Whats the best way to slow my boat down for trolling?

coreyhkh

LEAVE THE TRAILER ATTACHEDwhistling.gif JUST KIDDINGwhistling.gif

That's a good one. I think it was done on Myth Busters, awhile back.

I tie my drift sock and short rope to the bow loop that you hook your winch hook, measure it so it goes about half-way under your boat. Just don't forget it :oops:

Hey guys I need a way to slow my boat down I troll to fast with my 90hp. I have looked at those prop plates and drift socks they both seem to have there down sides though, the best way would be a second small engine but that is would take a large chunk of coin.

Would drift socks work or would they cause issues.

any feed back would be welcome.

thanks.

Do you have an electric trolling motor? If yes, you can troll with it. My main motor (a 60 HP 4/stroke) trolls down to about 2 MPH on a calm day, which I feel is too fast for walleye. I drop the electric and troll with it then use the main as a rudder. I have an on-board charger and can usually go an entire weekend on one charge.

Jim

I have a 17.5 ft Lund Outfitter with a 90 Yamaha. When I am trolling for walleye on Quinte in the Fall, I put 2 cloth grocery bags out, one off of each front cleat. This will put my trolling speed down to .7 - .8 mph. The length of rope is long enough for me to reach over from the console to pick them out of the water. If you put one out on each side of the boat from the front cleats, you will still have quick responsive steering when required. Experience tells me by placing the trolling socks or cloth bags out from the stern cleats, the prop wash gets put into the bags and causes the boat to not respond to turning . The grocery bags take up no room, in fact they become useful when not used as speed control. On our back country trips, they work great for hauling water to put out our fire from the shore lunch. I also use them to store my anchor and rope.

I'm guessing you're trying to get into the crankbait zone, 1.6-2mph? You probably troll down to about 2.5 now? Anyhow, sometimes just the simplest of things can help. I think someone mentioned troll in to the wind. If you have a windshield close it when going into the wind. Another thing is don't troll in a straight line- zig zag some. It will not only help slow down the inside bait but trigger strikes. If you have auto trim, try playing with your trim adjust. The fourth option would be to drag something. Drop your bow mount motor if is have one, if not drag something, bags, windsock, etc. I would add a kicker before adding a trolling plate. If all those fail find one of those split open Crestliners, they're all over the lake, tie him on and drag him around. :)

Billy Bob: would you let us know if your main motor quit on you one day or would you keep it a secret, given how much you pride on its durability?

SURE......I'll let you know.....it's bound to quit right....but how old are you....it might out live us both..... :D

Well after 40 years on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario this has NEVER happened to me...... :whistling: My vessel is well maintained, has all proper safety equipment onboard, has a VHF radio and I carry a cell phone....maybe I should also tow a dingy behind my fishing boat.....just in case... :rolleyes:

Never doesn't mean it won't. It only takes one time :)

You 2 should seriously get a room....

I made my own just to see if it would help. Take any 5 gallon plastic pail, cut off the upper 3-4 inches where the ridges are, save that. I made a tapered nylon sack about 3 feet long that attaches securely around the plastic pail "ring", tapers from full size to about a 6" opening. It goes overboard on the opposite side of the downrigger when I'm alone, keeps the boat running straight and helps in slowing it down. I'm sure you can make the same with something like an Ikea bag. If it works, you have accomplished something on the cheap.

Do you have an electric trolling motor? If yes, you can troll with it. My main motor (a 60 HP 4/stroke) trolls down to about 2 MPH on a calm day, which I feel is too fast for walleye. I drop the electric and troll with it then use the main as a rudder. I have an on-board charger and can usually go an entire weekend on one charge.

Jim

I did that last year as well but i dont think the electric is going to take that kind of use for a whole summer.

Dan o.

my electric is going on three seasons now...and I troll quite a bit....

but my findings and experience on the water has told me not to run in in forward, rather, run it in reverse slowing your outboard down to as slow as u need...which in some cases is less than 0.5mph (bringing kings in on the big pond)