How to start Musky fishing?

Sketty55

Thanks to all for your responses. Lot's of great info to start my mission! One specific topic I'm wondering about at this point, what handling techniques are advised for this species. I realize a large net is required, but once out of the net, is there techniques that are preferrable which will cause the least amount of injury?

Thanks to all for your responses. Lot's of great info to start my mission! One specific topic I'm wondering about at this point, what handling techniques are advised for this species. I realize a large net is required, but once out of the net, is there techniques that are preferrable which will cause the least amount of injury?

Most guys I know us a cradle to control the fish in the water while they get rid of the hooks.. Once they've done that, it's either back in the drink or out for a quick pic then off she goes!

Grab it by the gill plate and support it's body with your other hand, hold on tight because they are very slippery and will sometimes headshake while you're holding them. Just minimize the time out of the water (unhook, get your camera ready, etc.. while the musky is still in the net in the water).

I struggled BIG time when I first got into it last year because it was completely new to me and I didn't know anybody who fished for them. The biggest mistake I made starting out was to fish for them in low numbers waters instead of more populated lakes/rivers. Find a good numbers lake and just keep fishing it. Finding somebody experienced to fish with will help a ton too. I'm not the most experienced guy but if you ever want to try for musky around the quinte area give me a shout. I'm still learning myself but I'd be more than happy to help out somebody new to musky fishing since it's still very fresh in my mind how tough it is starting out by yourself.

-Christopher

Most damaging to the fish, is the time spent out of the water. After you have unhooked the fish, put it back in the net resting in the water beside the boat. Here it can revive while you rest and revive....and get your camera and smile ready.

When you hold a fish up for the photo, please cradle it under the belly away from your body slightly. This does not remove any of the protective slime from the fish onto your shirt or jacket and also supports the internal organs in their natural position

One other item I will mention, and it is a contentious one which has been debated. Only legal length fish should be removed for photos. I know you will be proud of any muskie caught and would like to show it but you are leaving yourself open for a fine by a CO if he witnessed the photo of a sub legal fish. As you gain experience you will learn which fish are PHOTO OPS.

Good luck

One thing I forgot. Do not lay the fish on the floor or boat seats to remove hooks or measure it. This can all be done in the water, in the net.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

i am 16 years old and just started musky fishing last season, i went overboard on the rod and reel. my first combo was a calcutta 400 te and a st croix premier rod. it is amazing. let me just tell you it is the most addicting thing in the world but costs a lot of money. number one thing is proper release tools. a big net, long pliers, and bolt cutters are a must. if you are starting out , the kawarthas will produce numbers of muskie. i have only been fishing musky for a couple months last season and have already landed about a dozen decent sized muskie. just try not to get too addicted lol or your wallet will be affected.

first,,remove yourself from any family commitments.

get a line of credit.

begin taking anti-psycotic drugs before fishing..

find a partner thats hard of hearing.dogs are great..

from there you can invest in using every waking moment chasing big slimey,stinky fish.

as for tools the guys filled that part in very well..

in 1 years time if you arent talking to yourself,you have missed something.