Fishing License,,,,

Gerritt

Well.... seeing as how I have some time on my hands taking care of my Oma I thought I could kill a couple of hours a day going fishing here in Brighton...

Well....

Last year I renewed my fishing license and outdoor card.... but I never recieved the card in the mail.

Today I went into the local home hardware to renew my fishing license and he asked me if I had my outdoors card... I said no it was never mailed to me... he looked everything up on their MNR "terminal" and they stated I had not renewed my card according to the MNR...? What the hell? I paid the money for the new card at the same time I renewed my license!

He said to me and I quote...

There is a reason the MNR has moved to this new system of issueing fishing licenses... it is because ALOT of places were accepting the fees associated to obtain a license.... But were not remitting the fees to the MNR...

the paperwork you filled out to renew your license and card were trashed... this is nuts.!

I will be calling the MNR tomorrow to report this and let them know last year I renewed my outdoors card... I have the copy to prove it...

Be warned.... Fish Ontario on the 400 @ the service station... may not be submitting the required paperwork to make sure you are legal...

anyways.... these silly "sticker cards" are just plain weird... I dont see them holding up in my wallet.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Hi there Gerritt.

I sent in for my card last November via on-line. 3 year fishing and hunting. Expen$ive!

At the first part of February I still did not have my new card.

So I made a couple phone calls. They did not admit anything, but I suspect there may have been a mess up in the system somewhere as there was no argument....

Had a new one a week later.

Bernie... this is stupid... I know it is not cheap, but they cannot even mail out the cards... it is crazy.. Someone needs to be held accountable if any fines are laid on anglers or hunters for this screwup.

Livinisfishin... make sure you do that, as the dont seem to know their heads from their :asshat: .... I will also be calling tomorrow.

this is what our fees and taxes are paying for folks.

G

Did my card online in the 3rd week of November, had my 3 year card in the mail by the 2nd week of Dec.. No complaints here.

As I said... some places were not remitting the fees you and I paid to the MNR for the license... which may be the case here...

the fellow that owns the home hardware here told me that they make 25 cents for every license they issue... that is absurd! there is no incentive for the small business owner to issue licenses... really 25 cents? no wonder some places were nopt remitting the fees.... Ohhh I am steamed right now...

G

As I said... some places were not remitting the fees you and I paid to the MNR for the license... which may be the case here...

the fellow that owns the home hardware here told me that they make 25 cents for every license they issue... that is absurd! there is no incentive for the small business owner to issue licenses... really 25 cents? no wonder some places were nopt remitting the fees.... Ohhh I am steamed right now...

G

Agreed. They should either make it worth the guys time taking in the forms, or do it all directly through the MNR.

It seems to be a sporadic problem, happening in only some areas.I applied on line for my outdoors card and 1 year, non ontario residents licence, and had it in 3 weeks(outdoors card)

I printed the licence from thier website.

It does eem like a overly complicated way to acquire the proper permits though, from a non residents standpoint.

Paul

Well I'm glad this thread was up tonight... Cause I'm P'd off...

Lost my wallets last weekend... I replaced everything already but my out of state NY license...

I was just in NY state tonight at the Walmart I bought my license... They are supposed to be able to give me a replacement...

Waited 20 minutes for the sporting goods worker to get back from break...

She gets back... Punches in my info... And tells me I don't currently have a license... What the heck????

I said I bought it here last fall ... And she was the one that served me that day....

She said I must have bought it in sept for the season ending the end of sept...

I know 100% that I bought it there after sept... So I'd have it till the end of sept 2012...

Now I'm flipping because I know she screwed something up and she's blaming it on me saying I must be mistaken...

So I'm gunna dig up my credit card statement to see when it was purchased.... And talk to the manager at the Walmart... Maybe they will just give me a new license...because I don't wanna pay the $70 again... That would be $140 for 1 year license....

Be warned.... Fish Ontario on the 400 @ the service station... may not be submitting the required paperwork to make sure you are legal...

I feel for you man. I doubt it's a common occurence as far as not remitting fees go though.

Fish Ontario didn't have the greatest rep to begin with, looks as though it may be about to get worse.

She said I must have bought it in sept for the season ending the end of sept...

I know 100% that I bought it there after sept... So I'd have it till the end of sept 2012...

