Best Way Carry a 5 HP Outboard into Portage Lakes

Golfisher

This spring I'll be re-acquainting myself with the shield lakes of Ontario, having missed them longingly since moving to Nova Scotia a few years ago. The Chapleau camp where I and my fishing buddy will be staying has a few surrounding lakes where boats are kept, but we have to haul in a small outboard weighing around 45 lb. I've done this before a few times, but it was always a pain in the butt just grabbing and carrying the motor by the handle and the shaft--and I am not getting any younger. There must be a better way to carry the motor through the trails into portage lakes. Any suggestions? Some sort of backpack? A cart? Strapped to a pole carried by two? Hire a Sherpa?

I hadn't been active in the board since moving away, but I've still been lurking around, and will post a report of the trip, which has been made possible in part by Mike and his exhaustive knowledge of fishing camps in ON. That man knows his stuff! :clapping:

I'm thinking some sort of back pack.

Maybe cut a hole in the bottom of an old back pack for the shaft to stick out? Or make some sort of rig that you can strap the motor too?

I know my arms would get pretty soar carring a 45lb motor around the bush.

I know there are harnesses you can get for lifting motors, but I don't know where, and how much they cost.. You might be able to modify one to attached to a back back.

Don't use the "strapped to a pole" method.

We carried two 9.9 motors in to a remote lake once. One person just slung it over his shoulder and walked along. The other motor was clamped to a pole and carried by two people on their shoulders. The one on the pole was a Pain in the ass. It bounced and swung around and the pole wore holes in our shirts in the shoulder area.

We had to stop a number of times to switch shoulders and take a break. The other guy who just carried it in to the lake had two pike in the boat by the time we arrived.

This spring I'll be re-acquainting myself with the shield lakes of Ontario, having missed them longingly since moving to Nova Scotia a few years ago. The Chapleau camp where I and my fishing buddy will be staying has a few surrounding lakes where boats are kept, but we have to haul in a small outboard weighing around 45 lb. I've done this before a few times, but it was always a pain in the butt just grabbing and carrying the motor by the handle and the shaft--and I am not getting any younger. There must be a better way to carry the motor through the trails into portage lakes. Any suggestions? Some sort of backpack? A cart? Strapped to a pole carried by two? Hire a Sherpa?

I hadn't been active in the board since moving away, but I've still been lurking around, and will post a report of the trip, which has been made possible in part by Mike and his exhaustive knowledge of fishing camps in ON. That man knows his stuff! :clapping:

Glad I could help Eddie, or at least inspire you. Which lake did you end up booking? PM me if you want.

As far as the outboard goes Dr. Sal has the right idea. 45lb's can be carried quite easily on a packboard.

Fortunately it's a 2 stroke motor. While I loved my little 4 stroke 2hp Honda for that kind of stuff it leaked oil all over the place unless you carried it upright. Which is impossible on long carries through the bush.

I resorted to draining the oil before the carry then topping it back up when I reached the lake. Big pita, but necessary.

Depends how long the portage is. But we use a life jacket for padding our shoulders and tie a rope/leather strap to the motor so that we can sling it over our shoulder. Easiest way to carry it and it keeps your hands free for rods and paddles etc.

Also close the gas line off or disconnect the gas line and run it dry before the portage.

Also try to position it in an upright fashion when carrying. We carried one upside down and it flooded the carb with gas. It was a bugger to start for the rest of the trip.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Nemo

The got some pretty fancy (two wheel) Wheel barrow's now too (just saying) ... could toss some other gear in there as well ... little easier on the back and the one I bought at HH has great big soft tires, sponge handle bar (and a HUGE tub)... can pretty much move 200lb of gear with one hand and still very stable

The got some pretty fancy (two wheel) Wheel barrow's now too (just saying) ... could toss some other gear in there as well ... little easier on the back and the one I bought at HH has great big soft tires, sponge handle bar (and a HUGE tub)... can pretty much move 200lb of gear with one hand and still very stable

That's a great idea especially if there's a decent trail.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

That's a great idea especially if there's a decent trail.

That would be the downfall for me. Most portage trails I frequent are single track and laced with boulders... definitely not friendly for anything on wheels like a wheelbarrow...

Over the shoulder from the front, I would be a little leery carrying something like that in a backpack over rough terrain. A slip and fall backwards and you can really screw your back up. If it's loose in your arms, you can drop it and save yourself.

Over the shoulder from the front, I would be a little leery carrying something like that in a backpack over rough terrain. A slip and fall backwards and you can really screw your back up. If it's loose in your arms, you can drop it and save yourself.

It's by far the easiest way to carry a small motor, unless you have forearms like Popeye.

Using your back is way easier. Personally carrying the thing with my arms in front of me kills my back on long portages.

Most guys will routinely carry waaaay more weight in their backpack on canoe trips anyway.

45lb's is a piece of cake.

Not a very good idea if you want that motor to survive.. Would be no problem on a decent path, but if you are humping a motor through dense brush, you won't get very far...

Mike and I did a horrible portage a few years ago, I humped that little 4 stroke of his by the handle like carrying a suit case.. Not the best, but if I had to drop it, it was only going 1-2ft as most.

The Sportspal was even more fun!! But the 10lb+ walleyes we caught were well worth it!

Mike and I did a horrible portage a few years ago, I humped that little 4 stroke of his by the handle like carrying a suit case.. Not the best, but if I had to drop it, it was only going 1-2ft as most.

The Sportspal was even more fun!! But the 10lb+ walleyes we caught were well worth it!

You know it brother.

Its costly but

herc.jpg

Make your son carry it

HAHA! Good idea in about 10 years. Mine is still only 5.

Thanks guys for the replies. It looks like a packboard is the way to go. I have an old, heavy-duty camping backpack that I can probably modify to carry the motor. If it doesn't work when I get to the camp, I'll let my fishing buddy do the hauling.

Glad I could help Eddie, or at least inspire you. Which lake did you end up booking? PM me if you want.

I settled on Embarrass. I wanted to go all the way to Abamasagi and ATV-in, but my fishing buddy thought it was too far. So, he gets to haul in the motor for wimping out.

Its costly but

herc.jpg

Make your son carry it

Great solution for those who have a son, but I got none.

Thanks guys for the replies. It looks like a packboard is the way to go. I have an old, heavy-duty camping backpack that I can probably modify to carry the motor. If it doesn't work when I get to the camp, I'll let my fishing buddy do the hauling.

I settled on Embarrass. I wanted to go all the way to Abamasagi and ATV-in, but my fishing buddy thought it was too far. So, he gets to haul in the motor for wimping out.

Great solution for those who have a son, but I got none.

You can make one now and thousands of dollars and years from now.... VOILA instant(not) motor carrying device.

matter of fact you can name them that and that way he won't be in shock when it comes time to fulfill his god given purpose.

You can see why when we were watching tv last week and I was speaking with my son regarding a show and was searching for a word to describe the emotional relationship between a father a son(the word I was searching for was paternal) My son quipped "hatred??" LOL

Edited by Musky or Specks