2 Piece rods

mercman

While at the Fishing show this year, i could help but notice, that it was hard as heck to find 2 pieces casting rods.

Even some of 8 -8.5 footers are only 1 piece.

Personally, i like the 2 piece rods for ease of transportation when i fish in someone elses boat.I can just throw them in the back seat, and go.

My shorter rods 6-6.5 feet are one piece.They fit easily in most vehicules.

How does it affect the rod in terms of sensitivity, strength, casting distance etc.

I have broken a few rods in my day, but never close to the joint between the 2 sections.

Thanks

Paul

I've never liked 2 piece rods myself, infact I've never even owned one before, but I wanted a new 8'6" Compre musky rod and they only come in 2 piece. I went and looked at them recently and was happy with what I saw. It actually comes apart right at the forward grip rather than in the middle and seems like it's gonna work very well for me.

I don't like 2 piece rods either. I have no doubt that the newer multi piece rods don't have the flex problems that the older ones did with the metal ferules. I understand that they're indispensable for people who are hiking into back lakes or even for folks using small vehicles or public transit. Then there are the LONG rods like fly and float rods which are just too long to transport or even store. There are also some manufacturers for whom most of if not all of their rod sales go through the post or shipping companies. The cost to ship a one piece rod is horrendous.

There is certainly a difference in sensitivity but I couldn't prove that to you. The only 2 piece rod I have left is an 8'6" trolling rod where rod sensitivity isn't an issue.

Don't like 2 piece rods, maybe it's just a mind set that I have developed over the years. However, as Lew says, having them come apart at the handle may be a good compromise.

All of my rods excepy my ultralite spinning outfit are 2 pc,I mainly fish small remote lakes & carry my stuff on my quad.I have never broken a 2 pc rod but have broke a couple 1 pc rods,1 by closing my truck door on it & another caught a tree on my way into a lake.

I have been told 1 pc rods are more sensitve but they are not practical for this fisherman.

I only own 1 rod that is 1 piece and find it a nuisance to transport and store. After getting into fly fishing I now own a 2 rods that are 4 pieces and I love them for transportation and storage and really can't say I have noticed a problem with them otherwise.

I have a variety of both. My higher end rods are 1 piece, and my lower end rods are 2 pieces. I like 2pc rods for lugging around on camping trips and for loaning to other people. If I had a boat I would probably go more for 1PC rods. As far as sensitivity goes I fish mostly for musky and salmon so that is not a priority.

Only one piece rod I own is the one I bought from Lew, and while I do like that rod for dragging big lures for Musky, I hardly ever take it anywhere else ... just too much of a pain to get in my car ... I have several 9' and 10' rods which quite comfortably go into my trunk and I take em everywhere.

By the way .. if anyone's is selling an old 10' or 11' noodle rod (I digress)... I am short about a foot on one of my favourites :) (Just PM me for a cash offer)

I really like the one piece rods, but have never owned one because i have the 'klutz' gene and break too many so stick with 2 piece for that reason....lol...they come neatly pre-broken in the middle for me!

Edited by limeyangler

By the way .. if anyone's is selling an old 10' or 11' noodle rod (I digress)... I am short about a foot on one of my favourites :) (Just PM me for a cash offer)

Jon, you broke a foot off a TWO PIECE rod? Say it ain't so! :)

Jon, you broke a foot off a TWO PIECE rod? Say it ain't so! :)

oohhh it so Roy :)

Not even sure how I did it ... think I had a little too aggressive hook set under a bridge ... in all honesty I have never felt any issues with the 2 piece in terms of supple/feel etc ... although I have had to fight the occasional Musky with half my rod in the water ... hoping like heck that I dont get broken off and lose both the fish and half my rod :) (which is why I understand the usefulness of a 1 piece for big brutes)

With the modern rods I don't think that there is much difference between the performance of a 1 piece rod and a 2 piece rod. I think it comes down to personal preference.

I'm not sure that I agree with that. I think there is a movement in the industry to rap rods with special fibers that allow lighter and more brittle material to be used. I could see how two piece rods would not work well with this technique. I am just speculating on this point as I am no expert in the field. Hopefully someone like garry 2r's or spiel can add a more educated opinion.

All I can say is this ... look at most river fishermen (and I am guilty as charged) with their 10', 11', 12' + rods .. they are supple and you can easily fight 15 lb rainbows on 4lb line (or less) ... better than any willow whisp ... and they are all 2 (or even 3 piece rods) ... and not cheap .... I personally like my rods in two pieces .. and quality dictates their performance ... the ONE thing about a 1 piece is you NEVER have to fight a monster with a half a rod in the water (unless she snaps) :)

90% of my rods are 1 piece. I used to own 2 piece rods but after trying my 1st one piece I wouldn't go back. Can't explain it - they 'feel' more solid.

Transporting is not an issue, they either go in the boat or fit in my jeep (even the 8'6")

Paul, come by for a coffee next time you are close and I'll show you what I have on my wall. 1PC can be great for a drop shot rod while a 2PC can make for a great travel walleye jigging rod. it all depends on what and how you want to fish. I have many of both and I'm very happy with the combo I put together to do so for each outing.

I use 95% one piece for bass, walleye etc..

One of my favourite rods broke and the only replacement I could find was a 2pc. It is a jerk bait rod and I really can not tell the difference.

Edited by Harrison