Gun help NF

chris.brock

I just got my PAL, I'm looking for a reliable, all purpose shotgun. I was thinking a Remington Nitro Mag. I'm not sure what I'll be doing hunting wise, so I'd like to keep my options open.

I like the 28" barrel, Rem chokes and 3.5" chamber. I can also buy a rifled slug barrel.

any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

my favourite gun is the classic remington wingmaster. i'm not a big gun nut though so i'm sure there's far more technical opinions out there.

my favourite gun is the classic remington wingmaster. i'm not a big gun nut though so i'm sure there's far more technical opinions out there.

yeah, a buddy at work recommended the wingmaster, it's 2x the price of the nitro mag though

Check out a Maxus, they're reliable. My Remington 1100 has always been good to me, but it was made in the 70s, a good period for Remington. The most important thing imo, though, is to find a gun that feels right to you when you shoulder it.

It would depend on what species you hunt. You can use a 20 gauge for turkey and upland birds as well as deer with a rifled slug barrel. If hunting geese and ducks the 12 gauge is more common. If you're going for a 3.5 inch I recommend getting one that will handle 2,75 and 3 inch as well. The recoil from a 3.5 inch turkey load is significant. The pump actions are less expensive relative to semi-autos. The combos metioned are good value especially if you intend to hunt deer with a shotgun. I recommend not getting a fixed choke, most now are not. Interchangable chokes are more versatile and can be used on more species. I use a Remington 870 in 12 gauge only for turkey, its a reliable low cost shotgun. The 28 inch barrel on it is a little long for thick woods or tight spots but I don't hunt often with it.

I am a mossberg fan also but the gun to buy is the one that fits, feels good and is quality made. A trip to the local skeet range might be in order to see what they have as rentals and talk to the people who are shooting.

Art

the 870 express is the all round shot gun that can do everything from changing barrels to chokes and priced reasonably

X2

The 870 Wingmaster and the 870 Express are essentially the same gun with the exception being the finish. The Wingmaster is a well finished piece that looks like a piece of furniture...beautiful. The Express is a matte finished(somewhat) gun. There used to be quite a price difference. Enough of a diference to invest it in alternate barrels choices if desired.

I am a mossberg fan also but the gun to buy is the one that fits, feels good and is quality made. A trip to the local skeet range might be in order to see what they have as rentals and talk to the people who are shooting.

Fit is important. My 870 is a little too long for me in length of pull (distance between trigger and end of butt) and would be more comfortable with a slightly shorter stock. I havent changed it because I only use it for turkey and take less than 10 shots yearly. If you plan on shooting alot or hunting geese for example, make sure the fit is right.

Cris, as someone already mentioned it would really depend on what you intend to hunt with it.....with that being said I might steer you away from the 3.5" chambered shotguns.....maybe....

The 3.5" chambered shotguns were designed and developed for the SERIOUS waterfowler....and now the serious turkey hunter has also been targeted with these monster shotguns......They are big and HEAVY and not something you would want to carry around hunting upland game with....just too heavy to tote around while walking.....but OK for a duck blind or turkey blind...the other downside of the 3.5" shotgun is the HIGH price of their shells.......most guys after a while start to use 3" shells in these monster guns because the cost of the 3.5" shells, especially when you do a lot of shooting at ducks and geese...here's a link for Cabela's....compare for yourself the costs compared to a 3" or even a 2.75" 12 gauge shells to the monster 3.5"......BTW I don't believe any ammo manufacture even makes a 3.5" Sabot Slug....I may be wrong but I have never seen one....so if deer hunting is high on your list, then a 3" chambered gun makes even more sense......but if all you are doing is hunting ducks or turkeys from a blind you "may" want a 3.5" chambered shotgun....however, more ducks have fallen to 2.75" and 3" shells then the 3.5" shell.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/shooting-ammunition-shotgun-ammunition/_/N-1100191+4294751476/Ne-4294751476?WTz_l=SBC%253BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104691780&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

A gun that fits to "YOU" when you shoulder it is the best shotgun for "YOU"........with that said the Mossberg's and Remington's are usually the first to come to mind with everyone for a ECONOMICAL shotgun....but there are MANY more out there...

