frs / two way radios

rob v

Anyone have much experience with these radios? I've been thinking about getting a pair - one for the boat - the other for the cottage - to try and keep in touch. I understand their range tends to be limited when islands etc get in the way. Are there some units that work better than others ? Are they worth the cost (looks like a decent pair runs about $90-$100). Might be good for keeping two vehicles traveling together in touch with each other also (esp if cell reception is poor/non-existant)?

We had some cobra ones they were great and very small 25 mile range I think is what they said we had no problems getting 3-4 miles clear across a lake that was about as far apart we were. I had bigger Motorola ones and form them to not get out as good they could not reach 3 miles on rice lake but cost a lot more they were $150 but we got them on sale for $20 thanks to red flag deals and staples matching and beating program and a mail on coupon.

I liked them as I would head out fishing before the family and wait for the wife to call me for breakfast then take the family out great things to have.

There are cheap ones and better ones....so you will get what you pay for....but for under $100 for a pair you should be good to go....BUT here's my only recommendation.....get a pair that will take alkaline batteries as the rechargeable are crap for lasting very long. We use them for hunting and they work very good, even in the cold.

Bob

I got a pair of Cobras at CT last fall,for under 100$, and have used them to keep in contact with my Bro when we take 2 boats, and for communication between vehicules during the trip.

I was getting 2-3 mile out of mine in a lake with forrested islands between us.

i have some motorolas that are supposed to be good for a long distance (can't remember how far but they were the farthest made at the time of purchase.) and i'm lucky to be able to raise my buddy from a distance greater than 2 miles on open water , not really worth the money i paid for them.

I bought a set of SCobra (22 mile range CT model type) at CTC a few years back for deer hunting and love'em. They are compaq with 22 channels available to choose from... I use regular AAA batteries not the rechargeable ones that comes with the unit.

I find the rechargeable's loose their charge after their initial use and never have the same longevity afterwards... Out in the bush, sitting in the deer stand can become a problem without an ear piece when your partner calls you, a ringing tone is immediately heard on the receiving radio :blink:

Overall, I'm happy with the units and do not hesitate in recommending them :)

Leechman

I bought a set of SCobra (22 mile range CT model type) at CTC a few years back for deer hunting and love'em. They are compaq with 22 channels available to choose from... I use regular AAA batteries not the rechargeable ones that comes with the unit.

I find the rechargeable's loose their charge after their initial use and never have the same longevity afterwards... Out in the bush, sitting in the deer stand can become a problem without an ear piece when your partner calls you, a ringing tone is immediately heard on the receiving radio :blink:

Overall, I'm happy with the units and do not hesitate in recommending them :)

Leechman

Put it on vibrate, and put it in your pocket, where you can feel it.thumbsup_anim.gif

Marine VHF is not for jibber jabber, it's a working net.

you can also get vhf with a private channel as well ,

if your at a cottage it wont be like in the city so iam sure the jibber jabber wont be as bad a day on lake ontario

i still think thats the best way to go

if other cottages on your lake have it is also a communication method with them

up on lake temagami years ago i worked at a kids camp and we heard over the vhf about a medical emergency

with the island that the call came from we wernt two far away

so we headed over man had had a heart attack

we provided medical assistance

Motorola MS560 !! These units are awesome! Waterproof, they float, vibrate call/ alert and headphone/mic jack for when youre hunting and need to be quiet. and a range of up to 56km* (under "optimal" conditions of course). We've got a set at the cottage and have had no issues what soever. We have tried about 3miles apart from eachother on the lake and havent had any problems. havent tried any further tho. These radios are the best we've used

Hi Rob

We purchased the Uniden GMR2875-2CK three years back and have had no problems. Has weather channel, sleep mode, call, etc. Suggest you check their website as the link is way to long to post here. :)

thanks guys - some good info to consider. the vhf hand helds are another option I suppose - but you're using public channels on them I think (?) but is would expect they'd have better range. anyways - thanks again.

we've had various brands over the years but our group has now gone to motorola, they seem to be the best, the distances they claim they are good for isn't even close, but they work well, we found cobra to be crap, I know this goes against some previous posts

thanks guys - some good info to consider. the vhf hand helds are another option I suppose - but you're using public channels on them I think (?) but is would expect they'd have better range. anyways - thanks again.

Handheld VHFs are going to cost you more and have less range. VHF is line-of-sight and limited power. The highest output for handheld VHFs is 1 W on low and 5 W on high. A few models made for the US market will go to 7W on high. So only good for a few kilometres and less if there are obstructions.

And you have to have a licence (Restricted Radio Operator's Certificate - Marine)

The better GMRS/FRS units will get you >10km and occasionally double that, for less money with longer battery life and no licence.

Cobra offers more features/dollar. They are the "JVC of hand-held radios". Motorola is still the quality king but each year dips lower and lower on quality and commands a higher price.

I suggest you set your budget and then pick the best GMRS/FRS radio that keeps you in budget. I have 2 pr of Cobra microTALK® CXT90 18-Mile radios, with desk-top chargers. I found them online for $50 for a pair, with rechargable batteries. They consistently work well at 10km range.

Edited by whiskywizard

Well I'm betting on one thing, they're all rolling off Hop Sings conveyer belt after being "dressed" in different covers with different names. Roll'em over and check Made in _______. The only way I see getting ones that have the power is to go cross border shopping and get the 5 watt GMRS models that are not available here.

Well I'm betting on one thing, they're all rolling off Hop Sings conveyer belt after being "dressed" in different covers with different names. Roll'em over and check Made in _______. The only way I see getting ones that have the power is to go cross border shopping and get the 5 watt GMRS models that are not available here.

I have a set of the Motorola ones. ;)