What is this creature?

Mr Twister

Hey guys just very curious to know what the heck is this parisite found in some Herring as I have not seen this before?

I can't find anything close to this in some of the fresh water game fish sites on the net.

What do you think!

Twister

IMG_0175-1.jpg

" The 'herring worm' is often found in herring, mackerel, whiting and blue whiting, but it also occurs in many other species. Its scientific name is Anisakis simplex. It grows up to 2 cm long in fish, is almost colourless, and is found tightly coiled and encased in the guts and flesh, sometimes in considerable numbers, particularly in the belly flaps. Anisakis can migrate from guts to flesh in fish left ungutted after capture, notably in herring, mackerel and blue whiting"

http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm

Could that be it ?

" The 'herring worm' is often found in herring, mackerel, whiting and blue whiting, but it also occurs in many other species. Its scientific name is Anisakis simplex. It grows up to 2 cm long in fish, is almost colourless, and is found tightly coiled and encased in the guts and flesh, sometimes in considerable numbers, particularly in the belly flaps. Anisakis can migrate from guts to flesh in fish left ungutted after capture, notably in herring, mackerel and blue whiting"

http://www.fao.org/w...1e/x5951e01.htm

Could that be it ?

I sure hope it isn't. That's nasty .. http://www.google.ca...WL3PzmA&cad=rja

He said it came from Nipising.

Actually he didn't say that was where it came from he replied to another post saying it was from the lake mentioned. And I didn't read all the other post sorry.

As for the parasite I believe that is the parasite they are having trouble with on Nipising this year. I was reading about it in a magazine. They aren't harmfull as others mention most aren't when found in fish.

Actually he didn't say that was where it came from he replied to another post saying it was from the lake mentioned. And I didn't read all the other post sorry.

As for the parasite I believe that is the parasite they are having trouble with on Nipising this year. I was reading about it in a magazine. They aren't harmfull as others mention most aren't when found in fish.

To my knowledge, the herring have had them for several years. I can't speak to prior.

I've heard of a few herring this year that were completely clean.

Thank god these things don't like walleye meat.

To my knowledge, the herring have had them for several years. I can't speak to prior.

I've heard of a few herring this year that were completely clean.

Thank god these things don't like walleye meat.

That is a good thing walleye don't have them lol. I personally don't care if I see something while Im eating my fish I just look away and chew a bit faster lol.

The parasite I was reading about may have been different then this but it did look similar. I was looking for the article in my magazine but I can't find it.

Edited by Live2fish85