All the newer Remington's are now built on the cheap compared to 10 years ago or so......the Remington 870 Express is a cheap version of the Remington Wingmaster that is a very fine firearm....and now they even figured out how to make the Express even cheaper (for them) by not blueing the metal parts (barrel, receiver, etc...) but rather parkerizing it and I now hear guys in the swamps complaining the gun is starting to rust on the first or second time out duck hunting....this is not a good start for a new shotgun.

If you can find a BLUED Shotgun, even if it cost a bit more, buy it....it will serve you better in the long run.

You didn't mention how much you want to spend but here in the USA the cheaper Remingtons and Mossberg pumps can be had for around $200 new...the finer models of these same guns can be almost double that amount.

A good shape used but cared for shotgun is what I would recommend if you have a limited budget, as you have lots of time to find on right now....you will get more for you "bang" with a fine used shotgun then a cheap new one.

Good Luck and let us know what you find,

Bob

Agree with BB here, no reason for a 3.5 gun unless you're popping geese from 40-50yrds.. A 3in setup will be fine for rabbits, grouse etc.. If you want deer then a slug barrel is an easy addition.. My oldmans Browning Auto-5 with a Hastings slug barrel has dropped more deer then I care to remember. (This is a 2 and 3/4 gun)

Approach the 870 express with caution as in the past few years there have been some quality concerns. Stay away from the nitro all together.

Are you a left or right shooter? BPS ( browning) makes an ambidextrous bottom eject shotgun comparable to a wingmaster. Go try them and swing them all. In my opinion the best shotgun is an older Remington WIngmaster, they just don't build them like they used to period.

Down sides are it will likely have fixed chokes. This can be remedied .

Then with the left over $$ from buying an older gun , go pick up a dedicated slug gun like the express.

Canadian gun nutz is the site to look on for this type of info.

good luck

R

I just got my PAL, I'm looking for a reliable, all purpose shotgun. I was thinking a Remington Nitro Mag. I'm not sure what I'll be doing hunting wise, so I'd like to keep my options open.

I like the 28" barrel, Rem chokes and 3.5" chamber. I can also buy a rifled slug barrel.

any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.

I have an 870 Express that I bought new in 1987. The sequence goes like this: pump the action, pull trigger, bang, repeat until out of ammo.

I have a 3 inch chamber on mine and I would say that unless you are doing some serious goose hunting or maybe turkeys (never hunted turkeys, so I don't know the necessity for 3.5"), you don't need the 3.5" chamber. I have been doing well for geese the last two seasons with 3" steel shot which doesn't beat my shoulder like a 3.5" would. I would also suggest that unless you need to shoot 3.5" frequently, if you need a little more extra killing power, switch over to a 3" shell shooting something like bismuth or heavy-shot (non-steel, denser than lead alternatives). I have heard and seen reports with some of the 3.5" shotguns being less than reliable with the longer shells. If a feed/ejection malfunction costs you game in the bag, then the extra expense of the heavier than steel shells start to become less expensive. I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through my 870, both 2 3/4 and 3", and the only malfunctions I have had were related to reloads. I had a few feed issues last season with factory loads, but I gave it a good cleaning under the shell latches in the receiver. Problem solved.

I have had a few semis over the years, but I keep going back to the pump for reliability.

I have had a few semis over the years, but I keep going back to the pump for reliability.

Nothing worse then gettin up early, getting to the blind. Ducks are dive bombing you, and the first shot, you blow a gas seal. Day over. Well, unless you want to use your Semi as a single shot. This has happened to me with my old 1100 once.

Nothing worse then gettin up early, getting to the blind. Ducks are dive bombing you, and the first shot, you blow a gas seal. Day over. Well, unless you want to use your Semi as a single shot. This has happened to me with my old 1100 once.

RARE but I guess it happens unless you have the BEST Autoloader out there in the duck blind with you....a old trusty Browning Auto-5 that has no gas seals to fail..... :whistling: