Fishing License,,,,

Gerritt

got my issues sorted... talked to a very very helpful guy with the ny dec... somehow a second file was created in my name and that was the file with my current license... like walmart last fall made a new file somehow...

anyways... he gave me an ID number to take back to walmart and i can get a replacement for $5 :clapping:

im glad this guy figured it out or this could happen again... he merged the 2 files into 1 to solve the problem...

there is hope...lol...in NY state anyways...lol

in Virginia they input your information on the government system and when you go to any store you can get a replacement for free. and when you buy license its good for one year from the date of purchase .. not like in ontario my daughter turns 18 in june and she has to pay full amount for fishing license

Be warned.... Fish Ontario on the 400 @ the service station... may not be submitting the required paperwork to make sure you are legal...

G

For the record, I have stopped there many times over the last couple of years while on route to the cottage. Whenever I have guests requiring licenses, they are typically purchased/registered there. Everybody I know who purchased there, has always received their card via mail.

That said, I can't speak for the new system introduced late last year.

Slayer

got my issues sorted... talked to a very very helpful guy with the ny dec... somehow a second file was created in my name and that was the file with my current license... like walmart last fall made a new file somehow...

anyways... he gave me an ID number to take back to walmart and i can get a replacement for $5 :clapping:

im glad this guy figured it out or this could happen again... he merged the 2 files into 1 to solve the problem...

there is hope...lol...in NY state anyways...lol

Great news! :thumbsup_anim:

NYS is great to deal with. I do it over the computer. It arrives a few weeks later. I think Ontario's system (once running smoothly) should turn out similar. I had a pain getting my Ontario outdoors card this year as my printer took a crap so I couldn't print out the temperary and they offered no email receipt and didn't ship until Feburary. Hopefully things will get better. Just growing pains I guess.

Interesting....now it becomes clear to me why a certain shop only issued me a fishing license if it was payed cash when they had debit available. I thought the MNR kept track of the number of temp slips they give out to tackle shops so I didn't think much of it.

Renewed mine (2012 fishing tag only) in Walmart Orillia this week. Guy warned me from the gitgo it was not a smooth system but really had no problems other than I was paying with a Walmart gift card - that took a bit of doing as they had to run it thru the Tire & Lube cash & gal didn't know how. It did take longer than the paper & sticker method used to - noticed the guy had to input my address info twice for some reason. Still, it wasn't 15 minutes from start to finish and now I'm legal for this year according to what I'm carrying.

Think for next year I'll just do the 3 year thing (oops - lost my card!) and be done with carrying 2 pieces again, for now I'll just hit up my insurance company for another of those cheap vinyl pink slip wallets to carry in my tackle satchel

Michael

Today I went into the local home hardware to renew my fishing license and he asked me if I had my outdoors card... I said no it was never mailed to me... he looked everything up on their MNR "terminal" and they stated I had not renewed my card according to the MNR...? What the hell? I paid the money for the new card at the same time I renewed my license!

He said to me and I quote...

There is a reason the MNR has moved to this new system of issueing fishing licenses... it is because ALOT of places were accepting the fees associated to obtain a license.... But were not remitting the fees to the MNR...

the paperwork you filled out to renew your license and card were trashed... this is nuts.!

I will be calling the MNR tomorrow to report this and let them know last year I renewed my outdoors card... I have the copy to prove it...

Be warned.... Fish Ontario on the 400 @ the service station... may not be submitting the required paperwork to make sure you are legal...

anyways.... these silly "sticker cards" are just plain weird... I dont see them holding up in my wallet.

G

nothing but hearsay. he told you what he "thinks" is the reason for digitizing the license process, not the actual reason.

As I said... some places were not remitting the fees you and I paid to the MNR for the license... which may be the case here...

the fellow that owns the home hardware here told me that they make 25 cents for every license they issue... that is absurd! there is no incentive for the small business owner to issue licenses... really 25 cents? no wonder some places were nopt remitting the fees.... Ohhh I am steamed right now...

