ST.Jacabs NOT St.Thomas Ont

misfish

It,s a romantic place? :whistling: Can someone give me some detail about the area and attractions? Place to stay. We need a get away, for a couple of days.

I do know it has a huge peanut store.

Edited by Misfish

If you are interested in the St. Thomas area, definately check out Port Stanley, its a little fishing village south of St. Thomas at the mouth of Kettle Creek....there is a couple beaches and one of them is a large beach used by alot of people so scenery is pretty good there at times haha ;) you can also ride the train in Port Stanley, lol I would just suggest finding a hotel or a bed and breakfast in Port Stanley lol if you got a boat there is a couple of ramps to put in.....you can catch perch out around the pier and further out in the lake people mostly use downriggers to catch rainbows and walleyes.....anyways hope I can help....take care

I grew up in St. Thomas and have to wonder what would make you choose St. Thomas as a destination. If I was going to stay there I would likely stay at the Day's Inn which is located at the east end of Talbot St. on the way to Aylmer. Jumbo's statue is not far from the Elgin County War Museum. Not many good restaurants in St. Thomas ,but you aren't far from London. There is another museum on Hwy. 4 south of the city. The RR museum is also located in town. After seeing these in the morning you could go tour Port Stanley in the first part of the afternoon,then head east to Sparta where some touristy shops are located. Hope you enjoy your day in St. Thomas.

wow i live here in St.Thomas...romantic would be the last word I would use to describe it. Seriouly there is nothing here in town I could recommend to you. Now only 15 minutes away is London with lots of entertainment,restaurants,museums,sporting venues, and more importantly lots of hotels from very cheap to 5 star not to mention several inns. If I were to point you to one that would be romantic it would have to be The Iydllwilde Inn On Grand ave check it out

www.idlewyldinn.com

Edited by bowslayer

I use to live over that way Brian before we moved to Midhurst , pretty quit little place but booming in the back yards so to speak , the menonites are friendly and like to fish , lots of places you can drop into , just look for their signs posted out front of their drive ways and your welcomed in and free to spend , hit the waterloo market just off the conastoga if you can , you'lls injoy that for sure , the foods good there any where you go , can't tell ya much eles other then if you buy some thing from over that way it will last you a life time .

Edited by Skipper " D "

st jacobs is menonite country.. lots of shops with their wares as well they sell their products from their homes. just don't try to shop on sunday. you're also minutes away from kitchener/waterloo. the town itself is a bit of a tourist trap, but it is a nice little town. romantic... I guess??!?

The only thing to do in St Jacobs on Sunday is shop at Home Hardware.

You could tour the sugar bush on Saturday (not open on Sunday either)

Natural Sports on Victoria St is only 15 minutes away and KW Surplus is kind of cool

All depends on your wife's definition of romantic!

Depends on time of year. At this time of year, the market isn't much. The farmers, self included, all start showing up by late May. The market on Saturday is an experience itself. There is a restored old train that runs from downtown Kitchener through to the village of St Jakobs. Lots of specialty shops, antiques, etc.. FOOD!!! The rivers are lined with parkland everywhere. I've done a bit of smallie fishing down there.

Best restaurant, hands down, is in a sleepy village 20 minutes west of St Jakobs. AnnaMays. Parking lot is always full and always a waiting list

Pickard Peanuts are the best ever.. A million different flavours too.

I havn't been to St Jacobs for a long time. Around 20 years I'd say. All I remember are antiques, and candy shops.

It's close to KW if you feel like doing any City type stuff as well.

Pickard Peanuts are the best ever.. A million different flavours too.

Ya our driver goes there and gets everyones supply of nuts every few weeks.

Thanks.

Looks like it will be a trip in May. Want to get the whole show.

Ya our driver goes there and gets everyones supply of nuts every few weeks.

Thanks.

Looks like it will be a trip in May. Want to get the whole show.

Wifey and I have stayed here a few times and highly recommend......

http://www.evenholmeestate.com/main/#aboutus

Used to be 'Jakobstettel House'. Note they are somewhat negotiable on 2 night packages depending on time of year.

Simon

We stayed here a few years ago, awesome breakfast and a great host.

http://www.bedbreakf...om/theloghouse/

There was a restaurant at the "4 corners" that was great for dinner. Wish I could remember the name of it. Buffet style and was recommend by the owner of the B&B.

Niagara on the Lake is another area you might want to check out.

Edited by fishnsled

Picards Peanuts and the Chocolate shop next door, right on the corner of #85, here's the map http://www.stjacobs.com/sites/default/files/2011PrinterFriendlyMaps_000.pdf

Oh ya, not to forget the bakery, the aroma....just goes on forever. The restaurant next door. Don't know if the farmers market is open this time of year.

It all depends on what you like to do i guess, i find the area very interesting and twice in the last year have stayed near there and checked out different attractions. Elora is not far away and there is lots to see there if you like that sort of thing. We stayed the one time in north end of Guelph and ventured from there, Royal Distributing is close to there if you do any outdoor power sports. As mentioned the market is usually open and the outlet mall is across the road.

Picards Peanuts and the Chocolate shop next door, right on the corner of #85, here's the map http://www.stjacobs.com/sites/default/files/2011PrinterFriendlyMaps_000.pdf

Oh ya, not to forget the bakery, the aroma....just goes on forever. The restaurant next door. Don't know if the farmers market is open this time of year.

The market never closes. There are 2 buildings of year round vendors. The various butchers in the area are first rate. Stemmlers meats used to be at the market but have since opened their own place not far from the market. Even Dutchies has opened a permanent store last year ( getting tired of standing out in the cold winter air).

It can take the better part of a day to browse the market. Just make surer you stop and say Hi. I.m in the main aisle outdoors.