to adjust to the darkness. After that, the bite will pick up once again.

Like many here, I have night fished many years, less noise stress and water activity brings the Walleye shallow. Muskies will attack bait pretty-much anytime it's within their night zone area and above them. Sometimes black plugs are better at night depending on moon cycle as the outline is easier seen as a darker Silhouette than the water itself.

Night Navigation:

Know the water your fishing in, especially trolling or trolling using a downrigger for Walleye.

There are general topographical maps showing depth and obsticles on the net if you do the right search.

Only in the darkest of areas (no shore light) and least amount of moonlight do you need more than running lights and mild low wattage capped and down-pointing onboard lighting with output below general eye-line (this way your eyes can focus and see the water surroundings your moving through and not be night-blinded by your boat's onboard lights). (Myself, I put a couple of strips of black electrical tape on the stern light ONLY where it shines directly into the boat).

Avoid planing at night as no matter how well you may know the water you can't see floating debri and other nightfishing boats that are not using proper lighting.

In unknown waters, I use a compass (lighted) to keep my direction fairly straight in darker conditions and take a shore direction reading before leaving.

Walleye: If trolling, I use my electric, the quiter and slower the better in my opinion. Know matter the conditions I fish off the bottom or close to it from deeper to shallower water as I have found schools of walley move into structured areas and shallow water at night to feed, usually after dark. No matter what the bait, I use Florescent Orange spinners with it, as it seem to help attract walley.

Musky: You just never know with Musky, they say it takes 200 hours of fishing musky to land one. But there a ways to narrow down that number. Noisy, big side-winding baits (imitating injury) near the surface such as the suick work. Musky will attack moving things smaller than themselves hungary or not from below. They generally travel in pairs and mate for life, so if one is hooked and brought in the other may be close by. They will even re-take bait after being released.

I have had great success fishing at night, it can also be quite the adventure. One time while nightfishing gull wing in Bala, we were jigging in a desolate area just off-shore in a boulderous area, where no cottages were when a bear jumped in the water that we didn't hear coming, we were actually quite lucky our little and old outboard decided it would start on the first couple of cranks--something it hadn't done all weekl, and we were able to get the hell out of there. We were quite shaken with that event. -- It scared the crap out of us!

Musky will attack moving things smaller than themselves hungary or not from below. They generally travel in pairs and mate for life, so if one is hooked and brought in the other may be close by.

I know that Musky can often group together, especially in prime spots, but have never heard that they mate for life.

I know that Musky can often group together, especially in prime spots, but have never heard that they mate for life.

I've never heard that either. I'm quite sure that that's not the case. Unless of course you want to count salmon. They take a swim up the river to spawn and once done, they die! I consider that excellent incentive to not muck around with the neighbour eh? :)

Excellent replies here folks. Learning a lot. In regards to the the walleye guys here, Do you continue to troll for them at nite? I know dragging a worm harness during the day is deadly on them but how bout after dark? How does the dark affect your trolling? Is this presentation slowed down during the dark hours if at all?

FHR

Walleye fishing is always great an hour or so before dusk and right up to dusk. Once it gets dark, the walleye need about an hour or so for their eyes to adjust to the darkness. After that, the bite will pick up once again.

That's a myth

I Never see a lul in the action once it's dark...

Excellent replies here folks. Learning a lot. In regards to the the walleye guys here, Do you continue to troll for them at nite? I know dragging a worm harness during the day is deadly on them but how bout after dark? How does the dark affect your trolling? Is this presentation slowed down during the dark hours if at all?

FHR

Big stick baits at night, definitely trolled.. It's a killer tactic once you establish a pattern.

I've never heard that either. I'm quite sure that that's not the case. Unless of course you want to count salmon. They take a swim up the river to spawn and once done, they die! I consider that excellent incentive to not muck around with the neighbour eh? :)

I was just checking on that one, I'm thinking the confusion may be with similar sized musky grouping together, in which case it is unlikely that they are opposite sex, as females are larger than males.