G

lied to you again, the fees arent much considering the time we spend on them, but if you bought a card and one year sport tag, he made almost $2, a far cry from $.25.

Apperantly this situation, is alot worse them you think.... alot of small outlets were doing this... "skimming off the top" and this is why the MNR has put this new system in place to prevent people from being scammed. this ISN'T the reason they put this system in place. it was put in place to streamline the process and eliminate a couple of steps and speed the process up, some changes were made to ensure moneys owed to the ministry get paid in a timely manner but that isnt the reason for the new system.

Everything is now done electronically through the MNR I saw the website he was logged into etc. that is the only way do get the license now... it ensures that the MNR gets the moeny due to them. atleast now I know I am legal... which I may not have been last year when I thought I renewed everything though fish-ontario.... This is good for the MNR... but bad for folks that have been screwed thinking they were legal.... but might not have been if the paperwork was not submitted.

I hope to have some resolved to this tomorrow... and will post my findings after talking to the MNR.

G.

Mike,

Apparently not.... as the website shows I did not renew last year (which I did) nor does it show I have a valid outdoors card... which I also paid for as I had to renew it.......the retailer told me this is why they are moving to this new system and it makes sense...alot of retailers were scamming the system again, heresay.... I am more then pissed... yes I had the temp paper permit... but never got anything else after that there were way to many links in the chain before your paperwork got keyed into the system at the outdoors card centre... this is why they are saying everything has to go electronically though the MNR site.....

Ugh... it is all Bull as far as I am concerned...

ps... pm me about the fishing out this way :)

G.

as i said, my understanding as an outside issuer is that they moved to an electronic system to eliminate the "middleman" so to speak, the information entered into the new system automatically updates the outdoors card centre and the MNR's files (which by the way, outside issuers DO NOT have access to), instead of an issuer sitting on the paperwork for 4-6 weeks, then sent to the district office where it is double checked for accuracy and then sent to the outdoors card centre to be processed and keyed into the system.

for the original poster, there were too many links in the chain to just blindly blame the store you bought the license from, and for a retailer to tell you they ripped you off and that a lot of small license issuers were doing this and skimming off the top is incredibly unprofessional and inaccurate. even with the old system of doing licenses the MNR were able to track every single license they sent every single issuer and any that weren't remitted still had to be paid for. The government gets their money one way or another.

Edited by DaveMc

One thing the walmart guy did tell me that the money went to the MNR electronically from Walmart's account to the MNR at the same time the new tag was printing, as in BEFORE I had actually paid for it. The MNR database was updated at the same time to reflect that I had purchased the tag. Without a doubt this is better for the MNR than any previous delays due to mailing or even lost mail. Like anything new, though, it's off to a rocky start and smoothing out. Compare it to any new release (with associated crashes) of the Windows operating system over the years, and it doesn't seem so bad.

Michael

Well, DaveMC it is obvious you have never dealt with the retailer I mentioned. They have a very poor reputation. Add to that I am telling you what the issuing retailer told me. The owner of a small Home Hardware ... so if he tells me he makes .25 cents I have no reason not to believe him. (1 year conservation license) Nor do I have a reason not to believe him when he states alot of other retailers were not remitting due paid to them back to the MNR... I know of 2 stores that no longer issue fishing licenses because of this.

Add to that some retailers are just getting out of issuing licenses all together as it is not very profitable for them, plain and simple.

All the Best,

G.

Nope you need a valid outdoors card as well.

odd that they'd allow an e-license to be attached to an expired card..

this is my second yr doing it that way, when i look on the site it says i expire 2013...

computers suck

EDIT:

spoke to the people at the outdoors card centre on the phone, and you were right, it was/is illegal to use my old card.. and that i should have had a new one mailed to me.. the computer got blamed and they're mailing me a new one..

see comment re: computers sucking..

Edited by Bitsmith2k

Call the office, they'll send it to you

I'm sure they will, but the fact that I have to call in just to get it is stupid. They already have all my mailing info and my money.

This was the first time I payed online, every other time I went to CT and always received it it 2-4 weeks later.