Now I'm flipping

You should be flipping, because NY State allows you to buy the following years license well in advance of Sept 30th.

Anyone buying a non resident license in Sept should automatically be assumed to be purchasing the following years license.

At the very least she should have asked.

If that mistake was made it should have been obvious though, the year is printed right on the stub.

Tough luck Mike, hope you sort it out.

Apperantly this situation, is alot worse them you think.... alot of small outlets were doing this... "skimming off the top" and this is why the MNR has put this new system in place to prevent people from being scammed.

Everything is now done electronically through the MNR I saw the website he was logged into etc. that is the only way do get the license now... it ensures that the MNR gets the moeny due to them. atleast now I know I am legal... which I may not have been last year when I thought I renewed everything though fish-ontario.... This is good for the MNR... but bad for folks that have been screwed thinking they were legal.... but might not have been if the paperwork was not submitted.

I hope to have some resolved to this tomorrow... and will post my findings after talking to the MNR.

G.

Does ny license color change every year...?

If so whats the current color?

The one I was issued last fall was brown...

Well this year's license is brown Mike, so it appears as though you did buy the right license. (the color does change every year)

Apperantly this situation, is alot worse them you think.... alot of small outlets were doing this... "skimming off the top" and this is why the MNR has put this new system in place to prevent people from being scammed.

Everything is now done electronically through the MNR I saw the website he was logged into etc. that is the only way do get the license now... it ensures that the MNR gets the moeny due to them. atleast now I know I am legal... which I may not have been last year when I thought I renewed everything though fish-ontario.... This is good for the MNR... but bad for folks that have been screwed thinking they were legal.... but might not have been if the paperwork was not submitted.

I hope to have some resolved to this tomorrow... and will post my findings after talking to the MNR.

G.

Wow crazy if true. Can't believe any retailer would be dumb enough to do that. As far as I knew they had to be accountable for every single license issued to them.

Good luck man.

Edited by solopaddler

Mike,

Apparently not.... as the website shows I did not renew last year (which I did) nor does it show I have a valid outdoors card... which I also paid for as I had to renew it...

the retailer told me this is why they are moving to this new system and it makes sense...alot of retailers were scamming the system.... I am more then pissed... yes I had the temp paper permit... but never got anything else after that... this is why they are saying everything has to go electronically though the MNR site.....

Ugh... it is all Bull as far as I am concerned...

ps... pm me about the fishing out this way :)

G.

bought my license a few days before jan 1st... still hasn't arrived.

I bought mine, and my card renewal just before I went to Bernies place last fall... and renewed everything on our way up... and got NOTHING.. and they have nothing on record either according to their website.

It seems to be a sporadic problem, happening in only some areas.I applied on line for my outdoors card and 1 year, non ontario residents licence, and had it in 3 weeks(outdoors card)

I printed the licence from thier website.

It does eem like a overly complicated way to acquire the proper permits though, from a non residents standpoint.

Paul

I just love how the MNR treats us non residents.Renewed and received my new outdoors card rather quickly but unlike Ontario residents the 3 year stamp is no longer integrated on the back of my card.No we non residents

have to carry an outdoors card that is useless unless we produce a paper with it as well.Someone is obviously a complete idiot.I called up and complained about it but that is the way it has to be.

$10 extra for a card that is useless.Who ever thought this one up should be fired :asshat: really.

Previous years my card was exactly like an Ontario resident with 3 yrs stamped on the back of the card.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I bought mine, and my card renewal just before I went to Bernies place last fall... and renewed everything on our way up... and got NOTHING.. and they have nothing on record either according to their website.

hahaha... that's priceless. i have my temp card or whatever but it's been through a few dozen trips and has seen better days. i can't wait to hand a tattered mess to a CO. :whistling:

When I went thru this fiasco prior to Jan 1, I did it on-line and had to print off a 8.5x11 piece of paper, that I cut down and folded and jammed into my wallet. I thought this was now my license. Was I wrong? Am I still supposed to get something in the mail, like the old outdoors card?

Never mind....I just read the answer. Guess I better get on the phone and sraighten this mess out! It was hard enough getting the e-license because of the dreaded "postal code " error, now this hiccup! What a joke!....My understanding is that even after jumping through all these hoops, that at the end of the day, I still have to carry a non-waterproof, bulky, 8.5x11 peice of paper.....nice.

Edited by simonl