Ice Out Watch - 2012

jedimaster

Well just thought I would post this to get some updates on the ice out... If you near the water post the lake date and open water reports...

Specifically I was wondering if the Kawartha lakes are open yet, but post for whatever lake you know.

Clear Lake in the Kawarthas is still covered but the neighbors dog went thru the ice this morning near shore so it would appear it won't be too much longer till ice out.

The pooch got out OK.

Scugog River from Lindsay to Sturgeon Lake is wide open, of course, and the very south end of the lake is "centre bare". The channel is fully open out to beyond the navigation buoys, and it's widening so fast you can see it happening.

The bays at the south end still have some ice but it's punky and melting fast. It just barely supports the Canada geese! This week, with temps in the teens, should open up some launch ramps.

Scugog River from Lindsay to Sturgeon Lake is wide open, of course, and the very south end of the lake is "centre bare". The channel is fully open out to beyond the navigation buoys, and it's widening so fast you can see it happening.

The bays at the south end still have some ice but it's punky and melting fast. It just barely supports the Canada geese! This week, with temps in the teens, should open up some launch ramps.

Hey Whiskey. I'm in your 'hood' this Sat & Sun. Hopefully with the help of some strong winds and the warm temps we might be doing some soft water fishing :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: .

Slayer

Edited by pikeslayer

On Sunday the north end of Pigeon was still frozen except out from the mouth of the river in town...can see lots of open water from the big bridge and can't tell how far it is open in the current area to the south between Big Island and the west shore...

Hey Whiskey. I'm in your 'hood' this Sat & Sun. Hopefully with the help of some strong winds and the warm temps we might be doing some soft water fishing:thumbsup_anim:.

Slayer

I can't believe how fast it's melting! I think you might be OK by the weekend Simon.Where will you launch?

It's all ice in front of me on Upper Buckhorn, real punky ice though. I can see open water stretching right across from the direction of Gannons Narrows all the way to Emerald Isle. When I drove across the narrows yesterday afternoon it was pretty well open both directions as far as you could see. This afternoon I came across the Pigeon River by Emily Park and that was all open as well.

The water level is starting to come up a bit, but still at least a foot or two below summer level.

My buddy was saying he came by Scugog through Cesarea today and there was more open water than ice.

I may have to get the boat on the driveway this weekend and get it ready.

I'm guessing you have never been to Japan...really, really, really bad scotch....lol

I've tried that stuff. You're right; really, really bad stuff!

But it's called single malt whisky, not Scotch. To be Scotch it has to be distilled from barley, in Scotland, and aged in an oak cask for at least 3 years, in Scotland.

Sorry for taking us off-topic, but I had to speak up biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'd be guessing really bad scotch wouldn't be coming from Scotland. On topic: the only open water we have here is in the creeks and rivers. Lakes are still solid with some snow cover. With the long range forecast I'm looking at, it won't be too long.